PDA

View Full Version : 'Funny Girl' Set for 2012 Broadway Revival. Lea?

Pages : 1 [2]

nalgene
06-12-2010, 06:34 AM
This has been done in the U.S., too. In 2007 NBC had a reality show to find a Sandy and Danny for the "Grease" revival.

Ah, thanks, I must've missed that one. Was it a success?

chipso1
06-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Ah, thanks, I must've missed that one. Was it a success?

I think the TV show had good ratings, but the revival of "Grease" ended up not doing so well...

Theatregirl1122
06-12-2010, 09:06 AM
If they're going to find an unknown, why not do a reality tv show search for the next Fanny? Canada has done it with the Sound of Music, and the UK recently did it with the Wizard of Oz. I don't think the US has produced a show like this yet, surprisingly.

Personally I find the idea horrifying. I watched one episode of the Grease reality show because I figure if I'm going to criticize a thing, I should have at least seen it. The two people cast to play Sandy and Danny weren't particularly appropriate for the roles. They were a far cry, from what I saw, from the best the show probably could have gotten by casting in a traditional manner. Some things are far better handled by a smart theatre people than by popular vote.

soxxy
06-12-2010, 01:26 PM
I thought the reality casting show for Grease dreadful as well. Broadway producers have been turning to television/movie actors for even more of its casting choices this season. At tomorrow's night's Tony Awards, nominated:

Catherine Zeta-Jones
Jude Law
Denzel Washington
Scarlett Johansson
Sean Hayes
Kelsey Grammar
Angela Lansbury (Angela's "origins" can be debated)
Cate Blanchett starred off-Broadway
Christopher Walken
Liev Schreiber
Laura Linney

Last season Hugh Jackman, Daniel Craig, Daniel Radcliffe, Katie Holmes, etc., starred in major productions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/theater/02holiday.html

toepick
06-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Several people on your list had their starts in theatre (Lansbury, Zeta-Jones, and Washington). However, yeah, give me Sutton Foster, Alice Ripley, Emily Skinner, and Brian D'Arcy James over anyone who has made a living in Hollywood.

chipso1
06-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Personally I find the idea horrifying. I watched one episode of the Grease reality show because I figure if I'm going to criticize a thing, I should have at least seen it. The two people cast to play Sandy and Danny weren't particularly appropriate for the roles. They were a far cry, from what I saw, from the best the show probably could have gotten by casting in a traditional manner. Some things are far better handled by a smart theatre people than by popular vote.

I thought Laura Osnes made a fantastic Sandy. She's actually playing the lead in "South Pacific" on Broadway until later this summer. Max Crumm, on the other hand, had a very weak voice and IMO couldn't pull off Danny well at all.

PAskate
06-12-2010, 07:51 PM
My first thought was that Jennifer Hudson would be great.

TalentedButHumble
06-12-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm a huge Christina fan but not sure I could see her doing this. (Let alone would she want to.) BTW did anyone see her on Letterman the other night? What was up with her voice? It sounded all reedy and different to me.

Sutton Foster

Hmmm, now that her name came up - is she already too old for it? I have a soft spot for her, she grew up nearby and was in the local community theatre.

Here you go. One of the most iconic movie moments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_g3kkGH8Mo

Funny Girl ended up being one of the vids I checked out of the library this week. I watched just that scene/ sequence about 3-4x in a row. Great song, wonderful visuals. (Although, having skimmed the unauthorized Babs bio several years ago, I couldn't get out of my head that she and Sharif really did :grope: ... Well, I guess she did just about every one of her male costars except Redford. :P)

Jayar
06-13-2010, 12:50 AM
I think the TV show had good ratings, but the revival of "Grease" ended up not doing so well...

The revival did well... played more than a year. The other show that was done was the Search for the New Elle Woods for Legally Blonde.

cem
06-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Lea Michele will not be able to do the revival. Unless Glee is declines quickly in popularity and is cancelled by 2011. There is no way Fox is going to allow the star of there hit show out of her contract for a year. At best she will be a temporary replacement during summer hitaus.

skatemomaz
06-13-2010, 07:19 PM
My first thought was that Jennifer Hudson would be great.

Jennifer Hudson might have the voice, but she certainly isn't right for the part. Fanny Brice was a Jewish girl from the Lower East Side.

Wyliefan
06-14-2010, 01:02 AM
If they're going to find an unknown, why not do a reality tv show search for the next Fanny? Canada has done it with the Sound of Music, and the UK recently did it with the Wizard of Oz. I don't think the US has produced a show like this yet, surprisingly.

They did it with Oliver! in the U.K., too. I was never able to see the production, alas -- I've only heard the cast album and seen YouTube snippets -- but as far as I can tell, Jodie Prenger was a fantastic choice for Nancy.

Jayar
06-14-2010, 06:31 AM
They could TOTALLY make it part of Glee for Lea to go to Funny Girl... she could still do parts of the show- cross promotion. She leaves school to go play the part... the show gets free publicity, she gets a Tony nomination, and she gets the show much press. And based on the Tony performance tonight, I would say that she is lobbying for it.

chipso1
06-14-2010, 04:45 PM
It could be possible that Lea will have "graduated" high school by 2012 and not have as big of a role on "Glee" after that. If they continue making each season the equivalent to a school year, and she was a sophomore this season, she would be "done" by spring 2012....