PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FIFA World Cup (South Africa) - Vuvuzelas at the ready!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

DinDonShamu
06-18-2010, 04:41 PM
:cheer2: :cheer2: Now one more for USA!

Theatregirl1122
06-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Anyone else's announcers figured out why the goal didn't count? The USA announcers are quite puzzled.

Ninchen
06-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Anyone else's announcers figured out why the goal didn't count? The USA announcers are quite puzzled.

The German one too.

Diane Mars
06-18-2010, 04:49 PM
The Swiss"French" too !

Theatregirl1122
06-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Oh. Apparently it is over. This business where only the refs know how much time is left in the game is one of the things that really confuses me about Soccer.

MR-FAN
06-18-2010, 04:53 PM
apparently it was some weird foul call, 5 seconds after it took place

genegri
06-18-2010, 04:59 PM
I think it's a CYA call. It was first called an offside. Then changed to a foul. BS!

DinDonShamu
06-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Stupid foul. There was nothing wrong with it! U.S. should have won 3-2 :mad: Referees were horrendous today. First that Spanish guy hired by Serbia, then this ...

NeilJLeonard
06-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Oh. Apparently it is over. This business where only the refs know how much time is left in the game is one of the things that really confuses me about Soccer.
Once upon a time and many years ago - pre-1960s - the same thing applied to the NFL. As that sport gained prominence that function was taken away from the on field officials and awarded to the stadium's scoreboard clock. Of course the game ref still controls that clock, but he/she can no longer keep it an arbitrary secret. I doubt if FIFA will change the current situation since it's been in vogue since the 1870s. Tradition and all that..;)

NJL (...the USA still has an outside chance to advance, but they must beat Algeria to do it.....we'll see....I missed the live telecast, but I'll watch the rebroadcast on ESPNC @ 2000 EDT...I'll comment after that, if any comments are needed, but it sounds to me like the USA choked....:cool:...)

dots
06-18-2010, 05:18 PM
The US should be ahead of their group with 4pts., but it was not to be . :cold:

Rob
06-18-2010, 05:36 PM
(I didn't watch the game so I don't know whether Mexico are that strong or France simply sucked)...

My husband, a Mexican citizen, thinks that France looked awful from their first game. Go Mexico!

silverstars
06-18-2010, 05:40 PM
That was AWFUL. The US should have won 3-2. It was their fault for messing up the first half, but the referee completely screwed them over for the second.

I wish that soccer was like skating, where you can make an inquiry into why you received the score that you did. That referee should be fired.

joeperryfan
06-18-2010, 05:42 PM

I don't know where in the world you are watching the game, but in Europe we are always told how much longer the game will go on after the 90 minutes mark. The assistant referee puts in on a board and shows it to the players, on tv the extra time is usually shown next to the score. The extra time is supposed to compensate for lost time during the game due to substitutions, assistance to injured players, others... I guess what you know depends on the broadcast, but it's not obscure at all.

Theatregirl1122
06-18-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't know where in the world you are watching the game, but in Europe we are always told how much longer the game will go on after the 90 minutes mark. The assistant referee puts in on a board and shows it to the players, on tv the extra time is usually shown next to the score. The extra time is supposed to compensate for lost time during the game due to substitutions, assistance to injured players, others... I guess what you know depends on the broadcast, but it's not obscure at all.

Well no. The clock counts up to 90 minutes and then the ref adds time. So you don't know how much longer it is going to go on until after the 90 minutes is over. And even then, I was watching a match yesterday and the stoppage time was +5 but they kept going for like 45 seconds after that. Stoppage time in the stoppage time? I don't know.

But either way, counting down and having the clock stop during stops makes more sense to me instead of the refs just keeping track of it. In a basketball game, if the clock stops at 12:45 remaining and one coach believes the clock should have stopped at 12:47 remaining, they can challenge it right then. If the clock is counting up and the ref just has it in their heads, they have sole control over the amount of time left and no one can check them on it. Not to mention how much time is left is more interesting than how much time has elapsed.

joeperryfan
06-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Well no. The clock counts up to 90 minutes and then the ref adds time. So you don't know how much longer it is going to go on until after the 90 minutes is over. And even then, I was watching a match yesterday and the stoppage time was +5 but they kept going for like 45 seconds after that. Stoppage time in the stoppage time? I don't know.

That's what I meant, you only know after the 90 minutes mark, but you do know.
Yeah, that happens, I guess because the players tend to stall the game and the stoppage time would be rendered completely useless if someone just asked for assistance and waisted the whole time on it, so the referee compensates there as well.

But either way, counting down and having the clock stop during stops makes more sense to me instead of the refs just keeping track of it. In a basketball game, if the clock stops at 12:45 remaining and one coach believes the clock should have stopped at 12:47 remaining, they can challenge it right then. If the clock is counting up and the ref just has it in their heads, they have sole control over the amount of time left and no one can check them on it. Not to mention how much time is left is more interesting than how much time has elapsed.

I see your point, but given that this rule comes from way back when it wasn't so easy to stop a clock, because they weren't digital, it makes more sense for the referee to keep track of the wasted time. Even though many goals have been scored in the last minute of the game, time isn't as precious as it is in basketball where scoring is a lot more frequent and so it makes more sense to institute a system where all the lost seconds are effectively compensated... the flow of the game is just very different. If I find out a better explanation for this I'll let you know, but it's hard for me to imagine a football game where the clock is stopped every now and then.