PDA

View Full Version : Olympic gold medallists Sale, Pelletier divorce

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

The Observer
06-19-2010, 03:55 AM
I can understand why one would call Hamilton annoying - his over the top gushing commentary is enough to make even the sanest person want to up chuck.

However, I can't understand why you would think that of Sale and Pelletier - what do they do that makes them annoying?

I think people are saying that they have sometimes displayed an arrogance and sense of entitlement over the years, particularly Jamie in her comments at the 2002 Olympics and in the time period afterward when she said "everyone in the world knew we were the best".

Japanfan
06-19-2010, 07:47 AM
However, I can't understand why you would think that of Sale and Pelletier - what do they do that makes them annoying?

I gather you haven't followed the various threads in recent years that have discussed Sale and Pelletier?

Some posters have made getting a hate-on for Sale a hobby. The picture painted of her is of a constant whiner who robbed the rightful 2002 Olympic medalists . . .some go so far as to imply that she herself was responsible for the scandal/second medal somehow.

I find it quite bizarre. I haven't experienced hate for any skater, though there are many I don't like. Hate is a really strong emotion that consumes a ton of energy and I guess some people have so much of it that they need to find a target.

If she said "everyone knew we won the gold" it is understandable that she would have believed that to be true in the moment. And her disappointment at the silver is also understandable.

But it's not as if she went on a campaign to denounce B&S after the event. . .I didn't see spite or malice, which might account for the harsh sentiments exhibited on this board. Both pairs pretty much put the scandal behind them after the Olympics and moved on.

Perky Shae Lynn
06-19-2010, 02:00 PM
People develop reputations based on many things. TV interviews are just the tip of the iceberg. Jamie's reputation as an arrogant, self-centered woman who doesn't concern herself with other people's feelings, was earned over a decade. When you behave a certain way toward fellow skaters, TV crews, rink employees, event organizers and your husband (as well as other people's husbands - flirting so openly it makes people uncomfortable) - PEOPLE TALK. Skating world is very small. Nothing remains hidden. You won't hear a bad word about Kristi and Michelle because there is nothing bad to say about them. Don't blame the messengers in this case ;)

ildah
06-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Hmm. Interesting. I'm seeing a bit of truth in this I have to admit. I think Jamie made the decision to go after Craig Simpson as a fallback, and when it worked she was willing to let her marriage go. I'm not saying they didn't probably have a painful, rough year over their marital problems just like the rest of us have experienced at one time or another, but keeping in mind your observations, the battle of the blades win probably fed her ego tremendously. There's nothing wrong with that, we all have egos and would be lying if we said it doesn't feel good when we get attention.

The Edmonton Journal guy who is a big fan of theirs for many years said that friends noticed around Christmas and afterwards they were like their old selves and really a couple again but then things changed for the final time. I actually don't think they had an affair during battle of the blades (my opinion based on nothing) although the groundwork was laid. At the beginning of January they were all going to that big charity dinner in Toronto, as well as Craig of course, and Jamie talked about her and David going. You don't do either of those things if you are trying to separate yourself from your spouse and not be seen together or talked about together as a pair. Then suddenly David wasn't going and my bet is the deal was sealed in Toronto when both she and Simpson were in town alone. Probably had started but was really cemented.

Good luck Craig with three angry teenagers who are most likely hurt and protective of their mother and a toddler to boot. i don't believe the pregnancy bit but if it's true, poor Craig. Actually I don't feel sorry for him. Didn't he used to have a wonderful reputation in the community?

maggylyn
06-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Interesting.

At the beginning of this thread, David is with Tessa and he's a jerk and it seems people were feeling sorry for Jamie.

Now Jamie is the jerk and David isn't anymore?

Or they're both still... you know.

:P

Japanfan
06-19-2010, 10:26 PM
I think Jamie made the decision to go after Craig Simpson as a fallback, and when it worked she was willing to let her marriage go.

If they have been broken up for 18 months, the break up would have occurred prior to the Battle of the Blades competition.

