PDA

View Full Version : Olympic gold medallists Sale, Pelletier divorce

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Prancer
06-16-2010, 01:12 AM
Interesting...I heard stats saying the contrary. :confused:

There are some that do and some that don't. But much depends on how they define "infidelity." For example, some look at infidelity in all relationships, not just marriage, and some include emotional cheating as well as physical. And all such studies depend on people being honest, which they sometimes aren't.

But detailed analysis of the data from 1991 to 2006, to be presented next month by Dr. Atkins at the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies conference in Orlando, show some surprising shifts. University of Washington researchers have found that the lifetime rate of infidelity for men over 60 increased to 28 percent in 2006, up from 20 percent in 1991. For women over 60, the increase is more striking: to 15 percent, up from 5 percent in 1991.

The researchers also see big changes in relatively new marriages. About 20 percent of men and 15 percent of women under 35 say they have ever been unfaithful, up from about 15 and 12 percent respectively.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/health/28well.html

Survey takers guessed that twice as many people are having extramarital affairs as really are, estimating that 44 percent of married men and 36 percent of married women are unfaithful. The reality is it's not as rampant as we think, with 28 percent of married men and 18 percent of married women admitting to having a sexual liaison, the survey found.

"We think everybody is out there doing it," says Janet Lever, a sociologist at California State University, Los Angeles, and the study's lead researcher. "Well, they're not."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17951664/ns/health-sexual_health/

The Observer
06-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Last I heard, Jamie was complaining backstage that she was, um, feeling deprived and, um, frustrated, so I would be really :eek: if she's pregnant.

But :watch:.

Why on earth would someone reveal something like that for all to hear? :confused:

TalentedButHumble
06-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Because even if the comment is true, it sides like the kind of thing she would've been kidding about with her friends on the tour. Not something she intended for every idiot on FSU to hear. :P

Rex
06-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Interesting...I heard stats saying the contrary. :confused:

Same here

NEVER.ARGUE.WITH.PRANCER.

Just don't do it. She will mop up the floor with you.

overedge
06-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Today's Globe and Mail has a story on how Canadian Olympic gold medalists are cashing in on their fame...most aren't doing as well as you might expect....and Virtue and Moir are among the winners mentioned. The story notes that Pelletier "is acting as a mentor to the pair".

quebecoise
06-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Today's Globe and Mail has a story on how Canadian Olympic gold medalists are cashing in on their fame...most aren't doing as well as you might expect....and Virtue and Moir are among the winners mentioned. The story notes that Pelletier "is acting as a mentor to the pair".

Thanks for letting us know! Here's the link for those who want to read it:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/canadas-olympic-heroes-not-cashing-in/article1605768/

Perky Shae Lynn
06-16-2010, 08:05 PM
When the is no controversy, no drama, no manufactured "love story", no evil Russians to contend with - general public do not seem to care. The Olympics have become nothing but a semi-scripted reality show. V&M with their beautiful drama-free knockout victory at the Olympics, aren't getting nearly the exposure S&P got because of their (fake) SKANDAL. Our gentle Canadian hearts bled for poor Jamie; we just had to dish our hard-earned $$$ on the products she endorsed. :scream:

Twilight1
06-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Do those stats include the increase in workplace emotional infidelity which is on the rise or the increase in online cheating that is also on the rise? That is the problem with stats on infidelity nowadays, so many people I know are having emotional affairs on their spouses but because no `sex` is involved...it goes unchecked but has the same if not more devastating implications than a simple one night stand. (I use simple loosely...)

VIETgrlTerifa
06-16-2010, 08:35 PM
I agree. The problem with the workplace is that the truth is, sometimes you see your co-workers more often on a consistent basis than you see your loved ones.
Especially if you are working in shifts. In that case, you have to adapt your "real life" to your work one.

Prancer
06-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Because even if the comment is true, it sides like the kind of thing she would've been kidding about with her friends on the tour. Not something she intended for every idiot on FSU to hear. :P

Let's see, Jaime said it nice and loud in front of a lot of people backstage and the conversation continued in front of those people beyond that one comment.

But yeah, the people who heard it are the idiots.

