PDA

View Full Version : 16 year old Solo Sailor Feared Lost

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Catherine M
06-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Well it was bound to happen with all these young kids wanting to sail around the world.

16 year old California sailor Abby Sunderland is feared lost at sea:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/abby-sunderland-possibly-lost-sea/story?id=10877108

skipaway
06-10-2010, 07:36 PM
She's in my prayers....how terrifying for her.

Matryeshka
06-10-2010, 07:38 PM
I know this isn't original, but what were her parents thinking?!! I hope the parents of that Dutch girl who wants to do the same and is even younger is paying attention to this.

*Jen*
06-10-2010, 08:35 PM
The Australian girl just made it all the way around, and she was 16 too. I thought her parents were mad as well but can't help thinking that she had a better rescue system in place. 400 miles from the nearest ship? I really hope she's okay :(

Catherine M
06-10-2010, 08:59 PM
I feel sorry for the random fishing boat captain that had to make the decision on whether to risk his boat and crew to go see if they can find her.

As for the parents, I have no comment.

Lanie
06-10-2010, 09:14 PM
My husband's parents know this family. I feel sorry for them but at the same time I don't see why anyone would let a child do this alone.

skatesindreams
06-10-2010, 09:40 PM
She's in my prayers....how terrifying for her.

Indeed!

Hoping that she is found, safe.
My thoughts are with her family and friends.

danceronice
06-10-2010, 09:42 PM
I know this isn't original, but what were her parents thinking?!! .

"Her seventeen-year-old older brother managed just fine last year"?

She's sixteen, the odds of her dying in a car wreck were higher. The article I just saw was being cautiously optimistic she'll be found alive.

*Jen*
06-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Just heard on Australian radio that both Australia and Reunion Island are sending rescue choppers. Hopefully they'll get to the area quickly and find her.

LilJen
06-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Yikes. Yikes. I can't imagine being those parents and second-guessing allowing her to do this. . .

shan
06-10-2010, 10:37 PM
:( I hope she's okay!

Beefcake
06-10-2010, 10:50 PM
"Her seventeen-year-old older brother managed just fine last year"?

She's sixteen, the odds of her dying in a car wreck were higher. The article I just saw was being cautiously optimistic she'll be found alive.
:shuffle: All righty then. Whereas there is data aplenty about the millions of us who survived driving ...

... I'm thinking there's really not a viable statistical sample to determine the death rate for children sailing solo around the world.

Horrible parenting. Just awful. :angryfire And aren't there sailing age requirements? So, now ... millions of dollars to be spent to perhaps rescue this child. And if she's found alive (God willing), it'll serve to encourage a 15 year-old to top that, then 14, 13, 12, 11 ... and so on. Lovely.

Ziggy
06-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Things like this really annoy me because whether people are underage or not, it's their own (or their parents') choice to do this. And they cream the opportunities it can bring if successful.

But when things go wrong, we have to foot the rescue services bill.

Angelskates
06-10-2010, 11:33 PM
How are all these people affording to do this? Sponsors won't want to keep sponsoring if it becomes a regular thing. I always wonder if they need a "rescue fund" - sending out rescue crews is not a cheap thing.

I hope she's found, and that she's okay.

She will, like Jessica Watson, not be eligible for an official record even if she makes it, because the record for sailing around the world starts at 18 so as not to encourage younger and younger people to risk their lives.

manleywoman
06-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Didn't a 13 year old just successfully climb Mt Everest? Everyone said he was crazy and too young before he did it, but he did it.