AxelAnnie
06-19-2010, 10:31 PM
It makes me really sad. (Excepting Abuse, Alcoholism or Addiction) the grass is never gonna stay greener on the other side. There is so much to be lost, and so much to be gained by honoring your vows. I think if women kept their mouths closed, and men kept their pants zipped, we would have a lot more families sticking together.

enigma
06-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Jamie may have been separated at the time of their alleged affair, but if the rumours are true Craig was very much married. Jamie was very much aware of that fact and apparently could care less. It seems like such an utterly miserable existence for all of them. Jamie goes after Craig to get back at her ex, and what does she get? A cheater with 3 very angry kids. Wow, there's a prize.

Norlite
06-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Why are we discussing Craig's kids? Have they made some kind of statements?

i love to skate
06-19-2010, 11:15 PM
It makes me really sad. (Excepting Abuse, Alcoholism or Addiction) the grass is never gonna stay greener on the other side. There is so much to be lost, and so much to be gained by honoring your vows. I think if women kept their mouths closed, and men kept their pants zipped, we would have a lot more families sticking together.

In most cases, there are underlying issues in a marriage that cause men and women to cheat and I don't think that keeping your mouth closed helps the situation at all. If you just ignore a problem and do not acknowledge it, the issue is just going to snowball out of control. Then other emotions such as resentment start to be brought to the surface, which is pretty much a disaster waiting to happen. If partners discuss what is going on in their relationship and raise issues toward each other, this creates a much healthier marriage, IMO.

There are also some people who simply should not have gotten married for reasons of unresolved issues, being in different places, wanting different things, etc, but did so anyways. People marry for the "wrong reasons" all the time and this often ends in divorce.

From reading some of the stories, articles, and rumors, I am thinking that Jamie and David fall into this category. Perhaps they got caught up in the "fairy tale" that was portrayed in the media and forgot to take the time needed to do maintenance on their marriage. I really can't believe some of the rumors though...:eek:

Kasey
06-20-2010, 12:50 AM

Wow, you know, you can come out of the '50's, it won't harm you! ;)

Actually, there are other "exceptions" to breaking up a marriage (not to cheating during one, but to divorce). One of them could be you just flat out married the wrong person, and the grass is MUCH greener when you meet the right one.

That said, Jamie and David are both obnoxious, offensive tools.

Japanfan
06-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Jamie may have been separated at the time of their alleged affair, but if the rumours are true Craig was very much married. Jamie was very much aware of that fact and apparently could care less. It seems like such an utterly miserable existence for all of them. Jamie goes after Craig to get back at her ex, and what does she get? A cheater with 3 very angry kids. Wow, there's a prize.

But he was the married one and if the rumors are true, he obviously cared less. You can't put all the blame for this on Jamie - Craig is accountable as a married man with a family.

In my mind, if this rumor is true, both Jamie and Craig acted stupidly and without my class, as persons in the public eye.

But class does not seem to be a cherished value in the world of celebrity.

enigma
06-20-2010, 01:38 AM
But he was the married one and if the rumors are true, he obviously cared less. You can't put all the blame for this on Jamie - Craig is accountable as a married man with a family.

In my mind, if this rumor is true, both Jamie and Craig acted stupidly and without my class, as persons in the public eye.

But class does not seem to be a cherished value in the world of celebrity.

Who isn't putting any blame on Craig??? He left his wife and 3 kids for a sleezy affair. There is no way he is blameless. seriously, what on the world would make you think anyone would think he would be?:confused:

maggylyn
06-20-2010, 01:42 AM
I think if women kept their mouths closed, and men kept their pants zipped, we would have a lot more families sticking together.

:rolleyes:

There are so many underlying causes of divorce/infidelity. Pretending they're not there doesn't solve anything.

And women keeping their mouths closed? You're kidding, right?

Wyliefan
06-20-2010, 01:53 AM
Wow, you know, you can come out of the '50's, it won't harm you! ;)

Actually, there are other "exceptions" to breaking up a marriage (not to cheating during one, but to divorce). One of them could be you just flat out married the wrong person, and the grass is MUCH greener when you meet the right one.

That said, Jamie and David are both obnoxious, offensive tools.

Um, how is advocating for strong marriages being in the '50s? :confused: As for women keeping their mouths closed, I thought it was simply a reference to how nearly everyone in this thread keeps griping about Jamie saying obnoxious things.