PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix 2010-2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

HisWeirness
08-11-2010, 04:24 PM
That's really weird. I thought the rules were that if you withdrew from one assignment you couldn't get a different one (so that Zhang/Wang couldn't get Cup of China now)? I guess we'll see.

Yeah, the rule is:

Non-seeded skaters/couples will not be assigned to another event if they choose not to skate in an assigned event.

Not sure if Zhang/Wang chose not to skate at Skate Canada (they were the original replacement for McLaughlin/Brubaker) or if the Host Federations are just moving some assignments around. Time will tell. Right now the CHN TBA spot at Cup of China is still open.

Updated Pairs GP List

* indicates JGP age-eligible.

Teams guaranteed 2 assignments (based on finish at 2010 Worlds) and received 2 assignments
(2) Savchenko/Szolkowy GER 1 WS; 4 SB
(2) Pang/Tong CHN 2 WS; 2 SB
(2) Kavuguti/Smirnov RUS 3 WS; 3 SB
(2) Zhang/Zhang CHN 4 WS; 6 SB
(2) Dube/Davison CAN 6 WS; 8 SB
(2) Denney/Barrett USA 10 WS; 10 SB
(2) Bazarova/Larionov RUS 11 SB
(2) Evora/Ladwig USA 17 WS; 12 SB
(2) Berton/Hotarek ITA 24 SB

Teams guaranteed 1 assignment and received 2 assignments
(2) Iliushechkina/Maisuradze RUS 15 WS; 20 SB - China and Canada
(2) Della Monica/Kocon ITA 13 WS; 15 SB

Teams guaranteed 1 assignment and received 1 assignment
(1) *Takahashi/Tran JPN 8 WS; 19 SB; JGPF2/JW2 - NHK TBA & Russia (will most likely get TBA JPN NHK spot)
(1) Zhang/Wang CHN 9 WS; JGPF3 - NHK (removed from Skate Canada on 11 Aug)
(1) Brodeur/Mattatall CAN 11 WS; 22 SB - France
(1) *Sui/Han CHN 12 WS; 13 SB; JGPF1/JW1- America (also doing JGP?)
(1) Dong/Wu CHN 14 WS - Canada
(1) Inoue/Baldwin USA 16 WS; 16 SB - NHK
(1) Castelli/Shnapir USA 18 WS - Canada
(1) Kemp/King GBR 20 WS - America
(1) Yankowskas/Coughlin USA 21 WS; 18 SB - China (rumored to get a TBA at Skate America)
(1) Novik/Kuznetsov RUS 22 WS - Russia
(1) Martiusheva/Rogonov RUS 23 WS - Canada
(1) *Stolbova/Klimov RUS 24 WS; JW3 - America (also JGP?)

Teams on the Alternates List that received one assignment
(1) 27 Moore-Towers/Moscovitch CAN - America
(1) 31 Simpson/Miller USA - Russia
(1) 32 Hausch/Wende GER - NHK
(1) 33 Hole/Johnson CAN - China
(1) 36 Sulej/Chruscinski POL - France
(1) 42 Lawrence/Swiegers CAN - Canada

Teams on the Alternates List with no assignments and not age-eligible for JGP
47 Zhang/Toth USA
52 Kostenko/Talan UKR
62 Bobak/Penasse CAN
64 Ivanova/Zalevski BUL

Host Picks
(1) James/Coia FRA - France (status?)

TBAs
(1) NHK Trophy TBA (held for Takahashi/Tran)
(1) Canada TBA
(1) China TBA
(2) America TBA (one TBA is rumored to go to Yankowskas/Coughlin)
(1) Russia TBA
(1) France TBA

Sylvia
08-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Or maybe the host federations can swap around these TBA/replacement assignments as long as it's before the August 15 confirmation of participation deadline?

euterpe
08-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Or maybe the host federations can swap around these TBA/replacement assignments as long as it's before the August 15 confirmation of participation deadline?

