PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD-7-The Competition Begins

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15

Satellitegirl
06-17-2010, 02:47 PM
I think Alex has the potential to dance the best dance in this show's history, but in this case the choreography was a bit of a hindrance.

Yeah, I completely agree. I was stunned at how wonderful he was in the auditions, but this choreography was just too blah/slow for me.

Aceon6
06-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Re Melinda. Melinda should have done SO much better with that piece. She's used to dancing in heels and should have been familiar with the music. I think Tony (who has Broadway experience and should know tap) designed it to take advantage of her ability to retract quickly and to shift weight quickly, so I have no clue why it came across so poorly. The killer was the spin... A tap spin HAS to be dead on center to avoid getting thrown off on the sole of the shoe, but she didn't even get her's on to the ball of her foot and wobbled off. Not good.

genevieve
06-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Why do people like Cristina? She is hurky-jerky, and has a very rigid back. Ick. And Jose? Really? I used to think that you understood dance, but now I know that you are a faker. :wall:
Oh, whatever :drama: :P

I know Cristina and Jose aren't the best dancers this season, but I do like them both, and I don't want them to leave right away. And the other dancers I really like this season should not be in any danger to leave this week so I didn't need to vote for them.

dancinsk8
06-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Does Alex remind anyone else of Michelle Kwan?

Yes! Thought he could be her brother --different last names withstanding :)

AYS
06-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I really, really love Alex, but I want to see him do something like a lyrical hip hop because I can't tell if he is a little tense around the shoulders, or if that is just what all his dances have called for so far.

Allskate
06-17-2010, 05:39 PM
So far, I'm liking this new season. I don't care if the all-stars outshine a contestant. At least I get to see the likes of Mark, Pasha, and Kathryn every week. If a contestant doesn't want an all-star to overshadow them, then they have to step up their dancing. (Though if it's the choreographer's fault, that's something else.)

I thought the praise was out of proportion for Hallelujah. I didn't like the jerkiness of the choreography, but it was well-danced. Overall, there are a bunch of strong dancers. (Why have they been hiding Robert from us?) I think Kent is always going to get bonus points for being a cute sweet boy from small town Ohio. I think they definitely would have found more to criticize if it had been someone else dancing that.

I'd send Melinda home tonight. I'd put Alexie there with her. (That song is a jazz-influenced song that is literally about sex and there was nothing sensual or sexy about her performance.) I'd probably add Ashley to the bottom three. I think they're clearly out of their depth with this crowd.

Was Mia on meds? She seemed much nicer and happier than usual. :lol:

Cosmic Connect
06-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Was Mia on meds? She seemed much nicer and happier than usual. :lol:

I think it's the endorphins from the charge of taking Mary's spot.

Rob
06-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Sabra was Dominic's original partner. Courtney was with Gev (and in a different season). Did he drop her? I only remember that they had a little showmance and were adorkable.
Don't recall Courtney getting dropped. Domenic dropped Sabra several times in rehearsal and at least once on the back of her head hard in the Hairspray routine performance. Gev did have a big crush on Courtney.

(Why have they been hiding Robert from us?)

They just showed a clip from his original audition, but you could see him in a number of Vegas week routines - he wasn't the focus, but you could see him if you knew who he was. I checked out youtube on all the finalist spoilers so I recognized him. He didn't bring it all the time in Vegas week, so I was puzzled by his selection over Adrian and Anthony, but boy am I glad that they chose him - his performance level is terrific.

Re Lauren, Adam seemed to think she wasn't taking the corrections because she was saying "thank you" to negative comments? In my school, we always said thank you to comments whether they were praise or corrections because the teacher was helping you either way. It was an acknowledgement that the teacher was spending effort on you and you appreciated it. No one told us to, we just picked up on it from hearing the older girls do it. Maybe that is a ballet thing?

genevieve
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
I think on reality competition shows, you're kind of damned if you do or damned if you don't when hearing critiques. If you're polite, the judges can decide you're not really listening to what they're saying. If you respond, you're arguing. If you say nothing, you're either arrogant or don't understand the comments. not saying this happens to everyone, but there's an unpredictability (particularly so early in the season) about how the judges will take any reaction, and how they want to spin a competitor's image which might have nothing to do with their dancing.

Rob
06-17-2010, 06:55 PM
I guess you have to say "thank you so much for the comments, they are really helpful" in a really sincere, but not sarcastic voice. And nod a lot. And make faces like Kent!

reckless
06-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Adechike/Kathryn - Travis Jazz. Erg... this piece was completely choreographed to highlight the woman. Sure, a more powerful performer could have overcome the choreography and had a bit more presence, but I think that's a big fail for Travis, in that it was his JOB to create a piece that shows the contestant. Also, this isn't the first time the show has had a piece with a very dark-skinned man partnering a very pale woman, where the lighting/costumes completely direct your eye to the woman and the man almost disappears. They've got professional costumers and lighting crew, there's no excuse for that.
I think this comment is spot-on. The choreo and everything you identified were all wrong for Adechike. It reminds me of when Evan was given a "broadway" dance that used Fosse choreography. "Broadway" was supposed to be Evan's style, but his body type and movements were completely wrong for that type of Broadway choreo. And being paired with Katheryn who has such intensity and was in her wheelhouse only made Adechike look even weaker by comparison. I was always concerned that the All-Stars format would lead to choreographers choreographing to the strengths of their pet dancers with the expectation that the competitors must adapt.

Meredith
06-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Does Alex remind anyone else of Michelle Kwan?

Alex Wong doesn't remind me so much of Michelle Kwan as he does Daisuke Takahashi. This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ4ttYh6ifA reminds me why. Both Wong and Takahashi both seek to infuse their art form with something unfamiliar to them. I like that in both.

All-Stars format notwithstanding, there is quite a strong group of contestants this season, and I'm enjoying it!

Matryeshka
06-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Solid Gold called, and they want their routines back in the 80s where they belong. This is such a bizarre mishmash of styles--one of those numbers that after watched three times while :nopryde: would either become tres voidy or a great crime against humanity.

Theatregirl1122
06-18-2010, 02:06 AM
Every time Hallelujah comes on, I feel like there is going to be a sad movie montage.

Cyn
06-18-2010, 02:07 AM
Solid Gold called, and they want their routines back in the 80s where they belong. This is such a bizarre mishmash of styles--one of those numbers that after watched three times while :alcool: would either become tres voidy or a great crime against humanity.

:rofl:

Watching that, I was having flashbacks to the intro to Goddess from Showgirls - I half expected Elizabeth Berkeley to be hoisted by the guys at some point.