PDA

View Full Version : B&A Official Retirement Announcement

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

jenny12
06-11-2010, 01:34 AM
That's a matter of personal preference.

Well, obviously it's personal preference. I never said my opinion was gospel. I just thought the dance was too unfocused for me to get into.

Anyway, I hope to see many pro/show skates from them in the future. They've always been great entertainers.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
06-11-2010, 01:39 AM
I'll miss them. :(

But, it was probably the right time. The judges have already retired them anyway.

Gods, I wish they would've won 2009 Worlds. :wuzrobbed

That's a matter of personal preference.

I thought Ave Maria/Amen was gorgeous.

Hear, hear Cloudy_Gumdrops.

I was expecting this announcement and because of the fact that the judges retired them during the GP season I'm not as sad about it as I would have been otherwise.

Program preference and someone being "overrated" (HA!) are both matters of personal preference. If anything Tanith was somewhat underrated. She didn't always finish off her moves and point her toes and because of that one element of icedancing she began to be spoken of as one of the worst icedancers ever. I never understood that.

I also don't understand what happened with the Ave Maria/Amen program.
When it was first debuted, a lot of people loved it, liked it or at least were appreciative of it. Even people who were not B&A fans.

By the time the season ended those people seem to have mostly disappeared. I'm not sure what was so utterly offensive about this FD (IMO one of their best) unless it was slight religious theme. For some reason that seems to turn people off nowadays. Even the final costumes didn't take away from how beautiful and wonderfully skated it was at U.S. Nationals and the Olympics. Ave Maria/Amen is not all that different in style from many other programs we've seen over the years yet all of a sudden it was horrible. Perhaps it was the popularity (or lack of) of B&A or maybe it was that it was choreographed by a coach who has become unpopular. Who knows?

IMO Linichuk gave both B&A and a undertrained DomShabs two of the best programs of those teams respective careers. Sadly it seems injury (in the case of Oksana and Max) as well as having the tide turn against the coach and both of her top teams (with the public and in the skating world) did them all in.

B&A have been a classy and talented team. They helped to put American icedancing back on the map and I'll miss them. I look forward to seeing them skate professionally in the future.

Rex
06-11-2010, 02:22 AM
Back in the day, there was talk about them remaining until at least 2014, because they were so young. But yeah, a classy duo. And Tanith will always bring the pretty.

So will Ben - at least his hamstrings for VALuvsMKwan ;).

dst7star
06-11-2010, 02:35 AM
I will miss them. I wish them all the best.

NancyNC
06-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Yep, especially my elbow getting to touch Ben's very fine hindquarters... :swoon:

As Tara would say, they can't ever take that away from you. :D

jenji124
06-11-2010, 02:44 AM
:wuzrobbed: I wish them all the best

vivika1982
06-11-2010, 02:52 AM
Good luck to Tanith and Ben :) Farewell to grace and passion.

Lacey
06-11-2010, 03:02 AM
She is one of the prettiest skaters and people ever!

I hope they make some bucks on the pro circuit, such as it is, then teaching?

AJ Skatefan
06-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Yes, truly a class act all the way. They always remained poised and professional even when things didn't go their way. They paved the way for US ice dancing and I've loved every program they've done.

love skating
06-11-2010, 03:19 AM
I hope Stars on Ice gives them a long contract. They were wonderful on the tour this year and were a perfect fit for SOI. I look forward to seeing their pro programs.

Thanks B&A for a great career!

Sparks
06-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Yes, truly a class act all the way. They always remained poised and professional even when things didn't go their way. They paved the way for US ice dancing and I've loved every program they've done.

UBER!!! :P

AJ Skatefan
06-11-2010, 03:33 AM
UBER!!! :P

Yes, I'm an uber and proud of it!!!! I feel like I watched them grow up.

sniff, sniff :tanben1:

TanithandBenFan
06-11-2010, 04:07 AM
I was privileged to see Tanith and Ben skate at nine Nationals, four Skate Americas, 2009 Worlds, and the 2010 Olympics. So many great memories! A few of my favorites:

- Their OD at 2003 Nats when they took over first place
- FD at 2005 Nats with the 6.0's across the board. I loved watching them practice "Shadritsa" because they always gave 110% energy to it even in practice.
- FD at 2008 Nats. "Chopin" was a masterpiece and they poured every ounce of emotion they had into it.
- OD at 2009 Worlds. They looked so confident and should have won that phase by an even larger margin than they did.
- FD at 2010 Nats. Such an emotional and powerful performance. It was a wonderful way for them to end their last Nats.

Someone upthread said the 2006 Olys were their best, but I think they skated better in Vancouver. Even though they didn't win a medal there, they skated wonderfully and with total confidence in all three phases. It's just a shame they weren't rewarded for it.

I hope they skate professionally for a long time and get another chance to commentate this coming season. Thank you for ten years of amazing memories, Tanith and Ben!

peibeck
06-11-2010, 04:08 AM
:wuzrobbed

B/A really brought dance to the fore in American skating like no other couple, and continued to develop and improve until their final skate on Olympic ice.

In their wake, America has become a major power in ice dance with amazing depth in both the junior and senior ranks. While they are not solely to praise for this amazing turn in their sport, their talent, drive, and class have certainly been an inspiration for so many other teams. I wish them all the greatest success in whatever endeavours they strive for next! Good luck Tanith and Ben!

Sit_spin
06-11-2010, 04:27 AM
Aww...

I will miss them. They were the first ice dance team I truly followed, and I loved them. Best wishes to them in their future endeavors.