JMO, but if the ISU allows Z/W to be assigned to a different assignment (even a host pick) after withdrawing from one assignment, it will set a dangerous precedent.

ETA-However, if Z/W were named as a replacement for McLaughlin/Brubaker, and found the trip between NHK and SC too exhausting, their federation should have a right to not accept the assignment, especially if the TBA in China was being reserved for Z/W.

kwanfan1818
08-11-2010, 05:05 PM
ETA-However, if Z/W were named as a replacement for McLaughlin/Brubaker, and found the trip between NHK and SC too exhausting, their federation should have a right to not accept the assignment, especially if the TBA in China was being reserved for Z/W.
I agree with this for back-to-back assignments on other continents, because a Federation could play this angle to put a rival skater/team at a disadvantage, even if it's position their lower-level skaters for higher placement and maybe even $$$.

Not saying it happened here, but it could.

In this case, it might have been an administrative error where CHN submitted paperwork to assign Zhang/Wang to CoC, and it wasn't processed properly.

shan
08-11-2010, 06:42 PM
So what is the deadline for filling the TBA spot at Skate America? Could it be between S/M and C/S for a second spot? Aside from Y/C, did any team prove themselves in summer comps?

oleada
08-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Yay for I/M! :cheer2:

dinakt
08-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Yay for I/M! :cheer2:
I second that! I find them very compelling and hope they solve his shoulder ( or was it arm) problems, her jump problems and whatever else was holding them back.

SUN
08-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks Sylvia.
When is the deadline of the TBA spots? Some of them are pretty obvious who will get them, e.g. the Reeds for NHK, Blanc/Bouquet for TEB. Is there a reason not to announce now and wait until deadline?

The deadline for aannouncing TBA spots is September 1.

SUN
08-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I agree with this for back-to-back assignments on other continents, because a Federation could play this angle to put a rival skater/team at a disadvantage, even if it's position their lower-level skaters for higher placement and maybe even $$$.

Not saying it happened here, but it could.

In this case, it might have been an administrative error where CHN submitted paperwork to assign Zhang/Wang to CoC, and it wasn't processed properly.

IMO, Ilushechkina/Maisuradze are now in e worse situation than Z/W because for them Canada and China are back to back and both are in different time zones and long distance travel all the way Moscow-Canada-China-Moscow.

hanca
08-11-2010, 08:10 PM
IMO, Ilushechkina/Maisuradze are now in e worse situation than Z/W because for them Canada and China are back to back and both are in different time zones and long distance travel all the way Moscow-Canada-China-Moscow.

I agree but if the choice was this or nothing... I am sure they won't be the only ones.

Last year Mao had two assignments back to back and each of them on a different continent with a different time zone. And that was first two GPs of the season...

SUN
08-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I agree but if the choice was this or nothing... I am sure they won't be the only ones.

Last year Mao had two assignments back to back and each of them on a different continent with a different time zone. And that was first two GPs of the season...

AFAIK, last year Mao had 2 assignments-France (1st) and Russia (5th?).

For I/M another option could be TBA Russia

SamuraiK
08-11-2010, 08:21 PM

For I/M another option could be TBA Russia

That spot is more likely going to one of Gerboldt/Enbert, Mukhortova/Blanchard or Imaikina/Bezmaternikh.. the one that does best at the russian test skates or Senior B. Unfortunately Tatiana Volosozhar can't compete internationally for Russia until mid February:(

chipso1
08-11-2010, 08:27 PM

The GP order was different last year. It went France-Russia-China-Japan-United States-Canada.

SUN
08-11-2010, 08:33 PM
The GP order was different last year. It went France-Russia-China-Japan-United States-Canada.

I remember she had France and Russia and both are pretty short travel between them (at least not as between Canada and China) and only 2 hours time difference. This was not difficult for Mao considering that she was training in Moscow prior to GP.

dinakt
08-11-2010, 08:37 PM

It looks terribly difficult, you are right. Perhaps it was that or 1 GP. Tough choices.