PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FIFA World Cup (South Africa) - Vuvuzelas at the ready!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

allezfred
06-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Wayne Rooney to camera: "Nice to see your home fans boo ye!" :eek:

skatefan
06-18-2010, 09:28 PM
:lol: That's probably the quickest he's been all night :P ie Gerrard's quip

Orable
06-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Just for the record, Ireland beat Algeria 3-0 a few weeks ago. Just goes to show how badly England are sucking tonight. :P

C'mon now, the Desert Foxes are playing pretty solidly today (and also England is sucking ;))! Algeria's lost six of their last int'l matches, so this inspired playing is kind of coming out from nowhere. Not that I'm complaining :P

dots
06-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Algeria/ England 0-0

Unlike ice hockey or basket ball, football is a very slow game and the attacks take a lot of time. In basketball they score every 30 seconds. In football they get a lot less opportunities, so they shouldn't be ruined by blowing the whistle at 90 min.

I'm just not used to it I guess. I'll come around ;)

Ajax
06-18-2010, 09:30 PM
They're just playing contrarian with you (I think).

I'm not! Like I said in my first post I don't know anything about the rules of football so I was just trying to learn. And I do understand Jackie Sparrow's description of the rule, it just seems weird to me to have a timed sport where the referee is allowed to fudge the time at his discretion. In all other timed sports if the time is up the time is up!

Braulio
06-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Slovenia then leading the group...

They are now very focused on to the round of 16

Closing with England will be interesting

USA has it easier with Algeria in the final first round match

Mexico!! :D

FSfan107
06-18-2010, 09:36 PM
... THIS (joeposnanski.si.com/2010/06/18/the-goal-that-wasnt/?eref=sihp) sums up why it's a real shame that the goal was robbed. It would've been a huge watershed moment for the sport in the USA. The comeback would've been historic, but the thrill here would've been so big and so long lasting.

Now, sigh, the US will be forced to win this tournament to make that big splash. :lol:

ITA, it would have been a huge moment for soccer in the USA. I'm still furious about about the goal being "disallowed".:wall: I haven't watched a whole lot the sport before the World Cup going on now. Can someone tell me how the tie of 0-0 between England and Algeria affects the prospects of the U.S. qualifying to the next round?

allezfred
06-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Bring back the WAGs! :D

Beefcake
06-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Ironic, as of today :P - guess who was born on the 4th of July? This guy in yellow (4.bp.blogspot.com/_M5DXSXi5JJo/S22ObnBanyI/AAAAAAAABAQ/4-A4Fm9GjfY/s320/Koman_Coulibaly_2.JPG)

fragoletta
06-18-2010, 09:46 PM
:scream: Could some Europeans please help me out here?

I was watching the game with some friends and I couldn't write but I was totally sympathizing with you and I would have rep you if I could :P

Wayne Rooney to camera: "Nice to see your home fans boo ye!" :eek:

:eek: I saw he was saying something and by the looks of him i guessed it wasn't something nice...That Nike commercial is totally coming true :scream:

Can someone tell me how the tie of 0-0 between England and Algeria affects the prospects of the U.S. qualifying to the next round?

If USA beats Algeria, they are through to the last 16. Even a draw may suffice if England loses or drew vs Slovenia (but in case of both USA and England drawing it will depend on how many goals each scored)

skatefan
06-18-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm not! Like I said in my first post I don't know anything about the rules of football so I was just trying to learn. And I do understand Jackie Sparrow's description of the rule, it just seems weird to me to have a timed sport where the referee is allowed to fudge the time at his discretion. In all other timed sports if the time is up the time is up!
But if you think about it, there may be a few seconds delay before the 'watch is stopped' eg for an injury, so there would be a little extra lee-way and the referee will allow a manouevre such as a corner/goal kick/penalty to be completed as well as an attacking move which would probably only last a few seconds before being intercepted or a goal scored. Depends upon field of play at 90 minutes. Not that I'm any kind of expert you understand :shuffle:

fragoletta
06-18-2010, 09:59 PM

Football isn't like the other timed sports. Things take time here and 10 seconds more or less usually don't matter. Therefore, there is no need to stop the clock every time there is a foul and actually doing this would disrupt the game and make it tedious to watch. Even the act of calling the fouls and stopping the play is left to the discretion of the referees, who sometimes prefer leaving the teams to play more roughly than blowing the whistle every 20 seconds.
And the added time is one of the (many) other things left to the discretion of the referees. And how teams spend that added time is also part of their strategy and therefore, part fo the game itself. Taking an extra 10 sec lying on the ground or the goalkeeper fixing his gloves in that particular moment...:rofl: Stalling the game is tactics and people have been shown the yellow card for that.

