PDA

View Full Version : Olympic gold medallists Sale, Pelletier divorce

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42

Norlite
07-02-2010, 08:38 PM
I think there are just as many people obsessed with celebrity in Canada as the US.

The only difference I see, and it's a very little difference, is Canadian media, which is much smaller in itself, is perhaps not as focused.

And I also think that's because our media outlets are so much smaller. Print media particulary.

Twilight1
07-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Your experience is different than mine then. None of my closest friends ever talk to me about celebs. And my parents watched the news but none of the gossip shows. People at work don't talk about celebs except when Heath Ledger died-(but one of our coworker's has the same last name so we all thought he died not Heath so we were all freaking out). We have a smaller population (10x I think?) so our media would be smaller but still based on that, other than ET Canada, I can't think of any gossip source (I am sure there are- I just can't think of them) We still have a lot of media and yet they report on other things. Our (hometown) newspaper only has one section that would contain gossip like info and I think it is a page? Not sure about that either.

Prancer
07-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Your experience is different than mine then. None of my closest friends ever talk to me about celebs. And my parents watched the news but none of the gossip shows. People at work don't talk about celebs except when Heath Ledger died.... We still have a lot of media and yet they report on other things. Our newspaper only has one section that would contain gossip like info and I think it is a page? Not sure about that either.

That would pretty much sum up my experience as well. :confused:

I think there is more celebrity gossip on FSU than all other sources of gossip in my personal life combined.

Twilight1
07-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I think there is more celebrity gossip on FSU than all other sources of gossip in my personal life combined.

God bless FSU!!! Otherwise, I would have no idea what is happening in the world because I really am in a bubble of my own making. :lol:

Norlite
07-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Your experience is different than mine then. None of my closest friends ever talk to me about celebs. And my parents watched the news but none of the gossip shows. .

No, my personal experience is not different. We don't do celeb gossip, and I have never seen ET Canada (the fact that there is one, when most the population has access the the American version should be a clue) and my newspaper doesn't have any gossip, entertainment yes, gossip, no. But I do understand just by the success in Canadian ratings of the American gossip shows that the Canadian networks run, including MM, and the amount of gossip rags in the stores both American and British, that there is a huge market here.

Twilight1
07-02-2010, 09:46 PM
I have never noticed the magazines here because they aren't something I purchase in stores or see at work... or at friends homes... or families homes and considering our TV shows/programming are purchased from the US, it makes sense we would be stuck with their gossip shows too. lol

Japanfan
07-02-2010, 11:20 PM
I think there are just as many people obsessed with celebrity in Canada as the US.

The only difference I see, and it's a very little difference, is Canadian media, which is much smaller in itself, is perhaps not as focused.

And, most Canadian celebrities move to the US.

The Observer
07-03-2010, 06:33 AM
You are wrong. There were several mentions of David's first marriage in a number of reports around the time of the 2002 Olympics (e.g. Beverly Smith's post-Olympics book in 2002, Gold on Ice, mentions it). And if you read what others have posted earlier in the thread, it is also not clear that he left his wife for Jamie - he and Jamie were skating together when his marriage broke up, but there are differing reports as to whether he and Jamie got together as a romantic couple while he was still married. So maybe the media didn't report that part of the story because (a) it wasn't verified, or (b) no one really cared that much prior to the Olympics, or (c) there were much more newsworthy parts to S&P's story, e.g. the Olympic cheating judges' scandal.

I've worked in media outlets, and I can assure you that most Canadian sports media have a lot more important things to do than to sit around and concoct coverup stories about the marriage status of professional ice skaters. There is no conspiracy. They just don't care. That is why the current breakup hasn't been covered until S&P made their formal announcement.

You're mistaken on this one. I know of at least several Canadian sports reporters who deliberately chose to cover up certain things about S&P, David's first marriage and the timing of their relationship.

It was particularly obvious during the 1999-2000 season when they were romantically involved but several sports writers claimed they weren't, even though they knew that to be false.

