PDA

View Full Version : Olympic gold medallists Sale, Pelletier divorce

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

kwanfan1818
06-28-2010, 06:25 PM
But "dress" means different things in different places, and even in places where that meant formal, there were different dress codes for different nights. (The Metropolitan Opera was more formal on Mondays, for example.) Both Buttle and Pelletier would be "dressed" in the Pacific Northwest.

Winnipeg
06-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Seems like Sale sure takes a lot of criticism. I don't know her at all but she doesn't seem that bad?

She seemed friendly on Battle of the Blades and in various interviews.

I think her comment re Johnny was more intended that he liked to attract attention by his actions as opposed to doing the actions becuase he likes it.

I don't care one way or the other because I like Johnny too.

Everyone loves Kwan but I recall her saying a couple of things n interviews where she sorta put tara down. For example calling her a jumpnig bean and inferring there was no artistry, and saying she thinks it's better if you have to work at something rather than just win etc.

And Pleshenko always seemed very arrogant but the don't all performerss have to have some attitude?

skatingfan5
06-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Everyone loves Kwan but I recall her saying a couple of things n interviews where she sorta put tara down. For example calling her a jumpnig bean and inferring there was no artistry, and saying she thinks it's better if you have to work at something rather than just win etc. #1. Everyone loves Kwan? Surely you jest! :lol:
#2. I can unequivocally state that Kwan has never called Tara -- or any other skater, for that matter -- a jumpnig bean. ;) She has, on occasion in the past, referred to herself as a former jumping bean, though.
# 3. Whatever it was that you think Michelle said about Tara and artistry (I don't recall anything, but that's me), you would be the one doing the inferring, not MK. :shuffle:

euterpe
06-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Most 'dress' for the ballet

I've been attending the NYC ballet every year for the past 20 years. I can tell you that most people do not 'dress'. I wear slacks and a blouse, many women wear casual business attire, and men at most might wear a suit. A few very old ladies wear what might be described as cocktail attire, but I don't recall ever seeing a man in a tux.

Jenny
06-28-2010, 07:01 PM
David was obviously there as a guest of Kurt on the occasion of his wife not only starring, but being honoured for her 20 years with the company. Everybody else in Kurt's party was dressed suitably, but David was not.

If I was invited by a friend to a special evening honouring their spouse, I would have at least put on slacks and a dress shirt, if not a suit. This is why I had the sense it might have been a last minute invitation for David.

Frau Muller
06-28-2010, 07:28 PM
.....However, I did hear from a fairly reliable source that Jamie's "discomfort" with B&S was the reason why the Russians traveled on a separate bus during post-SLC SOI. ..... So whether it's true or not, who knows.

Whoa, I did not know that one but it wouldn't surprise me. Thanks, natasha.

Winnipeg
06-28-2010, 07:50 PM
I've been attending the NYC ballet every year for the past 20 years. I can tell you that most people do not 'dress'. I wear slacks and a blouse, many women wear casual business attire, and men at most might wear a suit. A few very old ladies wear what might be described as cocktail attire, but I don't recall ever seeing a man in a tux.

I agree - my thought of 'dress' is as you describe. Business Casual but no jeans, t-shirts etc. I guess I don't wear cocktail dresses often enough! :)

VIETgrlTerifa
06-28-2010, 10:07 PM
#1. Everyone loves Kwan? Surely you jest! :lol:
#2. I can unequivocally state that Kwan has never called Tara -- or any other skater, for that matter -- a jumpnig bean. ;) She has, on occasion in the past, referred to herself as a former jumping bean, though.
# 3. Whatever it was that you think Michelle said about Tara and artistry (I don't recall anything, but that's me), you would be the one doing the inferring, not MK. :shuffle:

Yeah...when has Kwan ever said anything publicly about any skater that one could construe as an obvious insult? One of the things her detractors say about her is that she's so non-controversial. I'd love to see evidence to the contrary.

Winnipeg, are you sure you aren't thinking about Kwan fans?

The Accordion
06-29-2010, 07:11 AM
Okay - I have been avoiding it - but finally went back to see the offensive ballet dress. And I am seriously confused. He is wearing what looks like a dress shirt and slacks and appears to be as dressy if not more so than Jeff. :huh:?

Prancer
06-29-2010, 07:28 AM
I think her comment re Johnny was more intended that he liked to attract attention by his actions as opposed to doing the actions becuase he likes it.

I think the term Jamie was looking for was DAW.

Only she didn't want to say that.:shuffle:

Rex
06-29-2010, 12:35 PM
OMG, it's the ballet, not a command performance before the Queen!

It's the ballet, Really; there are plenty queens to dress for ;).

danceronice
06-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Okay - I have been avoiding it - but finally went back to see the offensive ballet dress. And I am seriously confused. He is wearing what looks like a dress shirt and slacks and appears to be as dressy if not more so than Jeff. :huh:?

I went and looked. For the love of God, if it were an evening performance and a special event (though the lighting looks like broad daylight) then I would say EVERYONE in the photo is underdressed and messy. As it is, David at least has a shirt, belt, and jeans that look like they belong together, while Jeff needs to told that a suit jacket over a t-shirt STILL looks dumb, it doesn't matter who does it. And the girl on the left should NOT be carrying that bag with that dress. If we're going to nitpick, that is. Everyone looks neat and not like a bag lady and they all appear to be having a good time.

Mevrouw
06-29-2010, 02:35 PM
In Toronto, people no longer dress up for the opera or the ballet, and certainly not for theatre, unless it's an opening night.

We used to always wear long formal gowns to openings but now the companies are VERY happy to get people in the seats, no matter how they are dressed. So they were probably in the middle third of how people dress. Street clothes. And you know the range of those.

The only people in suits and ties will be sponsors and their guests, or older people in the audience. In a way, it's a shame as the people used to be part of the spectacle and the occasion.

Rosietwo
06-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Good heavens - its amazing how a discussion about David and Jamie's divorce can morph into what one is supposed to wear to the Ballet! I was there on Tuesday night and at one point was beside Jeff, David and Josie (looking quite pretty in a chiffon top) and they all looked relaxed and happy and having a great time. As group they fitted in perfectly with the rest of the audience who ranged from overdressed, classy, casual and just plain awful. The winner for the "just plain awful" award had to be one fellow in baggy shorts, over-sized T-shirt and flip-flops! I don't think Karen Kain or the National Ballet worry too much about what you wear - they just want you to buy tickets and come out to support them. It's clear some people attending for the first time think "Ballet" still equates with formal dress and elaborate hair styles - even on an ordinary work night. Unless it's a gala, like the one held a few weeks ago, or the opening night of the season (in November) when you will see more of the audience in formal dress, or at least much more "dressed-up" then usual, people generally wear what they wear to work or other theatre performances. The problem is, for me anyway, workdress can mean suit and tie or jeans and T-shirts. The way the world is now I guess. Now because no one has mentioned it yet, and we've already strayed so far off-topic anyway, let me say that Kurt's wife Sonia Rodriguez was absolutely brilliant Tuesday night. She's a wonderful,wonderful dancer and has waited a long time to get this role - believe me she made the most of it. In the final scene she was so dramatic and passionate she left the audience as limp as a wrung out dishcloth! I've been a passionate ballet fan for over 50 years and this performance has to one of my top 10 right now. OK - now back to the original topic....David and Jamie's troubles.

Winnipeg
06-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Rosietwo - lucky you, I would have loved to see that ballet!

I wonder if Kurt and Sonia's kids will be dancers or skaters?

WRT Jamie and David, I wonder who will be on the fall Battle of the Blades show this September?