PDA

View Full Version : Life Expectancy Calendar

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Gil-Galad
06-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Is hispanic really a race? And if it is, who exactly is hispanic? Everyone from Latin America?

They should have a mixed race thingy.

Accordding to this I should really take more risks in my life, I don't want to turn 90-something.

ChelleC
06-16-2010, 02:51 PM
I like this one!

Biological Age: 33
Virtual Age 24.6

Life expectancy: 82.4

snoopy
06-16-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm apparently doing a lot of the wrong things. My life expectancy is 63.1 years. The upside is that I don't have to save for retirement.

BlueRidge
06-16-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm apparently doing a lot of the wrong things. My life expectancy is 63.1 years. The upside is that I don't have to save for retirement.

what's killing you off? smoking? risky behaviors? work stress?

I need to know so I don't have to save for retirement either... ;)

My lack of job satisfaction was the only thing that gave me a break at all

agalisgv
06-16-2010, 03:17 PM
My lack of job satisfaction was the only thing that gave me a break at all Become Native American--that will take you down a few notches

BlueRidge
06-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Become Native American--that will take you down a few notches

:(

Well in the real world, yes, having race and economic privilege is a big reason for long life expectancy, hence mine. Not sure that calculator took that into account however.

Beefcake
06-16-2010, 03:46 PM
I must be living right. Took it once, and thought that it was too high :COP: ... maybe I was embellishing the "good living" aspect. Took it again, underselling a bit, but came up just a year shorter.

I'll take 93.4 years, thankyouverymuch ... pretty damned good for a guy. But dammit not if the last ones are a mess like my grandmother. (She's 93, now, and sharp as a tack, but so frustrated that her body has been progressively letting her down for the past four years.) I'll take whatever I can in "good years". :)

Noted these big "+" things on my scale: "Athletic" build = +2 years. No family coronary disease history = +2. Parental/grandparent longevity = +2. Interesting that, according to this scale (and to other studies and advice) one can add years by being happy, liking their work, and being generally anxiety-free and optimistic.

oleada
06-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Is hispanic really a race? And if it is, who exactly is hispanic? Everyone from Latin America?

It's not a race. I mean, I'm from South America, but my heritage is Spanish, what am I supposed to pick? :rolleyes:

attyfan
06-16-2010, 03:58 PM
My virtual age is 10 years younger than my actual age.
My life expectancy is closing in on 90! (Not sure how I feel about that.)

I'm the same (with a life expectancy of 86) -- better save more, I might need it!

skatingfan5
06-16-2010, 04:08 PM
I guess no driving, no smoking, no high risk activities, and no history of heart disease in the family can overcome being overweight and no regular medical exams, because my virtual age is 15 years younger than my actual age -- and my life expectancy is 93.1! :eek: Actually it's probably my long-lived maternal relatives and a surprisingly high HDL level. :shuffle: Downside is that given the dire fiscal condition of my pension system, I probably should plan on working until I'm 80 to afford any retirement :( . Maybe I should take up sky diving. :lol: BR, you could join me.

BlueRidge
06-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm fine with working to 80 if I'm going to live into my 90s, but the problem is, I don't think the economy can accomodate all of us with employment!

I don't think I'll take up skydiving however. Maybe race car driving or somethng... zoooooooooom

nerdycool
06-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Biological Age: 29
Virtual Age 9.6
Life expectancy: 93.4

I'm curious to know why cancer isn't included in the questions. I was certain it would be, and that it would take me down a few notches, as I have a strong family history of breast cancer. Anyway, add me to the list of people who aren't necessarily looking forward to old age. Anything higher than 90 is a little too high for me.

skatingfan5
06-16-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm curious to know why cancer isn't included in the questions. I was certain it would be, and that it would take me down a few notches, as I have a strong family history of breast cancer. I wondered about that as well. Cancer is the unfortunate part of my family history. :(
Anyway, add me to the list of people who aren't necessarily looking forward to old age. Anything higher than 90 is a little too high for me.My paternal grandmother lived to 96 and up until 93 was living alone, putting in her garden every year, and hiking up the road (about a half mile and a very steep hill) to play cards with the neighbors. Unfortunately the stroke she had at 93 took all that away -- it didn't affect her physical self, but mentally she just couldn't live alone anymore (she couldn't keep track of her medications, much less handle her bills).

snoopy
06-16-2010, 04:34 PM
what's killing you off? smoking? risky behaviors? work stress?

It is lack of good behaviors, work stress and family health issues. But seriously, not having to save for retirement would be one less stress to deal with for sure!

sk8er1964
06-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Not to be a huge downer, but I took it for my DH. He's 44, and his virtual age was in the 60's. His life expectency is in the 50's. This doesn't surprise me, because he smokes, has high blood pressure and won't go to the doctor. I've assumed for years that I will be a widow in my 50's, and financially I am planning accordingly.

ETA - According to this, I'm going to live until my mid-80's. That's about right for women in my family.