The sports media wanted to create a fairytale couple for Canada, and anything that didn't fit into that story was "altered" to make it fit. It's not that unusual - the media regularly alter the truth. It's been going on since the beginning of journalism.

cal
07-03-2010, 06:55 AM
I'd like to add that one of the best and most highly visited gossip blogs is from Canada:

Lainey Gossip (http://www.laineygossip.com)

Lainey is also a correspondent for e-talk on CTV, also a big Canadian-based entertainment-celeb-athlete gossip source. e-talk covers the red carpets at all the awards shows, music shows, special sports events. Lainey worked along side Jamie and David at e-talk covering the Olympics and other skating events. She is a figure skating fan and always blogs about it when she is covering skating.

I'm not saying that every Canadian follows Lainey's column or watches e-talk, just pointing out a darn good source of celeb news and gossip not previously mentioned.

cal
07-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Historically speaking, celebrity gossip has long been a part of figure skating, especially in the late 1920s through 40s when multiple Olympic champ Sonja Henie ruled as one of the biggest celebrity athletes, ice show and movie stars ever.

Lainey gossip gets a lot of good inside scoops on all sorts of famous people who visit and work in Canada, plus the many, many Canadian and British and other international stars. She doesn't repeat every American headline like Perez Hilton. She has sports, books, movies, commentary. She is very heavy on fashion - red carpet coverage. She also writes alot about her Chinese heritage and mother, and about the many books she is reading, or her impressive fitness regime. She's a kick, and an email pal of mine.

here's Lainey's bio at etalk

http://shows.ctv.ca/eTalk/Bios/Elaine-Lainey-Lui.aspx

That's it. Just wanted to be sure that Canada and Lainey got their props for contributions to the world of gossip.

Twilight1
07-03-2010, 02:25 PM
And I never even heard of her!!! :lol: I have heard of E-talk because I think it is one of the commercials I skip through for So You Think You Can Dance. :)

ChiquitaBanana
07-03-2010, 04:17 PM
The sports media wanted to create a fairytale couple for Canada, and anything that didn't fit into that story was "altered" to make it fit. It's not that unusual - the media regularly alter the truth. It's been going on since the beginning of journalism.

Maybe it is a matter of privacy, that the Canadian media wants to preserve unless the concerned person talks about it.

It's one thing not going into personale matter online, and another thing trying to create something else...

overedge
07-03-2010, 07:20 PM
You're mistaken on this one. I know of at least several Canadian sports reporters who deliberately chose to cover up certain things about S&P, David's first marriage and the timing of their relationship.

It was particularly obvious during the 1999-2000 season when they were romantically involved but several sports writers claimed they weren't, even though they knew that to be false.

A few sports writers don't represent the entire Canadian sports media, or how the entire Canadian sports media chose to cover the S&P story.

And if these particular writers knew enough about what happened when to create a cover-up, then they must have pretty amazing fact-finding powers, because not even the participants in the actual events have the same version of events.

Perky Shae Lynn
07-06-2010, 03:00 AM
A few sports writers don't represent the entire Canadian sports media, or how the entire Canadian sports media chose to cover the S&P story.

And if these particular writers knew enough about what happened when to create a cover-up, then they must have pretty amazing fact-finding powers, because not even the participants in the actual events have the same version of events.
It's really not that complicated. It was obvious that Jamie & David were in a relationship when he was still married. Anyone covering skating events could see it. Of course, nobody knows the state of Dave's first marriage at the time. But while they were the golden couple of Canadian skating, the timing of Jamie & David's courtship was glossed over by the media.

overedge
07-06-2010, 04:56 AM
It was obvious that Jamie & David were in a relationship when he was still married. Anyone covering skating events could see it.

What made it "obvious"? Reporters are supposed to report facts, and unless Jamie and David actually said, "We are in a relationship", there would be nothing to report. Saying you think they looked like they were in a relationship is not good reporting.