PDA

View Full Version : Who wil win RSG world this year?

lukeanthony
06-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Can anyone beat Kanaeva?

pumba
06-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Well, there is noone unbeatable, and Evgenia is not an excepton. But let's face the reality - like it or not Kanaeva and Kondakova are the 2 best gymnasts currently competing. Melitina Staniouta of Belarus is an exceptionaly talented and skillful gymnast as well, but the things are that even if Evgenia loses the title this year - than only to Kondakova. And this is what actually I am expecting to happen.
The tandem of Kanaeva-Kondakova reminds me of one of Kabaeva-Tchaschina from 2000 to 2004. Surely Kondakova is a stable #2 of the Russian team, though capable to beat Kanaeva on occasions, and bear the Russian flag when Kanaeva is out or has a bad day. Plus it seems almost unbeleavable that Kanaeva has been competing at almost every tournament for the last 3 eyars - winning almost all of them - she must be very tired (and it was well seen during some of the events) - so its a good chance for Daria to beat Evgenia. National federations (though its a Wch :)) let #2s of the teams beat the leaders from time to time - to strengthen their positions. This we could see in Kabaeva-Tchaschina, Bessonova-Godunko, and many more other cases.
So I'm voting for Evgenia - as the worlds best gymnast, who can be challenged by Daria, and Melitina taking the bronze.

Domshabfan
06-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Well, there is noone unbeatable, and Evgenia is not an excepton. But let's face the reality - like it or not Kanaeva and Kondakova are the 2 best gymnasts currently competing. Melitina Staniouta of Belarus is an exceptionaly talented and skillful gymnast as well, but the things are that even if Evgenia loses the title this year - than only to Kondakova. And this is what actually I am expecting to happen.
The tandem of Kanaeva-Kondakova reminds me of one of Kabaeva-Tchaschina from 2000 to 2004. Surely Kondakova is a stable #2 of the Russian team, though capable to beat Kanaeva on occasions, and bear the Russian flag when Kanaeva is out or has a bad day. Plus it seems almost unbeleavable that Kanaeva has been competing at almost every tournament for the last 3 eyars - winning almost all of them - she must be very tired (and it was well seen during some of the events) - so its a good chance for Daria to beat Evgenia. National federations (though its a Wch :)) let #2s of the teams beat the leaders from time to time - to strengthen their positions. This we could see in Kabaeva-Tchaschina, Bessonova-Godunko, and many more other cases.
So I'm voting for Evgenia - as the worlds best gymnast, who can be challenged by Daria, and Melitina taking the bronze.

Your arrangement makes sense, but i do think there is a huge gap between both these ladies when it comes scoring potential. For Kondakova to beat Kanaeva, kondakova needs to go clean in all her performance and hope kanaeva makes at least two mistakes; which is very rare. For that matter I think Kanaeva will win this year, interestingly kanaeva has become more and more expressive, she is combining difficulty, Artistry and execution (except for few iffy leaps ) very well. I liked her in 2008, but i think she is far superior that now.

Further more I think there is very good chance that Daria Demitreva could replace kondakova as the Russian no.2 latter this year, if not next year. Dmitrieva is clearly third best gymnast in the world, only reason why we don't see more often is the two per country rule. I actual hate some of the pivots they do with bend legs. It will also be interesting to see how Yana Lukonina progresses over next two years ( i am hoping she will be the russian no.2 at the Olympics). As for Melitina, she is best of the rest and should have no problem in getting the bronze medal at the Olympics if she keeps on progressing the way she has done over the last year.

pumba
06-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Yes, Kanaeva's marks are really inflated :), to extand that does not reflect her superiority. She is definitely the best gymnast overall, but just like with Alina Kabaeva -her marks seem just cosmic, something like Yuna Kim vs the rest of the wolrd :D. But on the other hand, Noone expected from Kondakova the AA silver at Worlds last year. Had she won the bronze behind Bessonova, or remained on the 4th place maybe even behind Staniouta - that would be considered great for the Wolds debutant. So there is a hope for Kondakova to beat Kanaeva even without the latter making mistakes (well, at least I hope that happens ;)). Anyways the Russian fed. needs 2 strong gymnasts and some image of rivalry prior the Games, just like Alina vs Irina, so Kondakova does have a chance.
As for the other talented girls from the team - I think that barring some misfortune on Kondakova's side - the second spot for the 2012 is determined. No matter how talented they are (and Kondakova is a real gem as well) - it takes a couple of seasons to promote a girl to make her really competitive in judges' eyes (the exception is Evgenia :)). Losing a silver to a more promoted Staniouta - I'm sure is not what Viner wants, and Kondakova's no2 position is solid so imho it makes no sense to change her for someone else.

BTW, maybe a bronze for Staniouta is not a lock either. Though I'm disagree with the probable outcome, but an AZE girl can take it (:violin: politics)

Domshabfan
09-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Surprise, surprise, Kondakova beat kanaeva in the rope final, but normalcy returned in hoops with Kanaeva winning the finals.

