PDA

View Full Version : B&A Official Retirement Announcement

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Hanna
06-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Tanith & Ben were the team that really got me interested in ice dance back in 2003. Before that I hardly knew the discipline existed. Since then I've enjoyed so many of their dances - both ODs and FDs. :) :respec:

I want to say a big thank you and wish them both all the very best.

AJ Skatefan
06-11-2010, 10:48 PM
She has to work with speech therapist before get the job. I don't think her girlish voice will work :lol:.

I'm a speech therapist and fyi, mostly we work with people who have DISORDERS. Tanith's voice is in NO WAY disordered. There's nothing wrong with her voice and she is very well spoken. No need for a speech therapist.:rolleyes:

wickedwitch
06-11-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm glad they'll continue to skate professionally.

I've been thinking about the impact they've had on US skating. It's arguable that they've changed US ice skating more than any skaters in history.

rhumba
06-12-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm a speech therapist and fyi, mostly we work with people who have DISORDERS. Tanith's voice is in NO WAY disordered. There's nothing wrong with her voice and she is very well spoken. No need for a speech therapist.:rolleyes:

Sorry, I did not mean YOU can help her. I meant somebody as a professional voice trainer who works with professional TV commentators. The way she speaks is NOT disorder, can't give her any CPT code, but IMO, she will need some training to be more professional. Some people are more natural than others. For instance, Meryl's voice is also NOT a disorder but she will need some training if she would decide to be a TV commentator in the future. Peggy Flemming has more natural voice and maybe she did have the training.

Pikachuusb
06-12-2010, 01:31 AM
I will miss Tanith & Ben very much. My boyfriend & I have been fans of them for years. I wsh them the best in everything they choose to do :)

*Kim*
06-12-2010, 01:37 AM
well, I'm sad. I started to watch figure skating in general after wacthing Tanith and Ben Elvis progrmam on the tv. They migth no be the best ice dances (I blame their coaches) but they should be very proud to what they didi with ice dance in US, wining a worlds emndal and a olumpic medal after 30 or 20 years its soemthing huge. They were allways so classy and and never gave up (moving to Linichuk as a huge step to them and Tanith improved a lot and i'm sure this change was something really difficult to both of them).

I wish a great future to them :lol:

leafygreens
06-12-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm still bitter that B&A missed out on the bronze medal at 2010 Olys because of the mandatory Russian podium placement. They were better than them but I also think B&A had a bad season. Their programs this year were strange and did not live up to their potential. It's just a shame that this season was their last. But realistically, if B&A stuck around, they would spend all their time chasing D&W and V&M. It would be great if they would stay competitive and at least give it a shot, but it is their choice and I can understand how they'd like to move on from the intensity of training.

What place do you think B&A would have if Tanith's citizenship went through for the 02 Olys?

Cloudy_Gumdrops
06-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Team Igor totally kicked the butt of Team Linichuk at the Olympics. Which made me wonder if B/A didn't leave Detroit, what will happend? Was that the right decision for them? Did they ever reach their full potential?

It was the right decision if for no other reason than the fact that their basics and polish were improved immensely under L&K. Igor/Marina clearly weren't interested in fixing those sorts of things in Tanith/Ben or they would've done it ages ago before B&A started to plateau. L&K made them better skaters imo.

HeatherC
06-12-2010, 04:25 AM
I kind of knew this was coming too and it still made me a little sad when I first read about it. :( I didn't really pay too much attention to Ice Dance until the battle between L&T and B&A back in 2003. I thought both teams were great but I loved the fire and youthful energy of Tanith & Ben so I became a fan right away. When I was at US Nationals in Atlanta in 2004, I finally understood ice dancing better after seeing it live for the first time and I don't think you can really appreciate how hard some of those moves are until you see them in person. I've been a big fan of the discipline ever since and Tanith & Ben have remained one of my favorite teams since I saw them in Atlanta. My favorite performances of theirs are probably their Shadrista FD from 2005 and their Chopin FD from 2008. I'm so happy I got to see both programs live at least one time. :) My favorite memory of meeting either of them is when I met Ben at Skate America in 2007 and got a picture of him in his 'farmer Ben' hat from their OD that season. He was so nice and friendly and that's still one of my favorite photos. :D Tanith & Ben definitely helped change the face of ice dancing in the USA and I think they will be missed a lot by the fans. I look forward to seeing what's coming next for them and I realy hope they're back with SOI next year. They were fantastic on the tour this year. All the best to both of them and thanks for all the great memories! :cheer:

