PDA

View Full Version : 'Funny Girl' Set for 2012 Broadway Revival. Lea?

Pages : [1] 2

soxxy
06-08-2010, 11:40 PM
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/140167-Hello-Gorgeous-Funny-Girl-Directed-by-Sher-To-Make-Broadway-Return

Boyett said he was open to casting "new talent" in the coveted role of Brice, but also commented that "Hollywood types" had expressed interest. Boyett also said of "Glee" TV star and Spring Awakening veteran Lea Michele, "I think Lea is wonderful, she's great, and she would certainly be on anybody's list," adding, "She’s also got a pretty good gig going now." Michele performed one of Funny Girl's signature tunes "Don't Rain On My Parade" this past season on the hit FOX series, which was picked up for a third season through 2012.

I think Lea would be perfect.

essence_of_soy
06-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Would Idina Menzel be too old for the role? I loved her rendition of Funny Girl on GLEE.

Also, Britain's Martine McCutcheon does a killer version of DROMP on youtube.

skatemomaz
06-09-2010, 12:34 AM
I think Idina Menzel would be awesome in the role. Her rendition of Funny Girl on Glee was amazing.

MOIJTO
06-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Gotta do something to generate an audience, Wicked can play only so long, so can Cats and Chorus line!

Jayar
06-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Hell to the yeah, Idina is too old. Fanny is a teenager. Idina is... well, not...

I would bet money that Jennifer Damiano gets the part.

soxxy
06-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Hell to the yeah, Idina is too old. Fanny is a teenager. Idina is... well, not...

Yes, for the part she's too old and actually way too pretty. (How many people have that problem? ;)) The first song of the show (movie, too, I think) is "If A Girl Isn't Pretty" where her mother's friends counsel Fannie:

"If a girl isn't pretty
Like a Miss Atlantic City,
All she gets in life
Is pity and a pat....."

ETA: Jennifer Damiano has just been cast as Mary Jane in the mega-million dollar Spiderman musical to open later this year.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/new-mary-jane-for-spider-man-musical/

TalentedButHumble
06-10-2010, 02:11 AM
Well, I thought Babs was pretty. :shuffle:

I'm not as rah-rah Lea Michele as some people. (Then again, I have some problems with Glee in general.)

And my first thought was that this is one of those instances where I just can't imagine anyone else doing this. It's like anyone Not-Aretha singing "Respect," etc. Or maybe it's just 'cos I was a very young music theatre fan when Streisand first became a movie star, and so that (film) performance is imprinted on me. :)

[Oh gawd, now I wanna watch "Don't Rain on My Parade." Luuurve the Statue of Liberty moment. :cheer2:]

soxxy
06-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Well, I thought Babs was pretty. :shuffle:

[Oh gawd, now I wanna watch "Don't Rain on My Parade." Luuurve the Statue of Liberty moment. :cheer2:]

Here you go. One of the most iconic movie moments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_g3kkGH8Mo

I thought Streisand was gorgeous, especially when she filmed the movie.

Latte
06-12-2010, 02:54 AM
For some reason Christina Agularra(sp) popped in my head.
She certainly has the voice for it. This is not a part that a so-so voice can play.

chipso1
06-12-2010, 02:58 AM
What about Sutton Foster? Laura Benanti? They both might be too old, but I think they could pull it off.

Wyliefan
06-12-2010, 03:05 AM
Benanti, maybe. Foster I'm not sure about -- she's a terrific actress and I love her voice, but I'm not sure it's right for Fanny.

Now, Linda Eder could have done a great job with it a few years ago.

toepick
06-12-2010, 03:15 AM
Idina is way too old.

I think Leslie Kritzer is a great choice. Benanti? Ummm, no. Not the right look or vocal style.

Lea, despite her success on Glee and acclaim from those who do not follow theatre but have a television set, is not the only working Broadway actress in that age range.

nalgene
06-12-2010, 06:19 AM
If they're going to find an unknown, why not do a reality tv show search for the next Fanny? Canada has done it with the Sound of Music, and the UK recently did it with the Wizard of Oz. I don't think the US has produced a show like this yet, surprisingly.

Marlowe
06-12-2010, 06:23 AM
For some reason Christina Agularra(sp) popped in my head.
She certainly has the voice for it. This is not a part that a so-so voice can play.

I imagine Christina Aguilera could sing the hell out of that score. I agree with you that she has the vocal chops for it. She's been compared to Streisand. I'm wondering if she can pull off the comic schtick. Fanny Brice was funny. Christine Aguilera may be too pretty for the role.

I'm pretty much with TalentedButHumble. I too thought Streisand was beautiful, but her beauty was considered *unconventional* - Remember the whole point of the beautiful bride number.

I will go so far as to say that I'm not all that keen on the idea of a revival of this play. Streisand's performance was so difinitive and that performance really lauched her career... a career which is still going. Anyone trying to play the role is going to be compared to her and it is going to be very difficult to move out of the shadow of a living legend. However, I would also agree that there may be some incredible young actor/singer with a gift for comedy who really ought to be discovered. I'm all for that!

It will be interesting to see how well the play will fly on Bdwy without Streisand. I just hope that whoever plays Fanny Brice doesn't end up looking like she's imitating Babs!

chipso1
06-12-2010, 06:32 AM
If they're going to find an unknown, why not do a reality tv show search for the next Fanny? Canada has done it with the Sound of Music, and the UK recently did it with the Wizard of Oz. I don't think the US has produced a show like this yet, surprisingly.

This has been done in the U.S., too. In 2007 NBC had a reality show to find a Sandy and Danny for the "Grease" revival.