PDA

View Full Version : Vaitsehovskaya's Tuesday interview -with Maxim Shabalin

Pages : 1 [2] 3

kwanfan1818
06-17-2010, 04:54 PM
And he's absolutely spot on with our cultural "How are you?" habit. To an outsider, I can totally see where they consider this a real inquiry as opposed to the extended "Hi" greeting that it is. It's like saying "God bless you" after someone sneezes. It's a reflex.
Because the response to "How are you?" is "Hey, how's it going?"

newmember
06-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Here we are, already criticizing him before he even starts!

And since when is stating one's opinion bashing?

Has he ever praised any of his rivals though?

TAHbKA
06-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Has he ever praised any of his rivals though?

Yes, in the interview above he calls Virtue/Moir genoius

alilou
06-17-2010, 07:38 PM
TAHbKA thank you so much for this, and all your translations. I so appreciate it. It's one of the very wonderful things about FSU that thanks to people like you we get a glimpse behind the scenes of what's going on in non-English speaking countries. For people like me who only speak English it's a great bonus. :cheer2: TAHbKA :cheer2: FSU

I didn't really see any USA bashing. He's living in a foreign country which I would guess doesn't really suit him, he's working extremely hard, he's in pain pretty much all the time. And yet he still can say good things about the country such as he would send his child to study there. Surely he's allowed his opinions, about both the US and ice dancing, without it being called bashing.

I recently spent some time in Vietnam, and absolutely fell in love with the country and would go back in a heart beat, and yet one of our friends knows people who went there and absolutely hated it. People have different experiences. Given Max's work and health situation it's not surprising his time in the US was not all rosy.

ostile17
06-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Lol, I think the usual confusion is assuming I like the skaters who are interviewed. Which is wrong, I actually like the interviewer (Vaitshovskaya. Think she is brilliant in the way she makes them talk and sound)

I never doubted that you liked Vaitshovskaya! :lol:

Cloudy_Gumdrops
06-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the translation.

I did get kinda annoyed with his comments about the United States, but then I got over it. I'm sure every skater who changes countries or just trains in a different country than their birth has the same kinds of thoughts; cultural differences and all. They just don't usually get asked those questions in their interviews.

caseyedwards
06-18-2010, 12:30 AM
I feel the same about Davis and White! Why are they so fast? I don't like their speed.

kwanfan1818
06-18-2010, 12:41 AM
I feel the same about Davis and White! Why are they so fast? I don't like their speed.
They sold their missing souls to the :EVILLE: for :gallopin1.

TAHbKA
06-18-2010, 01:56 AM

Especially when trying to photograph! I always get the empty ice (though it happens with the local novices as well, so perhaps it's my photographing skills...... )

oubik
06-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Especially when trying to photograph! I always get the empty ice (though it happens with the local novices as well, so perhaps it's my photographing skills...... )

Itīs opposite, your local novice skaters are so slow you havenīt enough patience waiting for them so long with the finger on the release :dog:

Tan6ka, thanks for all your translations and hard work.

ostile17
06-18-2010, 11:40 AM
What the Americans showed doesn't look like and ice dance to me at all. I can only see the kids who are running fast across the ice and do some acrobatics. If I were a judge at the Original I would put them outside the top 3.

He's actually saying Compulsory Dances (обязательный танец) here, and not Original dance.
So the correct version would be :
If I were a judge of the Compulsory Dances I would put them outside the top 3.

TAHbKA
06-18-2010, 06:49 PM
ostile17, you are right. Thanks for the correction (where is the `edit' button when you need one?)

ostile17
06-18-2010, 07:57 PM
ostile17, you are right. Thanks for the correction (where is the `edit' button when you need one?)

It vanishes after 24 hours...Poof!

Fallcolor
06-19-2010, 12:58 AM
What an interesting interview...especially the comments on D/W ;)

Domshabfan
06-19-2010, 05:29 PM
i agree with him, when he says that Russian skating federation needs evolution rather than evolution. Thanks for the translation TAHbKA.