PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FIFA World Cup (South Africa) - Vuvuzelas at the ready!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Loves_Shizuka
06-23-2010, 09:37 PM
So. Germany v England. Good God, the country will come to a standstill on Sunday! I always have a soft spot for the Germans, having spent a very happy year in Berlin, but I'll be sick with nerves watching England. Hope they can do it; Germany look good though.

Oh and well done to Ghana for making it through!

reckless
06-23-2010, 09:38 PM
So. Germany v England. Good God, the country will come to a standstill on Sunday! I always have a soft spot for the Germans, having spent a very happy year in Berlin, but I'll be sick with nerves watching England. Hope they can do it; Germany look good though.
Which country?

Loves_Shizuka
06-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Oops, sorry, I'm in England. :)

Buzz
06-23-2010, 10:55 PM
SAM'S ARMY DID IT!!!! WEEEE!!!! :cheer2:

P.S.
If team Algeria needs someone to comfort them, I will gladly volunteer.... :D

mila19
06-23-2010, 10:57 PM
I thought Ghana was fab. And the lilac goal keeper was :kickass:

Loves_Shizuka
06-23-2010, 11:15 PM
P.S.
If team Algeria needs someone to comfort them, I will gladly volunteer.... :D

'Fraid you're too late. I'm already on it. Ziani personally requested me. :P

MR-FAN
06-23-2010, 11:17 PM
So. Germany v England.

Is it me or is this a trend? I seam to remember that England keeps getting knocked out by Germany, then Germany get knocked out right after... How is it that these 2 countries alwasy get matched up at the world cup?

mkats
06-23-2010, 11:26 PM
I woke up with about 60 minutes elapsed in the USA game. The match was much more exciting without having to watch the first 60 minutes of 0-0 tie. That was a seriously great end, though! :cheer: USA!

(And then I had to go watch cycling so that I didn't have to dwell on the fact that I enjoyed a soccer match)

:lol: my thoughts exactly. I didn't start watching until about an hour in and it was super nice not having to watch the first boring 60 minutes :P

ballettmaus
06-24-2010, 01:54 AM
Is it me or is this a trend? I seam to remember that England keeps getting knocked out by Germany, then Germany get knocked out right after... How is it that these 2 countries alwasy get matched up at the world cup?

Well, as a British fan put it when interviewed on TV - England-Germany is what the World Cup was invented for.
I do have my doubts about it but he seemed quite convinced ;)

So happy for the US. They so deserved it!!

Nmsis
06-24-2010, 06:00 AM
What in the world is wrong with the French team? The BBC reporter implied that there is a racial undercurrent to the conflict between the players and TPTB in French football.
No there isn't anything racial.
Supposedly, there are problems between some players originally from non-wealthy suburbs (Anelka, Ribery ...) who want to be bosses and others from the province, particularly with Gourcuff who is a quiet, well-spoken, well-educated (and very handsome) guy (son of a famous french football player and currently coach), who is meant to become the leader / tactician on the field but is young and too shy and gets bullied.

The journalists are saying it's a Ribery/Gourcuff antagonism. Ribery is said to not like Gourcuff's emergence because he thinks Gourcuff is too handsome, too polite, too smart, too everything.
A journalist said, "in this team, there are those who play the playstation and those who don't. Gourcuff likes the opera ..."
Once, Gourcuff was talking to some journalists and Ribery and Anelka entered, playing the "kings of the world". Gourcuff's attitude is said to have been revealing, avoiding Ribery and Anelka's look, moving close to the wall to let them the way. Ribery apparently asked Domenech to not take Gourcuff for the second match and got it. Ribery denied all of this Sunday in a surreal interview (he entered a TV show where Domenech was, without being invited) on TF1. The same clan is supposed to have refused to train this week-end and more or less forced their team mates to do the same. Once again, Gourcuff and his friends are said to have opposed to this decision but weren't left the choice.

Anyway, it's mainly Domenech's fault. He created a paranoid ambiance, where the players wouldn't speak to the press, barely speak to their supporters (who have been complaining for long because the players never greet their fans or their public), don't train in public (a guy from the french fed said Domenech asked for sheets to hide the training field :rofl: ). He's a jerk in his communication and attitude (the journalists hate him), you don't have to be a football fan to hate Domenech : right after the harsh (and deserved) elimination in the early group stage at 2008 Euro, he was asked for a comment about people asking for his resignation ; he didn't answer and instead asked his girlfriend (who is a TV host) to marry him ... People were outraged. Since then, he's nicknamed "the most detested man in France". He is booed all the time (the last time was at a tennis competition where he was with several team members). That is unlikely to change now. During the game, he doesn't know which tactic he will use, changes during the matches. Even the players don't get what he wants. And he doesn't know how to handle them. He let some be bossy, doesn't help the newbies to integrate and find their place, plays with the clans, changes his mind all the time. It's no wonder they lost their marbles with him and that the atmosphere became unhealthy, even if there is no excuse for what happened last week-end. They should have complained earlier, rather than play "everything goes fine" and hide behind sheets, fences and mp3 players. Because there is one thing worse than divas ... freaking divas. :yikes:

The french fed said they wouldn't get rid of Domenech in 2008 because it would be too costly (Domenech is not among the highest paid coaches but supposedly, there are clauses in his contract : :bribe::bribe::bribe: if the contract is broken). Anyway, after the mess that France-Ireland was, the french fed was pressured to do at least one thing right, ie to officially name Domenech's successor BEFORE the WC, which it did. People couldn't wait after the end of the World Cup for such an announcement. It had to be done beforehand. I think that, even before the event, the huge majority of the people thought the team didn't deserve to be in South Africa. Many thought we wouldn't do well in this first stage. On the sport level, the expectations were not really high, rather cautious. But nobody expected the team to implode like that, on a human level, as if it was "rotten" from within. :duh:

Anyway, go Argentina.
Maradona is all the show. :lol:

Loves_Shizuka
06-24-2010, 08:05 AM
^Thanks so much for that, Nmsis. I had no real idea what was going, just that there's been some big fall-out. So Ribery leads one group - who's part of that group? And who are the players who supposedly oppose him?

Anita18
06-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Some of the French team may boycott their game against South Africa. I say they should jusr forfeit the match and go home now. Bunch of babies.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/21062010/58/world-cup-2010-france-players-boycott-game.html
So I know nothing about World Cup, besides the fact that we (the US) supposedly suck at it. I ask the French postdoc who's winning and he said, "The US is!" and I was like, "Bwuh?" :rofl: Go USA! :cheer:

And he was like, "Yeah, we lost because the team boycotted and skipped out on training." And we had a laugh over how boycotting was an integral part of French culture. "It's the only way anything gets done! We strike!" :rofl:

MarieM
06-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Let's have a strike from football please !!
I hate football. I hate my neighbours. I don't even get who they were cheering for yesterday. I hate world cup month !

Jackie Sparrow
06-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Let's have a strike from football please !!
I hate football. I hate my neighbours. I don't even get who they were cheering for yesterday. I hate world cup month ! Then get out of this thread and don't come back.

Buzz
06-24-2010, 12:24 PM
They are actually talking about futbol this morning on CNN and they even had an interview with Landon Donovan! Finally team USA gets some exposure. LOL