Results Individual Apparatus Final – Rope

Gold: KONDAKOVA Daria (RUS) – Total: 28.750
Silver: KANAEVA Evgenia (RUS) – Total: 28.600
Bronze: STANIOUTA Melitina (BLR) – Total: 27.650

Results Individual Apparatus Final – Hoop

Gold: KANAEVA Evgenia (RUS) – Total: 29.200
Silver: KONDAKOVA Daria (RUS) – Total: 28.900
Bronze: GARAYEVA Aliya (AZE) – Total: 27.675
FIG article (http://www.fig-gymnastics.com/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,5187-187975-19728-44545-310584-17968-5233-layout188-205197-news-item,00.html)

beepbeep
09-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Whoa!! :eek:

Kanaeva didn't make it to the ribbon finals. (3rd russian score)
She's still the all around leader.

Domshabfan
09-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Whoa!! :eek:

Kanaeva didn't make it to the ribbon finals. (3rd russian score)
She's still the all around leader.

they are keeping there options open with 4 girls in contention for 2012

pumba
09-23-2010, 11:05 AM
I think it's just a kind of an artificial creating of a rivalry. It annoys many when one country and one athlete dominates the sport for years. So if they can not stop Russian dominance, at least they can hinder Evgenia a bit. I am still undecided on who should have won the rope that went to Daria, because Evgenia was nearly perfect as always, BUT if previously we had the judges favouring Evgena over Daria in case of even performances - now its not a aguarantee anymore. Still I dont have a problem with Daria winning at all :).
And I don't think this is a revolution or a dramatic change in standings that we are facing. The 2011 worlds will matter a lot, and worlds held in the middle of quadrennial will soon be forgotten. As I said before - its a good strategy to promote the #2 and create rivalry before the ultimate start - the 2012 Olympics. I don't think Viner is going to miss a chance to have a 2xOlys champion in the person of Evgenia. Seriously nothing awful is happening to her. She is still in a great shape and silver at Worlds as well as a 3rd result in one of the disciplines - is not a bad thing!!, esp. considering that she lost to another two outstanding teammates.
Seems like my prediction that Kondakova is going to winn the AA comes true, lets see;)
Pity there are only 2 gymnasts in AA per country. Russia has at least 4 amazing gymnasts who could easily be placed 1-4 at any tournament.

pumba
09-23-2010, 11:11 AM
BTW, what do you think of Godunko's return? Does it make any sense (her 7,8,10,13.. placements) and help the team UKR, or just one more time thanks to Deruginas' "wise" strategy prevents the younger girls from getting more experience and judges attention that is so needed in obtaining a positive reputation ??

Yehudi
09-23-2010, 02:33 PM
BTW, what do you think of Godunko's return? Does it make any sense (her 7,8,10,13.. placements) and help the team UKR, or just one more time thanks to Deruginas' "wise" strategy prevents the younger girls from getting more experience and judges attention that is so needed in obtaining a positive reputation ??

The Deriuginas lost the plot a long time ago. Basically, after the Deriuginas completely screwed over Serebrianskaya, a bunch of the other countries got fed up with them and decided to follow Viner instead (this is according to Vitrichenko's book). Since then, the Deriuginas and their lackey have further alienated every single country that might support them and it's gotten to the point where even the US juniors are beating the top Ukrainian juniors at competitions. It should not happen under fair circumstances.

And it's not just other countries. They've alienated many of their former students as well. I'm surprised Godunko came back (which makes me wonder if they offered her something substantial) since she did not part with them on good terms!

pumba
09-24-2010, 06:45 AM
So happy to see Darria Dmitrieva with individual apparatus gold medal!:cheer:
The whole team is incredible. The three girls with individual golds in a team is quite a dream.
So now if Kondakova wins the AA gold we will have Daria K and Evgenia going 1-2 in the Olympics, with Daria D being the 3rd number (the substitute), and together with Yana Lukonina will most likely be a star tandem for Rio :respec:.

What are your predictions for the AA bronze?
Will it be Garaeva, Maksimenko, Staniouta, or Charkashina?

pumba
09-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Congrats to Evgenia with her gold!
She proved that she is the best. After all the one who has better nerves wins :).
She obviously was very tired after a 3 years of hard work and participating in a huge number of competitions, but she managed to cope with her emotions and took the title one more time. Well, Daria Kondakova has a chance the next year :)

beepbeep
09-25-2010, 03:30 AM
Kanaeva really proved what she's made of by winning this one. (and Kondakova having ball problems probably didn't hurt either...)
I don't always like her routines, but one has to admit she's darn good!
I only wished she went for quicker paced routines...

Kondakova is definetively the future: her handling is superb, her routines are dynamic and, yet, controlled, she's charismatic... but she could stand higher on her toes, just sayin'...

And, oh: I'm soooo f****** happy Staniouta won bronze :rollin: Her musicality is amazing. She's been my RG crush since last year's worlds.

Yay for Maximenko too, 5th place, not too shabby at all.

Overall, this seemed to be a pretty fair Worlds (on rhythmic terms, of course :D), except for Mitrosz getting to be on finals (:huh: seriously??) and placing top 10 (double :huh:)

HisWeirness
10-15-2010, 05:08 PM
For Rhythmic Gymnastics fans in the USA, Universal Sports TV will be broadcasting a one hour show of 2010 Rhythmic Worlds from 5:00pm - 6:00pm on Wednesday, October 20th.