AJ Skatefan
06-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Sorry, I did not mean YOU can help her. I meant somebody as a professional voice trainer who works with professional TV commentators. The way she speaks is NOT disorder, can't give her any CPT code, but IMO, she will need some training to be more professional. Some people are more natural than others. For instance, Meryl's voice is also NOT a disorder but she will need some training if she would decide to be a TV commentator in the future. Peggy Flemming has more natural voice and maybe she did have the training.

Apology accepted. But I think her voice is fine.

TanithandBenFan
06-12-2010, 06:13 AM
IMy favorite memory of meeting either of them is when I met Ben at Skate America in 2007 and got a picture of him in his 'farmer Ben' hat from their OD that season. He was so nice and friendly and that's still one of my favorite photos. :D

I have that same picture. :lol: It's also one of my favorite memories of talking to Ben because he made fun of his picture in the program.

I forgot to mention another favorite memory earlier - watching Tanith and Ben whenever they were getting ready to take the ice, especially this year at Nationals. They were always smiling, and it always appeared that Ben was keeping Tanith calm and relaxed. It was very sweet to watch.

sisinka
06-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Program preference and someone being "overrated" (HA!) are both matters of personal preference. If anything Tanith was somewhat underrated. She didn't always finish off her moves and point her toes and because of that one element of icedancing she began to be spoken of as one of the worst icedancers ever. I never understood that.

I don't agree. I wasn't about finishing off her moves only. She had poor skating skills, she looked shacky very often during many of their dances. Linitchuk helped her to improve her skating but it still wasn't enough in comparison with top world teams. Great dancer also means somebody who can express the feeling of the music - she couldn't do that sometimes.

About being underrated... Tanith & Ban won silver medal at Olympics in Torino when Tanith made a huge mistake during twizzles (two footed in one moment) and another huge mistake during finale circular step sequence - and they finished second over teams who skated clean and great programs. At 2007 Worlds Tanith made huge mistake during twizzles again (plus their new FD missed presentation because of lack of time - they practised it few weeks only) and they got bronze medal, again another teams had better skate but finished behind them.

But it is over....nobody will ever ask if it was all fair or not (like nobody talks about Sarah Hughes doing underrotated jumps but winning Olympic Gold). Therefore Tanith & Ben are beautiful couple to watch, I am sure they will be great at Stars on Ice or some other shows. They were never my favourite couple and very often they were overrated in my opinion but they were always classy during interviews/talking about other team/comentating so I wish them all the best in future!

sisinka
06-12-2010, 07:38 AM
I knew this is coming, still feel sad that they didn't set the record of winning their sixth US title.

Team Igor totally kicked the butt of Team Linichuk at the Olympics. Which made me wonder if B/A didn't leave Detroit, what will happend? Was that the right decision for them? Did they ever reach their full potential?

I think that staying with S/Z team wouldn't change result. Tanith is worse dancer and skater then Tessa and worse technical skater then Meryl. And what I see as another big problem - new judging system prefers more acrobatic and athletic skating style. If you are that tall like Tanith/Domnina/Faiella/Navka and many others - you can never be so fast across the ice and definitely you can't do so difficult and acrobatic lifts changing so many positions during it (like Meryl or Khokhlova can do). Time of tall dancers has gone.

skateboy
06-12-2010, 09:35 AM
I'll miss B/A. I've always wondered: IF Tanith had not fallen in the CD and they managed to win 2009 Worlds, how it might have changed things for them. Hard to imagine they would have lost the National title, and who knows where that would have put them at the Olys... and the others...

Verbalgirl77
06-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Aww, the "skating soulmates" are leaving! :( I've always appreciated their friendship and the commitment they had to staying together for so long. It was frustrating as a US skating fan, to watch all of those great young US dance teams have early success then break up soon after, one after the the other. These two stuck it out through so much to share that success together. I'll miss seeing Ben making those great faces at the camera in the K&C, too!