PDA

View Full Version : Possible Closure to Amelia Earhart's Disappearance

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rex
06-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Possibly died as a castaway. (http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1874801/did_amelia_earhart_died_as_a_castaway/)

Gillespie said recent advances in DNA extraction from touched objects might help solve the mystery surrounding Earhart’s crash.

"If DNA from the recovered objects matches the Earhart reference sample now held by the DNA lab we've been working with, we'll have what most people would consider to be conclusive evidence that Amelia Earhart spent her last days on Nikumaroro," he said.

The area seems to be where British Colonial Service Officer Gerald Gallagher discovered a partial skeleton of a castaway in 1940. A forensic report describing the remains said they were likely those of a white female of northern European extraction, roughly 5 feet 7 inches tall -- a description matching Amelia Earhart.

I hope it is; I'm sure her surviving family members would be at peace. But what a way to go; on a deserted island, possibly injured and alone. Dying alone would have to be the worst part of it.

Icetalavista
06-07-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm finding this odd. Wouldn't the searchers have combed any islands in the general area of Howland island soon after she disappeared? They're just finding this now?

Rex
06-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm finding this odd. Wouldn't the searchers have combed any islands in the general area of Howland island soon after she disappeared? They're just finding this now?

I know, especially when the skeleton that fit Earhart's description was found in 1940 by the British. I am :confused: about that.

skatefan
06-07-2010, 03:58 PM
But what a way to go; on a deserted island, possibly injured and alone. Dying alone would have to be the worst part of it.
Oh :(

According to Wikipedia they did search the area but not the island itself, apparently radio signals indicated a crash landing at sea.

nubka
06-07-2010, 04:14 PM
More speculation. She should of stayed home...

Garden Kitty
06-07-2010, 04:23 PM
I wonder if somewhere in Los Angeles she's waiting in a church with other souls from the island waiting to "move on". :shuffle:

genevieve
06-07-2010, 04:35 PM
More speculation. She should of stayed home...
With that reasoning no one would ever explore or push the boundaries of technology.

BittyBug
06-07-2010, 04:37 PM
LOL, GK.

The castaway theory has been in play for a while now. And she wouldn't have necessarily died alone since she did have a navigator with her.

Rex
06-07-2010, 05:02 PM
LOL, GK.

The castaway theory has been in play for a while now. And she wouldn't have necessarily died alone since she did have a navigator with her.

I wonder if he died before her, while searching the island for food or whatever, and died in the process. His remains still have not been found.

my little pony
06-08-2010, 02:31 AM
I wonder if somewhere in Los Angeles she's waiting in a church with other souls from the island waiting to "move on". :shuffle:

LOL! I hope this time the dog gets to go to the church

Satellitegirl
06-08-2010, 02:40 AM
LOL Garden_Kitty. Good stuff.

nubka
06-08-2010, 04:40 AM
With that reasoning no one would ever explore or push the boundaries of technology.

A lot of good it did her... :scream:

WindSpirit
06-08-2010, 01:11 PM
With that reasoning no one would ever explore or push the boundaries of technology. Or did anything really.

She should have stayed home? (to nubka) What would say about someone who got killed in their own home? Should have gone out that day? Seriously. :huh:

ArtisticFan
06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
A lot of good it did her... :scream:

The woman was a pilot, but she wasn't psychic.

Satellitegirl
06-08-2010, 05:51 PM
They don't really say how old the bones that were found in 1940 are....so there's a chance that even if they were castaways, they still lived long lives(providing there were food sources.............who wants crab legs?)