PDA

View Full Version : High $takes $kating - Who will be 2010-11 GPF Champion (Ladies)?

UMBS Go Blue
06-15-2010, 02:42 PM
One bet only: who will be the 2010-11 Grand Prix Final Champion (Ladies)?

nerdycool
06-15-2010, 06:21 PM
What will happen should someone decide not to do the GP series?

UMBS Go Blue
06-15-2010, 06:23 PM
The bet remains open and any amounts bet on someone who doesn't participate or withdraws are lost.

BigB08822
06-19-2010, 04:10 AM
Oh man, one bet only??? Hmmm...

Beefcake
07-01-2010, 06:51 PM
UMBS, sweetie, could you extend these thru July? Or August even?

UMBS Go Blue
07-01-2010, 06:58 PM
No. :P

You probably realized it too when you set up your high-stakes vBets of the past (well, knowing you, maybe not :P) , but the high stakes should reflect an appropriate risk/return tradeoff (http://www.investopedia.com/university/concepts/concepts1.asp) that incorporates:

1) the time value and opportunity costs of tying up vCash through the actual event,
2) the risk of withdrawals, injuries, retirements, etc.,
3) the uncertainty of who will come up with good programs during the summer; and
4) the one-bet-only limit as weighed against the probability-weighted number of bet options. ;)

For example, while I personally like Mao, I don't know whether:

1) she will end up competing on the GPF circuit this year,
2) if Yu-Na also does the GPF circuit,
3) if somebody else wins,
4) she withdraws from GPF for whatever reason,
5) she fails to make GPF, etc. etc.

So, given the first 4 criteria above, particularly the time value, opportunity costs, and myriad uncertainties, the odds in this bet are appropriate. From the above link:

Low levels of uncertainty (low risk) are associated with low potential returns. High levels of uncertainty (high risk) are associated with high potential returns.
A common misconception is that higher risk equals greater return. The risk/return tradeoff tells us that the higher risk gives us the possibility of higher returns. There are no guarantees. Just as risk means higher potential returns, it also means higher potential losses.

I will have another series of high-stakes vBets on the World Champions later in the summer, so more chances to bet on essentially the same field of skaters. And there's a series of high-stakes vBets on the US champions open through July 4th. :P

Also, closer to the end of the summer, I can introduce a new series of high-stakes vBets, only with not-so-high stakes because it'll be obvious who's staying on at that point, who's skating to what, and even what their programs look like. :)

Beefcake
07-01-2010, 07:22 PM
No. :P

You probably realized it too when you set up your high-stakes vBets of the past (well, knowing you, maybe not :P) , but the high stakes should reflect an appropriate risk/return tradeoff (http://www.investopedia.com/university/concepts/concepts1.asp) that incorporates ...
:lol: My criteria was: I just wanted people to have fun ...

... even if that meant that one might become a gazillionnaire :shuffle:

UMBS Go Blue
07-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Well, fortunately, "appropriate risk/return tradeoff" does include an "arbitrary intangible generosity multiplier" here at FSU. Just more rationally so under the current vBookie than the previous vBookie where it was more of an "arbitrary intangible not-able-to-crunch-spreadsheets multiplier." :P

BigB08822
07-19-2010, 05:41 AM
Kim is out, looks like no one put very much money on her, though. Good betting thus far!

nerdycool
11-28-2010, 11:39 PM
I put a big bet on Mao (big bet for me anyway) :wuzrobbed

JeffClair1979
11-29-2010, 04:37 AM
Yikes, who would have thought that just about NOBODY who bet will win! Mao didn't qualify, Yu-Na is out, and Mirai is an alternate...

"Someone Else" FTW! Whoever put that $20 vBet is going to make out like a bandit! :)

UMBS Go Blue
12-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Reopening this bet with revised odds because I'm having difficulty creating new bets.

For those of you who participated in the original High $takes version, don't worry, your original bets will be preserved at your original odds.

You are at your own risk if your skater withdraws - no bet cancellation or refunds.

UMBS Go Blue
12-08-2010, 10:32 PM
I've noticed that some people have wagered on some of the 65535/1 skaters. Ummm... unless they're alternates, they're not even showing up at the event, in which case they won't win. Hence the "DNQ" for "did not qualify" and the 65535/1 odds. :COP:

UMBS Go Blue
12-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Congrats Alissa! And LadyNit! :cheer2: