PDA

View Full Version : Ice Dancers Chitwood/Hanretty Retire From Competitive Skating

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

skatefriend
06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Only when it's not true, INNIT!

So if I say the same about you, I'm not being libellous as it's my honest opinion?

I will not say anything else about this - I'm just pointing out what I feel is the hypocrisy of this poster.

SHARPIE
06-09-2010, 04:53 PM
I find that when people that call me names they do so from a place of insecurity in themselves. Libel laws are a valuable thing, but in the context of a site like this I think it is over used by people that have something to hide.

Honestly people, for all those that are fed up about hearing the issues that have been discussed in this forum against the people running NISA, get ahold of yourself. You don't have to live this stuff day in day out. It doesn't have a significant impact on your life, other than perhaps being an irritation that takes up some of your time.

If you really are irritated about these points, then do something about it. If there is any truth to the allegations against the NISA Board, then find a way of removing them from their positions. Then all this rubbish will get back to more normal levels like those in other Federations.

No, I dont have to live by whatever NISA says so no, it doesnt affect me.

Also this is a skating FAN forum. I or nobody else in this forum has any obligation to find a way of removing any board member from their position and suggest so is laughable.

Basically, I am putting a TOTAL blanket ban on any discussion of NISA as an organisation on this board from now on. This doesnt mean that Im a massive fan of them either. If you want to go and discuss it, then find somewhere else, set your own board up or whatever. I dont care, just dont involve FSU.

And out of respect to Mark and Chrissy I suggest it is now kept off this thread.

Asli
06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
I wonder if Mark's decision is reversible at all? Should we sign a petition? ;)

Ziggy
06-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Shame we have lost Dance Dance Dance and Timbukto. Always felt there was much honesty and caring for the British skaters in general in their posts.

They have been posting the same stuff over and over and over again ad nauseam.

It's one thing to say "In my personal opinion..." or "I disagree with a particular decision being made..." etc.

It's quite another to accuse someone outright of foul play and breaking the regulations they are supposed to be bound by.

That's because there is something called libel. But if you post such comments here on FSU, it's the board's owner and not you that will be in trouble.

So no wonder that the admins are trying to keep a lid on it. It's not like they are censoring people for the sake of it.

If you have issues with NISA, take them to court or alert some newspapers about it - get involved in any way you want.

Just understand that if you post outright accusations here on FSU, the board's owner is going to be liable for a lawsuit.

And it's happened pretty much every time British skating has been discussed. :scream:

I would really love to be able to discuss actual British skating and not politics one day. :P

I wonder if Mark's decision is reversible at all? Should we sign a petition? ;)

Well I'd definitely like to see him back.

Maybe we should work together on getting him and Christina Azerbeijani citizenship sorted? ;)

millyskate
06-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I'm sorry to see them go. I was very, very impressed by the few programs I saw them skate, and hope they stick together for shows and get a ton of work.

Paragraph3s
06-10-2010, 11:30 AM
They have been posting the same stuff over and over and over again ad nauseam.

It's one thing to say "In my personal opinion..." or "I disagree with a particular decision being made..." etc.

It's quite another to accuse someone outright of foul play and breaking the regulations they are supposed to be bound by.

That's because there is something called libel. But if you post such comments here on FSU, it's the board's owner and not you that will be in trouble.

So no wonder that the admins are trying to keep a lid on it. It's not like they are censoring people for the sake of it.

If you have issues with NISA, take them to court or alert some newspapers about it - get involved in any way you want.

Just understand that if you post outright accusations here on FSU, the board's owner is going to be liable for a lawsuit.

And it's happened pretty much every time British skating has been discussed. :scream:

I would really love to be able to discuss actual British skating and not politics one day. :P

As I said before, I haven't got much time to labour the point, but in my opinion there are a few problems with what you are saying here. The ‘banned members’ as well as a lot of other posters have been saying similar things. Now that skaters have retired, judges resigned, skaters and coaches moved abroad, many of whom have complained about issues that continue to go wrong, why shouldn’t these issues be raised by members of the forum that care enough to debate them?

Sure, Sharpie and the other admins don’t want to be taken to court, but what kind of track record has an organisation that has been banned from discussion had in the courts? The threats of court action sound like intimidation tactics from certain people to get what they want.

Have you read the Tomlin Order? Who was it that used the word ‘sorry’? Who had their eligible statuses reinstated without prejudice to any rules in this country or internationally? And who has been agreed to be a part of redesigning the rules and regs for the sport?

I’m being very careful not to break any of the ‘new’ rules applied this week, while making an important point. Two people that have previously made points that I often agree with and know to be true have been banned, and yet another poster is allowed to make derogatory if not libellous comments about them on the grounds that he or she believes them to be true.

The thing is, this site and the people who run it risk losing credibility if they apply rules retrospectively, punish some people and not others, or ban valid complaints about one Federation and not others.

Let’s face it, as one skating fan to another, if we can’t complain about Federation decisions in a place like this, then what is the world coming to? And if any allegations are not true, then what do those who the allegations refer to have to worry about?

SHARPIE
06-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Nowhere have rules re discussion been applied 'retrospectively'. Please see the quoted post from November 2009. As noone has seemed to listen I just re enforced them a little more strongly yesterday.

And still noone listens so thread closed. Best Wishes to Chitwood/Hanretty.