PDA

View Full Version : Why won't Kwan skate in the US?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Carolla5501
06-07-2010, 07:10 PM
I agree that one of the big "draws" to Korea may be the fact that she's not the "star"!

I don't know that she could ever not be the "Star" here. No one ever stepped up to take her place in Ladies Figure Skating :(

query5
06-07-2010, 08:55 PM
easy--people

same as last year and in 2006 --not IMG stablem, majority of shows are IMG related unless they want to have her and work around her schedule they aren't going to go out of their way to get her. THey (img) have too many skaters in their own stable to worry about regards to get skating, money and tour to get michelle,
IMG_wants only IMG skaters in their US shows and tours.!!!!
most of numbers and tours are with IMG__how many times do we have to tell you-michelle isn't with IMG_therefore-she isn't asked.

now part of it is school, but majority of shows in u.s. are IMG related,
yu-na is independent show, last year and now this year.
michelle is with goldberg-not img,

IMG and US. doesn't allow anyother skater who isnt in IMG STABLe to skate with other skaters in their own sanctions shows, unless competition or ratififed by us.
champions on ice wasn't img related, therefore she skated,

Lanie
06-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Jeremy Abbott and Rachael Flatt are not managed by IMG and they are on SOI. :rolleyes:

Michelle has better things to do, like school. She probably makes way more money skating in Yuna's shows anyway.

citrus
06-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Probably I misremembered, but didn't Michelle also visited some schools, charity or something when in Korea as part of the State Dept work? Timing was right?

Maybe an old press clipping might be able to disprove my mistake.

RunnersHigh
06-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Probably I misremembered, but didn't Michelle also visited some schools, charity or something when in Korea as part of the State Dept work? Timing was right?

She did and there's a thread (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70176) related. ;)

And guys, MK's fame in Korea is beyond your expectation. She is a huge "star" for figure fans.

Jo Ann
06-07-2010, 11:41 PM
We loves ya, Kween! :glamor:

Please skate in the U.S. someday.:watch:

sbmeagain
06-08-2010, 12:35 AM
not enough money here

meggonzo
06-08-2010, 01:00 AM
would money really make a difference though? I can't imagine that she is hurting for money...

attyfan
06-08-2010, 01:21 AM

IIRC, she made two separate trips to Korea -- one for the State Dept. where she visited schools, etc. but didn't do shows and one for Yu-Na's show, where she didn't visit any schools or charities.

senorita
06-08-2010, 03:41 AM
i really wish she skates in europe as well, I ve never seen her live and I want to see her once :swoon:

OliviaPug
06-08-2010, 05:43 AM
I think logistics play a major role in Kwan's decision-making process. She has been in school all skating season and this year (until recently). Kwan had an Olympic Commentary gig. Kwan has State Dept. commitments. She is involved in other activities, charities, organizations, etc. She is busy! Like others have said, I think the timing of Yu Na's shows has been favorable for Kwan -- during school downtime. And, while the location is less than perfect coming from the U.S., the circumstances are very favorable, including good production with $ and backing (not a cheesy show), presumably good money, high visibility, and opportunity for Kwan to continue to build her friendship with Yu Na and participate in an activity/sport that she has trained for and loved nearly her entire life. And Kwan can do all that without having the responsibility of putting on the show herself, as others have said. Seems like a win-win situation for her. If a similar situation was available to her in the U.S., I thinks she would similarly take advantage of it.

O-

bardtoob
06-08-2010, 05:52 AM
Never heard about it officially.

But, rumor had it that a female skater(I know who she is though ;)) was paid more than $50,000 at FOI 2009.
And the higher at IAS 2009 because sponsors are flocking to Yu-Na show.

Again! it's a rumor without foundation.

That is a pretty good chuck of change considering that her past earnings were probably invested, so she would probably not want to draw from them while the market is significantly lower than when invested.

michelle K
06-08-2010, 06:52 AM
I have no idea why Kwan is not doing shows in the US but I think Kwan is indeed interested in having her own show in the US. It was reported in Korea a while ago that Kwan's agency actually contacted Yu-Na Kim's new agency about doing an ice show tour together in the US. With Yu-Na deciding not to retire, I guess an extended tour in the US is unlikely this year.

zaphyre14
06-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Why hasn't she taken any?

She doesn't want to?

MOIJTO
06-08-2010, 12:53 PM
'cause she can't make any money here! Pay attention to attendance at ice shows lately?