PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix 2010-2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68

Seerek
11-17-2010, 03:04 AM
Armin should get it....he literally came out of nowhere at Skate America...I mean his PCS reached the 7s overnight! :eek: :lol:

Another one of those "strange" occurrences where skaters get their PCS marks noticeably lifted because they skate in the last vs. the first group:

Average component scores...

Daisuke Murakami - Short program - average 6.15
Long program - average 6.82 (+0.67)

Armin Mahbanoozedeh - Short Program - average 6.11
Long Program - average 6.99 (+0.88)

compare this to the top 2:

Daisuke Takahashi - Short Program - average 8.48
Long Program - average 8.50 (+0.02)

Nobunari Oda - Short Program - average 7.94
Long Program - average 7.96 (+0.02)

Hmmmm :COP:

Jenna
11-17-2010, 03:11 AM
Another one of those "strange" occurrences where skaters get their PCS marks noticeably lifted because they skate in the last vs. the first group:

Well, this just says it all. Murakami and Mahbanoozadeh were the first two to compete in the short. :rolleyes:

siberia82
11-17-2010, 03:46 AM
it would be beyond boring to spend the entire time watching a couple of top people and a whole bunch of OES. :/
Well, Berntsson may be a lowly OES, but the Canadian crowd screamed like crazy during his LP at Skate Canada! :cheer: The elderly man who sat next to me in the arena seemed puzzled by the (or maybe just my :P) enthusiastic reaction because Kristoffer was neither Canadian nor a medal contender. The man asked me, "So I gather that this young gentleman is very popular with the ladies, right?" :lol:

Just because a skater doesn't have a hope in hell in finishing in the Top 3 (or the Top 10 for that matter :shuffle:), it doesn't automatically mean that they're boring. Berntsson only finished 11th at SC, but he was one of the highlights of the event for me. :respec: His performance is probably a lot less impressive on a 2-dimensional screen, but in person, it was exciting to see his gangster/MJ moves and watch him fight for his landings. The fangirls in the audience squealed everytime Kristoffer managed to save his jumps, and the electric atmosphere was maintained even as he ran out of steam towards the end.

OBSCURE...
Do we have acronyms for obscure North American, Asian, etc. skaters as well, or is obscurity unique to Europeans? ;)

stjeaskategym
11-17-2010, 03:58 AM

compare this to the top 2:

Daisuke Takahashi - Short Program - average 8.48
Long Program - average 8.50 (+0.02)

Nobunari Oda - Short Program - average 7.94
Long Program - average 7.96 (+0.02)

Hmmmm :COP:

In Mahbanoozedeh's case, he skated really well in the LP, and it was a better overall performance than the SP. An increase in PCS makes sense.

In Takahashi and Oda's case, they didn't skate any better in the LP than they did in the SP. PCS stay the same.

In Murakami's case, he skated well and deserved to be placed ahead of Kevin Van Der Perren, who finished just a couple of points behind him in the LP. So the PCS go up.

I don't think it was a "last vs. first group" thing as much as it was ranking the skaters in the proper order based on how they skated. No, this isn't quite how PCS are supposed to work, but sometimes human judgment works better than mathematical formulas.

victoriaheidi
11-17-2010, 06:10 AM
Well, Berntsson may be a lowly OES, but the Canadian crowd screamed like crazy during his LP at Skate Canada! :cheer: The elderly man who sat next to me in the arena seemed puzzled by the (or maybe just my :P) enthusiastic reaction because Kristoffer was neither Canadian nor a medal contender. The man asked me, "So I gather that this young gentleman is very popular with the ladies, right?" :lol:

Just because a skater doesn't have a hope in hell in finishing in the Top 3 (or the Top 10 for that matter :shuffle:), it doesn't automatically mean that they're boring. Berntsson only finished 11th at SC, but he was one of the highlights of the event for me. :respec: His performance is probably a lot less impressive on a 2-dimensional screen, but in person, it was exciting to see his gangster/MJ moves and watch him fight for his landings. The fangirls in the audience squealed everytime Kristoffer managed to save his jumps, and the electric atmosphere was maintained even as he ran out of steam towards the end.

Less that for me, more that I'm sick of some people who could be really interesting (like Amanda Dobbs or Armin) getting passed over for other people of equal obscurity for no particularly good reason.

NMURA
11-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Less that for me, more that I'm sick of some people who could be really interesting (like Amanda Dobbs or Armin) getting passed over for other people of equal obscurity for no particularly good reason.

The host countries pay the bill for invited skaters. France or Russia will prefer European skaters with very good reasons.

Karen-W
11-17-2010, 06:59 AM
The host countries pay the bill for invited skaters. France or Russia will prefer European skaters with very good reasons.

Because they're cheap?

rhumba
11-17-2010, 07:26 AM
I was surprised to see Zhang/Toth got TEB. I am just wondering if "Host pick" team, such as Duhamel/Radford, can be invited to the 2nd GP after a good show at Skate Cananda?

carrot
11-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Because they're cheap?

Because they have a budget that they have to follow.

Squibble
11-17-2010, 08:18 AM

Oh, please! Skaters from the six host federations have it much easier than their counterparts from other countries. First, they can get chosen as host picks. Second, if you have say, the fiftieth or sixtieth highest Season's Best score in your discipline, you stand a much better chance of getting an invitation to another federation's Grand Prix than if you're from, say, Slovakia or South Korea.

And then there are skaters (Ana Cecilia Cantu, for example) who can be "really interesting" but don't have the Season's Best scores to qualify for the Grand Prix and don't get host picks because they're from the wrong country. [/soapbox]

Because they're cheap?

Exactly. Round trip airfare to Paris is a heck of a lot cheaper from Budapest than from Montreal, Los Angeles, or Sydney.

Eislauffan
11-17-2010, 09:50 AM
The French Fed has invited Jinlin Guan from China now. Hopefully they'll also replace Sergei Voronov.

Jeschke
11-17-2010, 11:20 AM
The French Fed has invited Jinlin Guan from China now. Hopefully they'll also replace Sergei Voronov.

nice for him, but this is so weird. he was 8th at the cup of china, armin was 3rd, thatīs stupid

burntBREAD
11-17-2010, 11:40 AM
nice for him, but this is so weird. he was 8th at the cup of china, armin was 3rd, thatīs stupid

They don't want their own skaters' chances at the GPF to be jeopardized? :confused:

Jeschke
11-17-2010, 11:47 AM
They don't want their own skaters' chances at the GPF to be jeopardized? :confused:

i understand that, but itīs a competition, i am not not not not happy with that :D

Zemgirl
11-17-2010, 12:08 PM
If Armin continues to skate well, I'm sure he'll have no problem at all getting more assignments in the future. He did have two assignments last year, after all, something not everyone gets when moving up from juniors.

Personally I'd expected it to be Berntsson, who has a higher ranking than both Armin and Jinlin Guan, is not really a threat to be on the podium, and is fun to watch besides.