PDA

View Full Version : B&A Official Retirement Announcement

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

casken
06-11-2010, 05:30 AM
I've been a bit :soapbox: about this team becuase of their results over Delobel & Schoenfelder over the years, but in the grand scheme of things they were an exceptional team and very under-severed by their coaches/choreographers. (both Shpilband and Linichuk). Benjamin was the quite the talent in particular. I would love to see him and Domnina or Khoklova together.

Carmen, I was one of the people who loved "Ave Maria" at CoC, but felt that each subsequent performance/version of the program was weaker than the previous. Every choreographic change they made actually hurt the program, and each performance become slightly more tentative and reserved than the previous, IMO.(I pretty much felt the same way about Delschoe's "The Piano". It was brilliant at French Masters, but weaker in every way by the time it got the worlds, including the costuming.)

I was most :mad: about that inexcusable OD Linichuk sabotaged them with though.

They still should have beaten DomShab at the Olympics, although DelSchoe should have beaten them both in the OD and FD and overall. :P

nubka
06-11-2010, 05:30 AM
What! No more O face and unpointed toes for the folks at FSU to comment on? ;)

They have had a great run, and have represented their country well. It will be fun to see what they do in the future, and their fans will still be able to see them skate, so that's good! :)

I would like to see them both in the commenting booth next season...:watch:

Jaana
06-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Although I will miss the competitive skating of B & A very much, it is their say when they decide to retire.

LaLola
06-11-2010, 08:19 AM
That is exactly what I was afraid of the whole season.
I will miss them so much and my heart is broken because I never got to see them perform live. And I think they weren't even close to the boarder of their possibilities.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
06-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Back in the day, there was talk about them remaining until at least 2014, because they were so young. But yeah, a classy duo. And Tanith will always bring the pretty.

So will Ben - at least his hamstrings for VALuvsMKwan ;).

Rex and LaLola, at the beginning of the season I did get the feeling that B&A probably wouldn't compete in Sochi but might stick around for another couple of seasons. IIRC, they even hinted as much during the GP series and even during Nationals (though not so much by the conclusion of it).

I agree that Tanith and Ben were just starting to peak as performers; they and there fans were cheated of a proper ending to their careers IMO. I don't blame them for sticking to skating as pros though. It would be a waste of their time to come back only to repeat this season.

I've been a bit :soapbox: about this team becuase of their results over Delobel & Schoenfelder over the years, but in the grand scheme of things they were an exceptional team and very under-severed by their coaches/choreographers. (both Shpilband and Linichuk). Benjamin was the quite the talent in particular. I would love to see him and Domnina or Khoklova together.

Carmen, I was one of the people who loved "Ave Maria" at CoC, but felt that each subsequent performance/version of the program was weaker than the previous. Every choreographic change they made actually hurt the program, and each performance become slightly more tentative and reserved than the previous, IMO.(I pretty much felt the same way about Delschoe's "The Piano". It was brilliant at French Masters, but weaker in every way by the time it got the worlds, including the costuming.)

I was most :mad: about that inexcusable OD Linichuk sabotaged them with though.

They still should have beaten DomShab at the Olympics, although DelSchoe should have beaten them both in the OD and FD and overall. :P

I will agree to disagree in regards to Ave Maria/Amen and I thought that Tanith and Ben were excellent at Nationals and at the Olympics. Except for those costumes. Maybe it may have helped a little if B&A hadn't changed to the costumes they used in Vancouver.

I really liked their OD but in hindsight I do think some of the open spaces could/should have been filled in or perhaps Belgosto and Linichuk should have chosen an OD that like the FD continued along with the theme of showing B&A as a more sophisticated and technically improved team. During the off season there had been rumors of a Flamenco and now I wish they had gone that route. It reminds me of the 07/08 season. Chopin was a brilliant program, B&A's CD's had improved (although they still weren't as good as they would be this season) but the image of an improved grown up team got wiped out every time they skated to "Cotton Eyed Joe." I do think that people (possibly including B&A themselves) got too caught up with their image being perky and upbeat.

I wish that DelShoes could have repeated their Europeans performance of "The Piano" (including the costume) at Worlds. As much as I was and still am over the moon that Isabelle and Olivier finally won a world title I really wanted them to win all three portions of the competition.

kwanfan1818
06-11-2010, 09:13 AM
I thought B&A were wonderful in Stars on Ice this year (when they skated :P). They should have quite a career skating professionally.

IneZR
06-11-2010, 10:31 AM
I also liked Ave Maria, especially it's earlier versions. When they first debuted it at Cup of China, I thought that they could win the OG with this FD, but the judges thought differently. :(

paskatefan
06-11-2010, 11:20 AM
I hope Stars on Ice gives them a long contract. They were wonderful on the tour this year and were a perfect fit for SOI. I look forward to seeing their pro programs.

Thanks B&A for a great career!

Amen! :encore: Classy people all the way!

We saw them at University of Delaware in January (for the Nationals Send-Off show), too. Ave Maria was gorgeous!

MikiAndoFan#1
06-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Here's an article from Ice Network: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100610&content_id=11024796&vkey=ice_pressrelease.

The team recently completed the 2010 Smucker's Stars on Ice tour and plans on continuing to skate together professionally.

:cheer2:

Sylvia
06-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Here's an article from Ice Network:
FYI, it's the same press release that was published yesterday on the USFS site. ;) (USFS official press releases are usually posted on both sites.)

Tweeted by Tanith last night at the Detroit Skating Club's show: http://twitter.com/TanithJLB/status/15901658335

Took in the DSC ice show w/Ben 2night & realized we were standing in the same arena 12 yrs ago when we first met,on the day we retire.Crazy!

MikiAndoFan#1
06-11-2010, 03:02 PM
FYI, it's the same press release that was published yesterday on the USFS site. ;) (USFS official press releases are usually posted on both sites.)

Oh.

:o

lmarie086
06-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Carmen, I was one of the people who loved "Ave Maria" at CoC, but felt that each subsequent performance/version of the program was weaker than the previous. Every choreographic change they made actually hurt the program, and each performance become slightly more tentative and reserved than the previous, IMO.

This.

I LOVED the FD their frst time out at CoC. I thought it was the first FD we'd seen all season that could truly be worthy of OGM. B/A may not have been my favorite team, but the way they skated that program was just sublime. And then it seemed like they just tapered off; as casken said, each performance was weaker, less confident than the last. I hated the little choreographic changes they made over the season, and by the time of the Olympics I just didn't feel the same about it anymore.

I never really liked B/A a whole lot until this season. Now I'm sorry to see them leave because IMO they truly have so much more ground to cover, so much more to explore artistically. This year was a big step for them in that (other than that OD :angryfire ) and I'd have liked to see them continue. But I can understand why they aren't. So I wish them the best of luck as they continue on as professionals and I hope they do some commentary, especially Tanith (she's great!).

rhumba
06-11-2010, 06:48 PM
This.

So I wish them the best of luck as they continue on as professionals and I hope they do some commentary, especially Tanith (she's great!).

She has to work with speech therapist before get the job. I don't think her girlish voice will work :lol:.

Sparks
06-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Oh brother.
Tanith and Ben did a great job doing commentary at Worlds this year.

aymkjb88
06-11-2010, 08:39 PM
I knew this is coming, still feel sad that they didn't set the record of winning their sixth US title.

Team Igor totally kicked the butt of Team Linichuk at the Olympics. Which made me wonder if B/A didn't leave Detroit, what will happend? Was that the right decision for them? Did they ever reach their full potential?