PDA

View Full Version : Olympic gold medallists Sale, Pelletier divorce

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Anita18
06-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Exactly. It's not the divorce itself that causes the child to suffer, it's the way the divorced parents react to the divorce. My parents got divorced and wouldn't even speak to each other, and that was very painful for me. In contrast, I married a divorced man and his arrangement with his ex was completely different. They talk every day, they attend the kids' functions together, etc., and they take turns staying with the kids at their house (the mom's primary residence) rather than shuffling the kids back and forth between two homes. The kids are very well-adjusted and happy as a result.

In contrast, before their divorce, they lived in separate bedrooms and were either avoiding each other or screaming at each other at any given time. Had they stayed together, the kids would have been constantly in the crossfire and would have never had an example of a healthy, happy marriage (which they now do, since both parents have harmonious relationships with their new partners). We may not know if that example will shape how they conduct their own relationships in the future, but at least they have seen first hand that it is *possible* for people to be happily married, not just pretending in public. Had their parents stayed together, they would not have had a chance to see that possibility.
Sounds like a great arrangement. Good for all of you for making that happen. :)

My bf is a child of divorced parents, and he's had to move between households when he was a kid, but all they get along very nicely now. Even I was surprised when his stepdad bugged him about paying his auto insurance bill just like my dad would do. :lol:

I met them all at Thanksgiving and there was no animosity whatsover. His biological dad's even helping out with caring for his ex-wife's father. The most my bf's ever complained about his childhood was his mom being a paranoid helicopter parent. :lol:

Vash01
06-08-2010, 07:22 AM
That's too bad, especially with a child involved. :(

Interesting that they're going to continue to skate together. Imagine what that has to be like.

Bechke & Petrov continued to skate together for years after their divorce. However, they did not have a child, so that must have been 'easy' by comparison. Actually their skating improved after the divorce, and they remained good friends.

Valova-Vasiliev also continued to skate together after their divorce, AFAIK.

Debbie S
06-08-2010, 02:24 PM
In contrast, I married a divorced man and his arrangement with his ex was completely different. They talk every day, they attend the kids' functions together, etc., and they take turns staying with the kids at their house (the mom's primary residence) rather than shuffling the kids back and forth between two homes. The parents of a kid I skate with are getting divorced (not final yet - they're still separated) and they are trying that arrangement, but it seems like it would be difficult to do if the parents are remarried. Do the new spouses live apart for half the week while the parent stays at the kids' house? :confused:

ildah
06-08-2010, 08:03 PM
That means that the 18 month separation story covers the entire year of 2009 including the time during Battle of the Blades.

jmills
06-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I thought that Todd was with Richard Callaghan??

The Observer
06-09-2010, 06:27 AM
That means that the 18 month separation story covers the entire year of 2009 including the time during Battle of the Blades.

I wonder what the significance of revealing it in June 2010 is?

RD
06-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Nothing, perhaps? Just waiting for the Oly season and hype to die down, maybe?

cem
06-09-2010, 02:05 PM

My guess is that they filed for divorce and probably wanted to reveal it before the press found out.

sk8tingfan30
06-09-2010, 08:37 PM
I am so sad. I totally bought in to the fairytale. I still don't want to believe it. I wish them both well and I'm happy that they are continuing to skate together.

Civic
06-09-2010, 10:08 PM
I can't think of any that are as long term as the Protopopovs ... maybe, Moskvina and her husband? Are Punsalan and Swallow still married?

Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomorenko
Natalia Linishuk and Gennady Karponosov

Mevrouw
06-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Lloyd Eisler's 4th partner was Isabelle Brasseur with whom he won Worlds.

Civic
06-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Why aren't Elena and Steven married given they've been together for several years now and have two children together? Presumably doing so would benefit both vis-a-vis their emigration status in the other's country.

Edited to add: Never mind. Further down in this thread I read that they are married.

Anton is the head of the Duma's Sports Committee. He's pretty high-profile in Russia - a promising politician at the moment. He was expected to challenge Alexander Gorshkov for the head of RFSF. Gorshkov was just elected. Lots of DRAMAS going on, but that's a story for a different thread.

If Steven left Russia, that would be a fairly recent development. He was definitely living in St.Pete after Elena gave birth to their second child; Steven mom was there for a while too, helping with the baby. But you never know. It'd be a shame if they spit. For all the oddities of it, their relationship appeared to me as a very genuine one.

Missflick - supposedly, Steven & Kristina were separated for month when E & S got together. But with all the overlapping marriage/separation/divorce/new relationship patterns that are so prevalent in the skating community, the truth is only known to the participants.

Civic
06-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Truer words were never spoken! Good god! Poor Sasha...
I've always had a soft spot for Todd. You all stop dissing him.

Octoberopals
06-10-2010, 12:07 AM
All "PROFESSIONAL SKATERS, ACTORS, SPORTS FIGURES & anyone else" I may have left out are doing what they do to perform for the audience; therefore they must radiate some happiness & a show of unity. S/P will continue to skate to receive more $$$$. After all, it is 'just a job' for these folks although slightly different from an 8-5 office job for example.

If one reviews the Olympic skate of V/M, one would think they were deeply in love......alas not true, but really good acting & skating on their part.

When I first saw the title of this thread, it made my stomach flip over with sickness. All seeminly 'fairy tales of romance' do NOT have a happy ending.:(

RD
06-10-2010, 12:11 AM
^ Perpetuated by the press.

Is there EVER a "fairy-tale romance"? I mean in RL, not in movies or books or whatnot. Just no way to know what's going on behind closed doors, but if the relationship is unhealthy enough, it will get out sooner or later.