Buzz
06-18-2010, 10:11 PM
The US got a bum wrap today. From what I have read it was a terrible call not to allow that goal. Hopefully the US can get a result from their next game against Algeria and still move on to the next round. They are certainly in a good spot to do just that since England is in such a mess right now. Algeria did well to tie with England today and I did see most of the match and they also had their chances. And Congratulations to Serbia on winning their first World Cup match

jl
06-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Geez, so far the final RR games are looking to be dynamite!

Group A, I think Mexico and Uruguay will play a snoozer for a draw (and safe advancement) but on the off-chance that Mexico will risk their 4 goal differential with France, they will go for the win because I don't think *anyone* wants to face Argentina for now. And France v SA, well... I think the vuvuzelas win and everything else loses.

Group B, Argentina are all but through after going +4 in GD. The other three teams are Greece (-1) and Korea (-1) at 3 points apiece and Nigeria (-2) with zero. So... basically, the situation is:

ARG-GRE: Argentina will take anything really, so long as it's not a horrible loss (and given GRE's oh-so-amazing skills offensively, I don't think they're too worried ;) ) but to ensure they move ahead GRE has to win by as much as possible. Even a draw could hurt them in the end. I think ARG will rest up and keep their yellow cards off the field at this point, meaning GRE has all the more incentive to play desperately.

KOR-NGA: Korea is in the same boat as Greece, though a draw for Korea gives them a better chance since even if Argentina decides to do Sudoku on the pitch I think they might still beat Greece. However, Nigeria isn't out of it; if they win and if Argentina win, they advance! (simply because NGA/KOR/GRE will have 3 points each but NGA will be -1 or better and the other teams -2 or worse in GD) The last thing is, though, if NGA scores too early, that might tip their hand to GRE and GRE might accordingly swarm to their end and play passively for the draw.

The games are likely to be terrible (it's not like there's been that many scintillating games so far quality-wise :lol: ) but from drama this is totally :cool: .

Now, Group C has SLO (4)-US and ENG (2, tied on GD)-ALG (1). Any of these teams can reasonably advance and any team can reasonably be kicked out! That means these games are going to be nuts.

On one end, SLO-ENG will be SLO probably angling for the draw or maybe even the win outright, whereas ENG will really want to win by a large margin since they'll anticipate the US having less trouble with ALG. However, given how ENG has played so far this tournament, turning that offensive switch on is probably easier said than done but maybe they'll do it.

Now, for US-ALG, the US will also aim to win and by a large margin, but if ALG wins then they also advance! That means that ALG cares this game, instead of most teams that haven't won a game by this stage at the WC. Probably, look for a lot of fireworks.

Then there's Group D, where I am cheering on Ghana (my adopted country after having lived there for 5 months two years ago) and am eagerly looking forward to the drama! And, unlike everyone else on this board, Italian soccer is about as exciting as watching eggs boil, so I kind of... want them out :lol:. Go North Korea, too!

reckless
06-19-2010, 07:19 AM
The US does not have to win by a large margin. Any win and the US is through with 5 points. (If England beats Slovenia, the US and England both go through with GD making the difference in winning the group and if Slovenia wins, it and the US go through.) At present, there is really no strong incentive to win the group, because with the way group D is shaping up, the winner could wind up with Germany if Ghana wins group C -- a very likely scenario if Ghana beats Australia tomorrow.)

Group D is fascinating. If Ghana wins, Germany will have to beat Ghana outright to go through. It has to assume that Serbia will beat Australia to get 6 points in the group.

Amazingly, we could have a result this year where Germans, England, and France all get knocked out in the group. And who knows what will happen with Spain, Portugal and Italy.