PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FIFA World Cup (South Africa) - Vuvuzelas at the ready!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Rob
06-18-2010, 06:30 PM
In a basketball game, if the clock stops at 12:45 remaining and one coach believes the clock should have stopped at 12:47 remaining, they can challenge it right then. If the clock is counting up and the ref just has it in their heads, they have sole control over the amount of time left and no one can check them on it.

It doesn't really bother me since that is just the way it is, but I think that is the crux of it right there - to the casual US fan, it appears that the refs can pull a number out of the air at the end of the game and the teams can't challenge it. Since our US-centric sports rules generally permit team challenges to provide a check on fixing or just on poor calls/bad sightlines, this offends our suspicious nature. So, how do the refs keep track? I assume they have an official clock/stopwatch. Do the teams know how much stoppage time is accruing as the game goes on? They must have some idea.

CaptCrunch
06-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Well at least team USA got a tie out of it. For sure the referee has too much power in soccer. Because of that I think its very easy to corrupt the sport. That offsides/foul call was total bs. To be fair to everyone soccer should use instant replay just like all the other sports do now.

If team USA can beat Algeria by 2 goals then they will qualify for the rd of 16. I think I have that right.

Beefcake
06-18-2010, 06:58 PM
If team USA can beat Algeria by 2 goals then they will qualify for the rd of 16. I think I have that right.
:COP: Is it that simple, already? Hope so. :)

An :eek: Algeria victory today versus England wouldn't throw things into an "anything can happen" :watch: clusterfek?

itsartemis
06-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Norwegian TV has played the annulled goal for the USA from all kinds of angles and no one understands anything. Worst part about it - the referee was so well placed. Robbery in broad daylight!! :angryfire

60 out of the 70 000 in the stadium now are cheering for England. I hope they and we get to see a good match now! :cheer2:

DinDonShamu
06-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Norwegian TV has played the annulled goal for the USA from all kinds of angles and no one understands anything. Worst part about it - the referee was so well placed. Robbery in broad daylight!! :angryfire

On the up side, the world's most popular sport is no different from figure skating isn't it :hat1:.

itsartemis
06-18-2010, 07:56 PM
On the up side, the world's most popular sport is no different from figure skating isn't it :hat1:.Sadly so. :(

England, WAKE UP!!! This really is bad! They have so many great players, but seem completely uncomfortable and out of sorts. Capello uttered "fcuk!" - totally understandable! :wall:

reckless
06-18-2010, 08:21 PM
:COP: Is it that simple, already? Hope so. :)

An :eek: Algeria victory today versus England wouldn't throw things into an "anything can happen" :watch: clusterfek?
Not really. If Algeria beats England, a US win would guarantee it goes through. After today, the teams would be ranked Slovenia (4 pt), Algeria (3 pt), US (2 pt), England (1 pt). No matter what happens between Slovenia and England, the US would wind up going through with a win.

Lara
06-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Between France sucking, Spain losing to SWI, Germany losing to Serbia and England not looking too hot...geez, this sure hasn't been a banner WC for the Western Europe powers so far.

Has ANYONE been able to justify that ref call? It really is :mad: that nothing can be done. Football doesn't need the US but this sure isn't going to help endear the sport here. :(

Jackie Sparrow
06-18-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm confused about how the whole Yellow card/man down thing works. I'm not a big soccer watcher. I know how they work in other sports but...

South African Vuvuzela Philharmonic Angered By Soccer Games Breaking Out During Concerts (http://www.theonion.com/articles/south-african-vuvuzela-philharmonic-angered-by-soc,17625/) Depending on how severe a foul is, you get the yellow card. Two yellows = red. When you commit a foul in the penalty area, it's possible that you get the red card directly.

Oh. Apparently it is over. This business where only the refs know how much time is left in the game is one of the things that really confuses me about Soccer. I don't know what confuses you. At the end of each half time they calculate how much time they weren't able to play due to fouls, substituting etc. Those few minutes will be added to the 45/90 minutes. When the time is up, the ref waits until there is a convenient to finally stop the game. When one of the team is attacking and has a the chance to score, he won't stop immediately. It's about not ruining opportunities.

Ajax
06-18-2010, 08:36 PM
When the time is up, the ref waits until there is a convenient to finally stop the game. When one of the team is attacking and has a the chance to score, he won't stop immediately. It's about not ruining opportunities.

Really??? Now that's just weird - why do they care about ruining opportunities in a timed sport? (Disclaimer I know absolutely nothing about football). Shouldn't the team have created that opportunity for itself during the allotted playing time?

dots
06-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Not really. If Algeria beats England, a US win would guarantee it goes through. After today, the teams would be ranked Slovenia (4 pt), Algeria (3 pt), US (2 pt), England (1 pt). No matter what happens between Slovenia and England, the US would wind up going through with a win.

so the best thing would be for England to lose today, right?

Sorry England, but it must be done ! :EVILLE:

Jackie Sparrow
06-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Really??? Now that's just weird - why do they care about ruining opportunities in a timed sport? (Disclaimer I know absolutely nothing about football). Shouldn't the team have created that opportunity for itself during the allotted playing time? Is it really that hard to get? :wall: What if a player is about to shoot a goal? Would you just stop the goal right there and then?
What kind of sports do you usually watch?

dots
06-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Is it really that hard to get? :wall: What if a player is about to shoot a goal? Would you just stop the goal right there and then?

Wouldn't you? :shuffle: I mean when time's up there is nothing else you can do about it.

Orable
06-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Algeria's playing solidly today! :cheer2:

Jackie Sparrow
06-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Wouldn't you? :shuffle: I mean when time's up there is nothing else you can do about it.:scream: Could some Europeans please help me out here?