PDA

View Full Version : Joannie most likely won't do Grand Prix

Pages : 1 [2] 3

tapper88
06-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I wonder if she's been back to her parent's house at all? I know previously she said she's been avoiding it :(

Skateushka
06-11-2010, 08:47 PM
what a boring article.

MikiAndoFan#1
06-11-2010, 08:51 PM
what a boring article.

:rolleyes:

Tony Wheeler
06-11-2010, 09:46 PM
It's interesting to me how Bev Smith worded this article. She says that Joannie is going to compete at the Japan Open, which means she'd either need to practice her Samson & Delilah free skate, or create a whole new program and make sure she's in decent shape by the beginning of October. She then goes on to say that since Joannie is taking the rest of this month off, that she won't have time to be ready for the Grand Prix, which occurs AFTER the Japan Open, and at least one of the events would be far less traveling (as she would most likely get Skate Canada).

I'm wondering if she's holding off to maybe see if Scott Hamilton actually has those pro competitions he has planned become a reality?

robinhood
06-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Well, I think the Japan Open might have a very substantial and lucrative appearance fee. That attracts, as all the shows, way more than the upcoming GP season which in case Joannie continues she doesn't need to build a name or a reputation for the moment.
I'm on the opinion we won't see Rochette compete anymore. She's never struck me as a person who strives with competition. I hope I'm wrong, though. She's the most mature lady out there today, and her skills are to die for

shine
06-12-2010, 12:16 AM
I don't want Joannie to retire :( I was still so looking forward to seeing her new competitive programs for next season. Somehow I have a feeling that she still has more competitive fire left in her, and just needs more time to regroup and rejuvenate. I want to see how far she can take her skating now that she doesn't have the pressure of proving herself as she did before. I really hope she stays for at least a season or two. *crosses fingers*

orbitz
06-12-2010, 12:32 AM
I don't see Rochette returning to the ISU competitive circuit either. How she handled herself at the Olympics has opened so many doors for her. She should take advantages of those opportunities while they're there. She won't have time to train seriously nor do I think she would want to go back to the daily grind of training.

genevieve
06-12-2010, 12:51 AM
I would also love for Joannie to stay eligible...but it would be a surprise if she did. Especially if she needs to find a new coach - is that for certain? I read through the other thread for a while but didn't see anything definitive about Perron...but I nodded off when talk resumed to Joubert :shuffle:

I think holding off on a decision to see if anything comes of the pro comps is smart.

Tony Wheeler
06-12-2010, 01:01 AM
I would also love for Joannie to stay eligible...but it would be a surprise if she did. Especially if she needs to find a new coach - is that for certain?

I think holding off on a decision to see if anything comes of the pro comps is smart.

As far as I understand it, yes-- and I feel the exact same way you do re: working with a new coach and adjusting to possible different training habits, etc. Perron agreed that she would only be able to coach Rochette until the end of the Olympic season. All of her other students had moved to work full-time with other coaches, and Joannie was the one exception because of her potential heading into Vancouver.

masofs
06-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Oh no... I really hope she stays! Please, please, please!

Jot the Dot Dot
06-12-2010, 02:04 AM
I don't want her to retire either. But I don't want her to step onto the ice if her heart is not in it. She's had a good career. Whatever she decides, let's wish her all the best.

euterpe
06-12-2010, 02:29 AM
I also have the feeling Joannie won't compete any more. And it would be pretty tough for her to enter any competition if she's been off the ice since February. The longer the training gap, the less likely it is that she will skate competitively again.

masofs
06-12-2010, 02:40 AM
I don't want her to retire either. But I don't want her to step onto the ice if her heart is not in it. She's had a good career. Whatever she decides, let's wish her all the best.

Yeah, I know. I wish her the best, whatever she decides. But I would love her to stay. :(

jlai
06-12-2010, 02:41 AM
I don't see Rochette returning to the ISU competitive circuit either. How she handled herself at the Olympics has opened so many doors for her. She should take advantages of those opportunities while they're there.

Agree

Japanfan
06-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Without Rochette, I fear that the Canadian ladies field might be rather abysmal. Was Phaneuf's performance at Worlds a sign that she was finally back in true competitive form or just her lucky day?

Either way the second spot might be given to the least weak in a weak field. Hopefully one of the top ladies other than Cynthia will step up to the plate, but given the track record of Canadian ladies, it might be too much to ask for, at least for next season.