That is the problem with stats on infidelity nowadays, so many people I know are having emotional affairs on their spouses but because no `sex` is involved...it goes unchecked

Yes, but since some people do consider that infidelity and others do not, and the term "emotional affair" means different things to different people, the stats on that are really unreliable.

If no sex is involved, where would you draw the line between a close friendship and an "emotional affair?"

OliviaPug
06-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Let's see, Jaime said it nice and loud in front of a lot of people backstage and the conversation continued in front of those people beyond that one comment.

BUt yeah, the people who heard it are the idiots.

Yes, but since some people do consider that infidelity and others do not, and the term "emotional affair" means different things to different people, the stats on that are really unreliable.

If no sex is involved, where would you draw the line between a close friendship and an "emotional affair?"

True.

For myself, before I do something, I ask myself if I would have any trouble with my husband watching my actions, listening to my conversations, or reading my emails/texts. If the answer is "yes," I consider it unfaithful (with or without sex) and don't go ahead with it ... but that's just me. I suspect sex is the bright line for most people.

O-

Twilight1
06-16-2010, 10:29 PM

Emotionally and mentally straying from a marriage may be seen differently than sexually straying but the couples that break up and or go to counselling etc can still be measured in how the impact is there.

Ie Facebook is the perfect outlet to emotionally and mentally stray on a marriage. If you are hiding what you are doing on facebook, hiding messages or deleting them, meeting someone for a work `lunch` but keeping it from your spouse, text messaging someone and hiding it from your spouse, talking about your problems with your spouse, that is cheating. That isn`t a close friendship IMHO and I don`t get the confusion around emotional cheating.

Prancer
06-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Ie Facebook is the perfect outlet to emotionally and mentally stray on a marriage. If you are hiding what you are doing on facebook, hiding messages or deleting them, meeting someone for a work `lunch` but keeping it from your spouse, text messaging someone and hiding it from your spouse, talking about your problems with your spouse, that is cheating. That isn`t a close friendship IMHO and I don`t get the confusion around emotional cheating.

Well, no, that's a very specific set of behaviors, but my understanding is that emotional affairs start as friendships and develop from there, so at some point, they cross a particular line. Now where that line is exactly......hard to say. And so I would find any statistics on that subject suspect unless there was a clear definition of what constituted an emotional affair set for the the particular study doing the measuring.

For example, here is a list of what constitutes emotional cheating from one psychologist:

•Flirting "harmlessly" with people of the opposite sex.
•Having lunch or drinks after work with members of the opposite sex.
•Discussing your work problems thoroughly at work, leaving nothing to talk about with your spouse.
•Sharing jokes and gossip with colleagues or friends of the opposite sex, not with your partner.
•Spending as much time buying the right gift for a colleague of the opposite sex as you do for your spouse.
•Sharing intimate issues with people other than your partner.

Read more at Suite101: How Emotional Cheating Starts: 6 Common Mistakes That Lead to Lack of Intimacy & Infidelity http://psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_emotional_cheating_starts#ixzz0r3R3dAOD

My husband and I both do or have done all the highlighted ones, but I have never considered either one of us to be engaged in an emotional affair because of them. In fact, some of them seem a bit bizarre to me.

Twilight1
06-16-2010, 10:58 PM
The key is as OliviaPug outlined, if you think that your spouse would be hurt by your actions and you do it anyway (aka a lot of what you mentioned could upset a spouse) that can be considered emotional cheating. If you continuously flirt, have lunch, dinner, drinks, discuss work problems, share jokes, buy gifts for and share intimate issues with someone other than your spouse with your special friend then it is emotionally cheating. If both partners are fine with all of the above, fine. But some partners can be extremely hurt by those actions and just because one couple thinks it is no big thing...does not mean it is for all.

The Observer
06-16-2010, 11:41 PM

Seems like something that one would normally chat about privately with friends over coffee or drinks, rather than talking about it in front of everyone, particularly when you are trying to keep your divorce on the hush-hush.

But then Jamie Sale has never been known for being very tactful (eg. "The whole world knew we were the best"), so I guess it's not surprising that she tends to blurt out whatever comes into her head.