PDA

View Full Version : Olympic gold medallists Sale, Pelletier divorce

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42

Pratfall
07-01-2010, 07:23 PM
:confused: Well, I was always aware of David's marriage when he and Jamie became a pair and that it was fairly recent, IIRC... I don't think it's that the press covered it up so much as they just didn't make a big deal of it...But we don't have as much of a tabloid press , or certainly didn't 10 yrs. ago. Anyway , any story involving a hockey player's private life would get far more attention than one about a figure skater.( Esp. if they were currently playing..)

tabbie
07-01-2010, 07:33 PM
:confused: Well, I was always aware of David's marriage when he and Jamie became a pair and that it was fairly recent, IIRC... I don't think it's that the press covered it up so much as they just didn't make a big deal of it...But we don't have as much of a tabloid press , or certainly didn't 10 yrs. ago. Anyway , any story involving a hockey player's private life would get far more attention than one about a figure skater.( Esp. if they were currently playing..)

I agree.

kwanfan1818
07-01-2010, 07:48 PM
But this wasn't really a sports story after a few years and the "gold at SLC" was replaced by "Canada's Sweethearts", especially after B/S stopped touring with them. They married only a few months before Torino, and that got lots of media attention as the love story fantasy winter wedding. Then the kid. "Love Story" the life, not the program, has been what's sold to the audiences who buy tickets to their shows, and they've delivered professionally.

In most professionals sports, the sport is the day-to-day story. In hockey, today's game and the team's place in the standings is more important than the skandal, and today's skandal is trumped by tomorrow's game. In skating, not so much even when they are in the rink for hours and do lots of off-ice training, and especially after a skater stops competing.

overedge
07-01-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure if you have followed this story over the past 10 years like some of us have.
Yes, I have.

As a number of people pointed out earlier in this thread, the Canadian press wanted to create a fairy tale couple and so they deliberately chose to present only certain things, and hide others.

There definitely was a cover up by the Canadian sports media about a lot of the controversy surrounding Sale & Pelletier's relationship. Not just in recent years since Salt Lake City, but starting 10 years ago when David's first marriage broke up. The media did not report the fact that he left his wife for Jamie. That only appeared last month in the press when they announced their divorce. Why do you think they waited so long to report that? They didn't want it to get out earlier.

You are wrong. There were several mentions of David's first marriage in a number of reports around the time of the 2002 Olympics (e.g. Beverly Smith's post-Olympics book in 2002, Gold on Ice, mentions it). And if you read what others have posted earlier in the thread, it is also not clear that he left his wife for Jamie - he and Jamie were skating together when his marriage broke up, but there are differing reports as to whether he and Jamie got together as a romantic couple while he was still married. So maybe the media didn't report that part of the story because (a) it wasn't verified, or (b) no one really cared that much prior to the Olympics, or (c) there were much more newsworthy parts to S&P's story, e.g. the Olympic cheating judges' scandal.

I've worked in media outlets, and I can assure you that most Canadian sports media have a lot more important things to do than to sit around and concoct coverup stories about the marriage status of professional ice skaters. There is no conspiracy. They just don't care. That is why the current breakup hasn't been covered until S&P made their formal announcement.

Really
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Gotta love consipiracies...Observer, you should get yourself into PI -- there's a great thread there about conspiracies!

*Jen*
07-01-2010, 08:41 PM
There definitely was a cover up by the Canadian sports media about a lot of the controversy surrounding Sale & Pelletier's relationship. Not just in recent years since Salt Lake City, but starting 10 years ago when David's first marriage broke up. The media did not report the fact that he left his wife for Jamie. That only appeared last month in the press when they announced their divorce. Why do you think they waited so long to report that? They didn't want it to get out earlier.

I read it during the 2002 Olympics, so I don't think the Canadian media covered it up at all. Some, yes, but all, no.

