PDA

View Full Version : Design Divas, and no, I'm not talking about Vern Yip: HGTV Design Star

Pages : 1 [2]

skatesindreams
06-15-2010, 03:04 PM
I suspect that it isn't cost-effective for HGTV to "carry" a "wannabe" designer for long enough to see whether they really have what it takes for a successful show. The "wannabes" really don't know what the field, or television, demands. It can be a rude awakening.

rfisher
06-15-2010, 05:05 PM
I think you can be a good decorator but not be good on TV. This happens on the Food Network Star all the time. So many don't know how to talk to the camera.

ArtisticFan
06-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Wasn't it dog food? I think someone copied the idea last year when they were at the grocery store. Maybe used charcoal?

I think you're right on the charcoal. The year they did the dollar store someone used black construction paper. I guess there is one each season that thinks it will work.

smurfy
06-15-2010, 05:41 PM
But what suprised me in this first episode, other than the final 2, the hosting was not as relevant for the others. But none of the rooms were wow, and sounds like so many of these folks are professional designers/formal training. David B I think was an artist, Kym did something really cool with her table (and I think a fan of design, not a professional), and Jen did her cool wall painting...

Also something to remember, the girl that did not mention bohemian until the end when she threw the guy under the bus (Nina?). Either Candice or Gen mentioned he was set up. Interesting to see if that pops up again. As much as this is a competition, I wonder if the judges also want someoen that can get along with others and is trustworthy.