PDA

View Full Version : Joubert & Abbott to Try Flamenco

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11

reut
07-12-2010, 07:48 PM
For example, with Brian, he is manlier on the ice, he is strong. That makes my task easier because flamenco men are always very virile and masculine. But it's harder for him to work on movements. Jeremy is more ductile, more fluid. For him it’s more difficult to be strong, but on the other hand he is capable of doing more complex choreography, like move in a very different way, with contemporary movements. For him I made the choreography very rich with movements, while for Brian I did something simpler, but stronger.

My choreography is complex and it's very hard for them to assimilate all the movements at once. So with Jeremy and Brian, I will work with them again in August and maybe also just before their competitions start.

There is a huge difference in skating and style between Jeremy and Brian. So I know the programs will be completely different though obviously you will see my touch. I know they will compete against each other and I will help both of them. And because they are different, they will show different choreographies so people won't say: "Oh, we don't know [who to choose], they are exactly the same." And by the way, by chance they are both doing the short program with me and the long program with David Wilson.

Jeremy’s music is also from one of my shows. For Brian it's Malagueña, a very different version with metal guitars, very strong. He showed me the music and asked my opinion, and I liked it. So Brian chose his own music.

Take Brian, for example. For me the timing to work with him was perfect, because he started to become more open. I was really, really happy with his work. We were in the studio about two hours a day, and he was listening, listening, and trying, trying. Amazing! It was a good experience.

From Antonio Najarro's interview on Absolute Skating (http://www.absoluteskating.com/interviews/2010antonionajarro.html)

dinakt
07-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Does anybody know what Jeremy performed in Sun Valley yesterday? Any new programs by chance?

museksk8r
07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Wait . . . so both Joubert and Abbott are using both Najarro and David Wilson for their choreography this coming season. What a funny coincidence! Kat and Deb gave us The Battle of the Carmens, Boitano and Orser gave us The Battle of the Brians, and now Abbott and Joubert will give us The Battle of the Dueling Choreographers . . . should be fun and exciting! :P

Sylvia
07-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Thansk for posting the Najarro interview link, reut! :)

Does anybody know what Jeremy performed in Sun Valley yesterday? Any new programs by chance?
No, I heard he reprised "Gotta Get Through This" (Daniel Bedingfield) and "At This Moment" (Michael Buble).

dinakt
07-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Thank you Reut!
Thank you Sylvia!
No music reveals from Jeremy yet. Waiting with bated breath:).

kwanfan1818
07-12-2010, 11:38 PM
I thought this was interesting:

Skating fans are always judgmental. They see Brian Joubert, who is more of a solid skater, and they immediately say: "No, no, he can't do this".

I'm not sure the judgment is that he can't do it, but that in the end he won't do it and will simplify the programs.

Rock2
07-13-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure the judgment is that he can't do it, but that in the end he won't do it and will simplify the programs.

That's exactly it. And it's exactly why Abbott and Joubert can use similar themes and choreographers and look very different on the ice. Brian has limits to what he's willing to do. Happy to be wrong, but what I expect:

Jeremy will be very body conscious. Tension in the right places, but will present a more elegant line that incorporates the whole body. He will probably have costuming that's inventive and may include purples, reds, golds...any of the above. We'll see a better array here.

Brian's program will be more tension and intensity than anything. The theme will be carried off with energy more than choreography. Think "Plushenko". Lots of hip movement, staring down the judges and dramatic stops with hands clasped above his head or framing his waist. Formulaic. Inventive footwork but little else. Costume is guaranteed to be in black with either gold or red accents. If I see anything else I'll be shocked.

seabm7
07-13-2010, 04:33 PM
There is a new Jeremy article at icenetwork.
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100713&content_id=12229362&vkey=ice_news

SP Viejos Aires by Ensamble Nuevo Tango
LP The music from the movie "Life is Beautiful"

Wilson says Jeremy was his last choreography for the season.

Ziggy
07-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Excellent Najarro interview! He made some really interesting points.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Libertango
07-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Life is beautiful :swoon: I can't wait to see this program!

reut
07-13-2010, 04:52 PM
There is a new Jeremy article at icenetwork.
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100713&content_id=12229362&vkey=ice_news

I was excited to know that we will see the new SP pretty soon, in the coming Korean show.

Polymer Bob
07-13-2010, 05:02 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I got Blades of Glory flashbacks. :P

sk9tingfan
07-13-2010, 05:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax4yLTkaK4g

The actual cut of the music that will be used for Jeremy's SP.

millyskate
07-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Nice interview. Can't wait to see both programs!

Mamouna38
07-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Great interview ,thank you Reut !:)