PDA

View Full Version : Olympic gold medallists Sale, Pelletier divorce

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

smurfy
06-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Why aren't Elena and Steven married given they've been together for several years now and have two children together? Presumably doing so would benefit both vis-a-vis their emigration status in the other's country.

I believe this is none of our business.

Muffin
06-10-2010, 02:45 AM
Bechke & Petrov continued to skate together for years after their divorce. However, they did not have a child, so that must have been 'easy' by comparison. Actually their skating improved after the divorce, and they remained good friends.
Valova-Vasiliev also continued to skate together after their divorce, AFAIK.
Neither of those marriages were very passionate to begin with. Vasiliev said flat-out that their marriage was basically one of convenience because things would be so much better for them in the Soviet Union if they were married. (For example, they would be able to get a small apartment.) He said a lot of those married Soviet pairs skaters were not really in love.

And Bechke said they hoped getting married would make their skating better and more romantic, and that it didn't work.

kwanfan1818
06-10-2010, 05:53 AM
The "get married for an apartment" was common among ballet dancers in the Soviet Union as well.

IneZR
06-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Why aren't Elena and Steven married given they've been together for several years now and have two children together? Presumably doing so would benefit both vis-a-vis their emigration status in the other's country.

I believe that they are married. They had a small wedding, with no guests - only the two of them and parents + kids. Last winter there were reports on that in Russian media.

Rex
06-10-2010, 03:27 PM
I believe this is none of our business.

Why not? She wasn't asking what they did in bed....it was a totally innocent question. :shuffle:

I guess pickings are pretty slim on the tour :shuffle:. :rofl: Poor Sasha...she shouldn't have snubbed Shaun White like she did ;).

So if David is the Canadian Morozov...does that make Tessa the Canadian Pasha????

No, just Shae Lynn 2.

smurfy
06-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Why not? She wasn't asking what they did in bed....it was a totally innocent question. :shuffle:

In my opinion, the question seemed judgemental, not innocent.
Whether a couple marries or not, to me, is personal.
Unless someone is doing something illegal, it is none of our business.

Rex
06-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Um, you are the one who sounds judgmental, not civic. I saw her question more as one about their respective citizenship. One could argue that the Sale/Pelletier issue is none of our business either, or any other things that the skaters do on or off ice for that matter, but we, yourself included, talk about them too. Get off your high horse.

briancoogaert
06-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Gimme back my Gold medal ! HA !

Frau Muller
06-10-2010, 09:50 PM
The "get married for an apartment" was common among ballet dancers in the Soviet Union as well.

And for ALL professions. Scientists in the same institute, teachers in the same schools, policemen and policewomen in the same precinct, etc. It was the easiest way for single, working adults to finally leave the nest and not have to live with parents, siblings, & grandparents. Love was usually just a "bonus," if it ever developed.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
06-11-2010, 01:41 AM
Um, you are the one who sounds judgmental, not civic. I saw her question more as one about their respective citizenship. One could argue that the Sale/Pelletier issue is none of our business either, or any other things that the skaters do on or off ice for that matter, but we, yourself included, talk about them too. Get off your high horse.

:respec: Rex.

And this thread is like the Energizer Bunny..... :watch:

princesssnake
06-11-2010, 04:20 AM
I don't believe your right about Tessa, your mixing her up with her older sister who is 'friends' with David. If you look at their pictures they do look a like.

Prancer
06-11-2010, 05:11 AM
I don't believe your right about Tessa, your mixing her up with her older sister who is 'friends' with David. If you look at their pictures they do look a like.

Or is it that Tessa is the one who looks like her older sister and is "friends" with David?

:sekret:

shan
06-11-2010, 05:30 AM
Or is it that Tessa is the one who looks like her older sister and is "friends" with David?

:sekret:

:rofl:

The Observer
06-11-2010, 09:09 AM

I disagree that the issue of whether a couple marries or not is totally personal. It is actually a matter of public and academic interest and study.

I work in family research and universities and governments are always studying and compiling information on marriages, divorces and other relationship forms because it is valuable public knowledge.

In recent years we have seen a huge increase in the amount of couples who move in together without getting married and who have children outside of marriage. Many studies and statistics show that it is often not a good idea to live together before marriage or have children outside of marriage because it is a less stable relationship. For example, a lot of young couples of today's generation aren't aware that living together before marriage often increases your risk of splitting up.

Governments and universities publish these studies so that the public will have the benefit of learning from them and so that public policy can be influenced by them.

I think it's a normal question to wonder why a couple are living together and are not married or why they have children and are not married. I ask it every day in my research field.

Now obviously it would be rude to go around asking it to complete strangers out of the blue, but there is nothing wrong with wondering about it or having a discussion about it.

Japanfan
06-11-2010, 11:34 AM
In recent years we have seen a huge increase in the amount of couples who move in together without getting married and who have children outside of marriage. Many studies and statistics show that it is often not a good idea to live together before marriage or have children outside of marriage because it is a less stable relationship. For example, a lot of young couples of today's generation aren't aware that living together before marriage often increases your risk of splitting up.

Historically, such stable relationships are created through arranged marriages in which love is not required (but will hopefully/maybe be attained) or marriages in which the woman is clearly the subordinate. Whether this is a worse or better scenario for a child is debatable, but the situation can't really be compared to a marriage in which both partners are seeking agency, autonomy and personal fulfillment.

IMO humans are not by nature or by biology monogamous for life. A couple may stay together because they are supposed to or because they choose to or because of the kids, but that doesn't always work out in the long run.