PDA

View Full Version : Ice Dancers Chitwood/Hanretty Retire From Competitive Skating

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Starshine6
06-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Team GB Ice Dancers Christina Chitwood and Mark Hanretty have announced their retirement from competitive skating.

The news was displayed on their website: http://chitwood-hanretty.ice-dance.com/journal/journal-6.5.10.html and on their official Facebook page.

I am sad that we will no longer be seeing them in competition but wish them all the best for the future.

Ziggy
06-06-2010, 09:57 AM
It's a shame although after everything they have been through, I can understand that decision. Good luck in their professional careers.

(P.S. the usual suspects, please don't turn it into another NISA IS EVIL thread which is gonna get it closed :P)

Lanie
06-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Aw, that's a shame, I enjoyed them.

I hope they have a great professional career.

Imperfect Edge
06-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Very sad to hear that, had been very much looking forward to another battle between them and Penny&Nick in particular.

However they have achieved a lot, been to Europeans, Worlds. Its good to hear that they are retiring together and will continue to perform professionally so we'll no doubt still be seeing them in the skating world.

They'll be missed in the competitive world though :-(

DanceDanceDance
06-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Such a shame! What a sad loss to Team GB, but good luck to them both in all that they do.

kwanfan1818
06-06-2010, 06:12 PM
As a figure skating fan, that is bad and sad news.

I wish them the best in whatever they do next.

pani
06-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Sad news..... I really like this team. They look good in Torino/ Good luck to them!

Asli
06-07-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm sorry to hear about this decision. Chitwood/Hanretty were the most promising up-and-coming team from the UK IMO. Especially Hanretty showed lots of natural talent. He somewhat overshadowed Chitwood with his softer movements and ease on the ice, but she was making rapid progress and one could see how much she loved ice dance. It is a pity they couldn't fulfil their potential.

Hanretty writes in his blog:

Some of you may be upset that I shall no longer be chasing my goals of Olympic Gold, however I want you to realise that in actual fact, I feel a sense of enlightenment and relief. The realisation that I no longer feel at the whim of other people is a blessing. I have realised that happiness is not sought in the acquisition of medals, and indeed many of the champions I have met still seem lacking in contentment.

I have only looked into the British skating threads a few times so I am not aware of the reasons for the :drama:. However, even another UK team has been unfairly preferred to them on some occasions, I can't help wishing they had looked at the bigger picture and persevered. They have already competed at the Euros and the Worlds as well as at several other international competitions with respectable results. AFAIK C/H have been skating together for only four years and neither had been ice dancers for more than a couple of years before that. So their achievements so far are remarkable.

While Mark's frustration with the politicking is understandable, life is unfair for everyone in every profession where competition is involved. You are always discriminated against if you don't have the right people's support, the right background, the right nationality, the right gender, the right looks, enough money, enough name recognition, enough charisma and so on and so forth. :( You are always at the whim of other people to a certain extent - and in ice dance this is only to a certain extent as well. Those who persevere give themselves a chance. The others will never know what might have been.

Of course some skaters may prefer skating in shows to competition. That is perfectly understandable - an audience in which half of the arena doesn't hope you'll fall is not too bad either! ;)

Good luck Christina and Mark! :)

coldmum
06-07-2010, 09:56 AM
It's so sad to see two people who have worked so hard and committed themselves to a sport retire before they have reached their competitive pinnacle. Hopefully there are other couples who come up behind them and learn from them and can put as much enthusiasm and commitment into their skating journey! It appears that the road to success in UK Ice Dance is a rocky one but hopefully we have enough skaters willing to persever through it.

Good luck to Christina and Mark. Please, please just continue to give us enjoyment by continuing to skate professionly!

Timbuktu
06-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Whole post

Excellent points. I wish they had persevered too, having come so far, but I can understand the decision to call it a day.

If your own country is going to thwart your efforts to succeed or to represent the country, then what is the point in dedicating the required amount of time, effort and money in pursuing your goals?

It's true that there is unfairness in many things, but in most walks of life there is at least some way to get justice without having to appeal to the courts all the time. I admired Elliot Hilton for forcing the decision makers to allow him to go to Worlds in LA, while I admired Chrissy and Mark for staying out of the politics in a dignified way.

IMO I think that C&H hoped that lessons would be learned and that they would be treated with more respect for behaving in a respectful way. Clearly Mark feels that nothing has changed for the better.

Fairgame
06-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Excellent points. I wish they had persevered too, having come so far, but I can understand the decision to call it a day.

If your own country is going to thwart your efforts to succeed or to represent the country, then what is the point in dedicating the required amount of time, effort and money in pursuing your goals?

It's true that there is unfairness in many things, but in most walks of life there is at least some way to get justice without having to appeal to the courts all the time. I admired Elliot Hilton for forcing the decision makers to allow him to go to Worlds in LA, while I admired Chrissy and Mark for staying out of the politics in a dignified way.

IMO I think that C&H hoped that lessons would be learned and that they would be treated with more respect for behaving in a respectful way. Clearly Mark feels that nothing has changed for the better.

Very good points.....I do believe that British skating will suffer as a result of C and M turning professional. Heaven knows when the powers that be will realise the effects this will have on our results in the years to come. I just wish that they had been fairer to our 2nd and 3rd Senior dance couples and looked after them better.

Good Luck to Mark and Chrissy for the future. An elegant and dignified couple who have been very good ambassadors for Great Britain, you will be greatly missed.

mella
06-07-2010, 06:53 PM
This is a real shame. I thought they showed alot of potential and was looking forward to seeing them battle it out with some of the other "up and comers" as I hoped that the competition would be a great motivator for all the teams.

All the best to them in their future endeavours.

Asli - Great Post. So very true.

kwanfan1818
06-07-2010, 07:18 PM
I look at it from a different viewpoint:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. *

If C/H don't see a change in their environment, why should they throw good money and effort after bad? Because something might be different in the future?

Sure there's unfairness in most job or competitive environments, but I commend them for putting their effort into a place where they have more chance to control their lives.

Asli
06-07-2010, 08:52 PM
If C/H don't see a change in their environment, why should they throw good money and effort after bad? Because something might be different in the future?

They were sent to the 2010 Worlds, so I thought that showed some change and would be motivating.

mella
06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
They were sent to the 2010 Worlds, so I thought that showed some change and would be motivating.

Me too. They had done fairly well at a couple of B Internationals too and I was (probably somewhat wishfully) hoping they might sneak a GP invite. I know they weren't guaranteed one but I had my fingers crossed that our 2nd and 3rd couples would both get a shot.

I get what you say Kwanfan - I think everyone knows their limits and when enough is enough (whether disappointment, sacrifice, expense). If C/H reached that point then I wish them all the best in whatever they do next.