PDA

View Full Version : Why won't Kwan skate in the US?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

MR-FAN
06-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Michelle's return to the US will be at the 2014 Nationals :smokin:

Jot the Dot Dot
06-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Call it Stage 2 of her life. She knows it would be embarassing to compete aginst newbies like YuNa, so why try?

PS-OT I know, but it's good to see that SOI has picked up Rachael in it's shows.

Simone411
06-08-2010, 02:09 PM
I have no idea why Kwan is not doing shows in the US but I think Kwan is indeed interested in having her own show in the US. It was reported in Korea a while ago that Kwan's agency actually contacted Yu-Na Kim's new agency about doing an ice show tour together in the US. With Yu-Na deciding not to retire, I guess an extended tour in the US is unlikely this year.

Thanks for posting. What you stated is consistent. I'm also looking forward to Yu-Na's next show. :)

Prancer
06-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Call it Stage 2 of her life. She knows it would be embarassing to compete aginst newbies like YuNa, so why try?

:confused:

So she won't skate here because she's embarrassed to compete against YuNa (even though I don't think anyone is talking about competition, just performance), but she's not embarrassed to go skate in Korea?

Sylvia
06-08-2010, 03:12 PM
I had heard unofficially earlier this year that Yu-Na's and Michelle's people were interested in the possibility of joining forces for some shows (not an extended tour) in the U.S. after the Olympics, but I guess those plans didn't come to fruition for whatever reason(s). Perhaps in the future?

RD
06-08-2010, 05:28 PM
...I think Kwan is indeed interested in having her own show in the US. It was reported in Korea a while ago that Kwan's agency actually contacted Yu-Na Kim's new agency about doing an ice show tour together in the US. With Yu-Na deciding not to retire, I guess an extended tour in the US is unlikely this year.

First time I'm hearing about this. Interesting indeed...I wonder if such plans will turn into anything concrete, and whether such shows would be televised or not.

Simone411
06-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Right before Christmas of last year, Michelle did say that she was looking forward to performing in front of the U.S. audience again soon. So with Yu-Na not retiring, it may be more unlikely that there will be an extended tour in the US. That is for now.

Iceman
06-09-2010, 05:01 AM
She's at the Fletcher School of Tufts, isn't she?

Average Age: 27;
Age Range: 21-57 (http://fletcher.tufts.edu/about/at_a_glance.shtml)

Sounds like she fits right in to me. With her State Department experience, she might even be ahead of the game.

The average age of college graduates earning bachelor's degrees is 25, while graduate schools have seen a sharp increase in new students 40 and older in the last decade. If Michelle is behind, she can't be too far back.
Assuming her goal is to become an official diplomat, Michelle might be seen as being somewhat behind :
after passing a competitive series of tests, she will be accepted as a probationary foreign attaché. This probationary period lasts for five years, and it is spent in Washington, with the possibility of some time abroad. During this time she will undergo training, including language training if her second language skills need help. After five years, she will be evaluated in order to become an official diplomat. So she would be 35+ before her official career started in this field.

OliviaPug
06-09-2010, 05:38 AM
Assuming her goal is to become an official diplomat, Michelle might be seen as being somewhat behind :
after passing a competitive series of tests, she will be accepted as a probationary foreign attaché. This probationary period lasts for five years, and it is spent in Washington, with the possibility of some time abroad. During this time she will undergo training, including language training if her second language skills need help. After five years, she will be evaluated in order to become an official diplomat. So she would be 35+ before her official career started in this field.

Kwan has already acted in an official capacity on behalf of the State Department for the U.S. as Public Diplomacy Envoy since, what, 2007 (?), and continues to do so. I would say she's already started her official career, though not as a diplomat per se.

O-

skatingfan5
06-09-2010, 04:07 PM
after passing a competitive series of tests, she will be accepted as a probationary foreign attaché. This probationary period lasts for five years, and it is spent in Washington, with the possibility of some time abroad. During this time she will undergo training, including language training if her second language skills need help. After five years, she will be evaluated in order to become an official diplomat. So she would be 35+ before her official career started in this field.Well, that is one route to working in the diplomatic field, but not necessarily the only one.

PDilemma
06-09-2010, 04:13 PM
During this time she will undergo training, including language training if her second language skills need help .

As I understand it, she is already fluent in Chinese, an in-demand skill for diplomacy and other government jobs.

And don't forget that name recognition changes your options. Most students in her field don't already have a high profile position with the State Department.

I'm just starting my graduate degree right now. If Michelle is "behind" then my life is officially hopeless. :wall:

Matryeshka
06-09-2010, 05:25 PM
. So she would be 35+ before her official career started in this field.

Errrr...so? Oh the horrors of training for a job beyond the age of 30! How will society cope! That Kwan, still making problems. :mad:

The average adult entering the work forc now will have roughly 4-5 careers in his working life, and between 16-18 jobs within those careers. So, she won't be the only one at the ripe old age of 35 starting a new career. If anything, Kwan's behind. This would only be another facet of her second career with the state department. What she really needs to do is drop out and go to cooking school. Or clown school. Maybe a clown-cooking school.

DickButtonFan
06-09-2010, 05:30 PM
This board sure has issues with age :(

skatesindreams
06-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Once again, another thread about MK is being used to question her accomplishments, or her choices.
How many of you have accomplished as much in your life, at not quite thirty?

Whatever course her Diplomatic career takes, she won't have been "behind" anyone.
I'm looking forward to seeing her skate again, as well.

stjeaskategym
06-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Once again, another thread about MK is being used to question her accomplishments, or her choices.
How many of you have accomplished as much in your life, at not quite thirty?

Whatever course her Diplomatic career takes, she won't have been "behind" anyone.
I'm looking forward to seeing her skate again, as well.

Seriously. How many people in the diplomatic field have multiple Olympic medals and fans around the world? Anything Michelle does in her next career is icing on the cake, and there is no rush.