PDA

View Full Version : Olympic gold medallists Sale, Pelletier divorce

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

overedge
06-27-2010, 07:17 PM
By the way, wasn't Jamie Sale the SOI skater who was most vocal in mouthing-out against Johnny Weir & how he did not represent proper 'family values'? So Sale/Pelletier represent the perfect family values now? Yeah, right... :)

She was? I don't remember any of the SOI skaters speaking on the issue, just SOI management issuing press releases and statements. And I think it has been pretty well established that SOI explicitly denied saying anything about Weir not representing "family values".

orbitz
06-27-2010, 07:24 PM
OMG, it's the ballet, not a command performance before the Queen!

Exactly. I would think ballet companies want to attract as broad an audience as possible. If men have to be stuffed into black tuxes everytime they attend a ballet then the majority of them won't go. I don't see anything wrong with jeans and casuals to attend a ballet. You'll be in the dark anyway.

The Observer
06-27-2010, 09:13 PM
She was? I don't remember any of the SOI skaters speaking on the issue, just SOI management issuing press releases and statements. And I think it has been pretty well established that SOI explicitly denied saying anything about Weir not representing "family values".

She did make some critical remarks about Johnny Weir's behaviour in an interview (I think on TSN) a few months ago in which she said she thought he was too outlandish or something like that.

Natasha Miller
06-27-2010, 10:24 PM
There was a long thread on FSU re: Jamie's comments about JW. As a commentator she is entitled to her opinions. But I doubt that Jamie's dislike of Johnny would have any impact on SOI hirings. However, I did hear from a fairly reliable source that Jamie's "discomfort" with B&S was the reason why the Russians traveled on a separate bus during post-SLC SOI. Berezhnaya described the situation in one of her print interviews (separate bus, no interaction off the ice with the NA skaters, etc.) but didn't mention why. So whether it's true or not, who knows.

euterpe
06-27-2010, 11:03 PM
By the way, wasn't Jamie Sale the SOI skater who was most vocal in mouthing-out against Johnny Weir & how he did not represent proper 'family values'?

I remember that. Sale came across as a homophobic shrew.

stjeaskategym
06-28-2010, 03:30 AM
However, I did hear from a fairly reliable source that Jamie's "discomfort" with B&S was the reason why the Russians traveled on a separate bus during post-SLC SOI. Berezhnaya described the situation in one of her print interviews (separate bus, no interaction off the ice with the NA skaters, etc.) but didn't mention why. So whether it's true or not, who knows.

:rofl: There was always going to be some awkwardness between S&P and B&S given the situation (and the language barrier), but this is too much. And I'm not that surprised. I often got the impression that Jamie didn't really respect B&S much and was annoyed by them. And when Sikharulidze collided with her in the warmup, that was the probably the final straw. :lol:

overedge
06-28-2010, 05:46 AM
She did make some critical remarks about Johnny Weir's behaviour in an interview (I think on TSN) a few months ago in which she said she thought he was too outlandish or something like that.

Calling someone outlandish is not the same as saying they don't represent good family values. Does anyone have an exact quote?

MacMadame
06-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Calling someone outlandish is not the same as saying they don't represent good family values. Does anyone have an exact quote?

It was some other word that started with "o" and is often code for "gay". But now that I'm typing this message it's flown out of my head. :lol:

overedge
06-28-2010, 07:06 AM
This was posted on icenetwork, from an interview she did with the 24 Hrs. newspaper back in March.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, um, I think just with Johnny alone just likes to makes stories, and when he acts the way he acts he knows he's going to make television and magazines, he knows he's going to make it into those things, and um... personally, I just don't really appreciate the other 'fluff' that he does. I think that um, thats just again my opinion. I just wish he could just be the athlete that an, and, make a good representation for men's figure skating because they're taking a hit enough as it is. And to be talking, wearing feathers and floofy stuff and then acting the way he acts.
And ya know wearing Rus, only Russian jackets and like he, he's American, like be proud to be an American, er there's nothing wrong with liking Russians but I mean its like he's anti-American when he's representing the U.S. I'm going, 'wha-what are you doing'?!!

So it's not the most articulate statement in the world, but I don't see anything in here saying he shouldn't be in SOI because he doesn't represent family values. Did she say something more along those lines in another source?

DickButtonFan
06-28-2010, 07:07 AM
I think she said over the top. There's a video of her discussing him somewhere.

Mevrouw
06-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Or outrageous.

DickButtonFan
06-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Here's the video I guess she didn't say over the top:
http://video.vancouver.24hrs.ca/archive/jamie-sales-not-so-safe-take-on-johnny-weir/71245328001

Asli
06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
So it's not the most articulate statement in the world...

That's the understatement of the year. Does Salé always talk like that? :rofl:

danceronice
06-28-2010, 01:59 PM
That's the understatement of the year. Does Salé always talk like that? :rofl:

Most people do and in written quotes are hyper-edited. Listen to most celebrities talk when they're not very carefuly prepped.

And yeah, I don't see in there that he has "bad family values", just that she thinks he's presenting an image that's off-putting to a lot of people. Not just costumes, but also the wanting to out-Russian the Russians. (Though she doesn't mention his almost supernatural, Kwan-like ability to make threads not about him about him! Now, THAT is a rare quality in a skater...)

Winnipeg
06-28-2010, 06:22 PM
OMG, it's the ballet, not a command performance before the Queen!

Most 'dress' for the ballet