MacMadame
07-02-2010, 05:49 AM
I think they glossed over it. Probably because it was hard to verify and also because it was inconvenient to the story they wanted to spin.

That's way different than a concerted conspiracy... most of what people interpret as conspiracy is usually some combination of laziness, incompetent and group think.

Japanfan
07-02-2010, 06:17 AM
I think they glossed over it. Probably because it was hard to verify and also because it was inconvenient to the story they wanted to spin.

That's way different than a concerted conspiracy... most of what people interpret as conspiracy is usually some combination of laziness, incompetent and group think.

I would hope that the media has better things to do than investigate Sale and Pelletier's past and chase down current rumors. Lloyd Eisler has drawn attention because of allegations and events that were made public and involved police/the law - the media merely reported it.

David hasn't left an unhappy pregnant woman who is eager to share her anger with the press and reveal dirty secrets about her ex. He hasn't been arrested for assault and isn't embroiled in an ugly custody case.

Scandal is no less appealing to the public than a fairytale love story and the media is usually quite ready to jump on it. Even if Jamie and David have very good PR managers, should matters between them get ugly and involve law enforcement or a messy court case, we're likely to hear about it.

Desperado
07-02-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't think the sports media cover salacious stories about any athlete. Rumors are everywhere in the towns they live in but you never see them talk about this hockey player cheating on his wife with a female sportscaster or that another slept with 13 women in a week.

The "happily married athlete" is a story everyone likes and keeps alive as long as possible no matter what happens in the people's lives. The hypocrisy often kills me but it has really nothing to do with S&P.

Just look at how long it took for the Tiger Woods story to come out, I'm pretty sure tons of reporters new of his ways but for many reasons would never discuss it in their stories.

Twilight1
07-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Canadian's as a whole don't give a rat's butt (for the most part) about gossip, private lives of it's celebrities etc to the extent of American's. That is probably why so many actors/ actresses/singers etc have homes up here. They are left alone and not hounded 24/7.

My aunt (a real estate agent) in Muskoka has assisted many celebs find homes/ summer retreats and the #1 thing they always say is they love and appreciate the peace they get up here.

I also remember reading about Sale& Pelletier...but I think it was on here that I read about it lol!!

moscow
07-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I don't think North Americans are anymore guilty of "gossip" than the media coverage in Latin America or South America... or for that matter other commonwealth countries. The UK is the ultimate gossip media meca. So please stop equating and comparing everything to the USA.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-02-2010, 07:02 PM
^^^ Thank you.

Many celebrities move to places within the U.S. to get away from the media attention as well.

ioana
07-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Many celebrities move to places within the U.S. to get away from the media attention as well.

Yup, celebrities moving to a different location is not necesarily an accurate reflection of the new country being much better in terms of dealing with celebrities in general. For exampe, a big-time soccer player moving to the US would mean they have a much lower profile just because soccer is not that popular on this side of the pond. Likewise, someone who just won American Idol could move to Canada and get a lot less attention -on the off chance the winner would want to get *away* from the attention, that is.

maggylyn
07-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Y Likewise, someone who just won American Idol could move to Canada and get a lot less attention -on the off chance the winner would want to get *away* from the attention, that is.

:rofl:

Twilight1
07-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't read gossip mags, don't really care. My friends don't either. I have never bought a gossip mag except Bop when I was 10-12 and was in love with Christian Slater and NKOTB (and even then I wanted the posters and not the columns except Alyssa Milano's skincare column)

And sorry but there is definitely a greater obsession in the US for celebs that is far greater than Canada. If it hits a nerve, I don't care. I don't care what these people ate for breakfast or didn't eat, who is too thin or not thin enough. Who is doing who and not doing who, who is divorcing who and not divorcing who.

And yes it is elsewhere, but I live next to the US and am subject to the millions of shows about the latest celeb in rehab. :lol: I don't have access to the mags that are out there from other countries. I do have the power of my remote button and DVR is my best friend. ;)