PDA

View Full Version : Olympic gold medallists Sale, Pelletier divorce

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

sap5
06-07-2010, 01:39 PM
I'll add that my one experience of divorce was so devastating that I'm not sure I could survive another. So I can't really fathom how David and Jamie can continue to skate together and touch each other. It makes me wonder whether their husband and wife union was in fact purely superficial.

If even one party was wounded in the divorce it should be difficult for that one to skate with the other - seems emotionally logical. 18 months is not a long a time and if a person is working to attain closure on a relationship that ended, the physical and emotional contact required by pairs skating could make that really difficult.

Though perhaps being part of the exclusive club of wealthy and beautiful people makes breaking up easier than it is for us 'average' people.

Or perhaps when one's livelihood depends on the other person, people learn to suck it up no matter how hard it is. I would think divorce is just as hard for them as it is for anyone else. Unfortunately for them, their livelihood depends on their partnership. Sure, they could perhaps start solo careers, but will they be as marketable? What if they looked into that, and realized that they could better give Jesse the money and opportunities he deserves if they skated together, rather than apart?

Prancer
06-07-2010, 02:08 PM
But why pronounce 'till death do us part'? Are Jamie and David, and others like them, really so naive as to believe it when they pronounce it - believe they'll beat the odds?

Of course. And why not? Someone has to, or there wouldn't be odds to begin with.

And really, would it matter? Breaking up isn't necessarily any easier than a divorce; you only get to just pack up and walk away if your lives aren't intertwined. If you have a child together, money together, property together--you still have to work out custody and visitation and divide up all your goods and figure out who gets which furniture and who gets what bills. Being married can actually be an advantage there, depending on the laws where you live, just as it can be a disadvantage, especially for the person who has the most economic power in the relationship. If my husband and I weren't married and split at this point, I guarantee you we'd end up in court anyway.

Fashionista
06-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeah I was... :shuffle: Mind you, if you can't see that it was a joke then all I have to say is :rolleyes:
Haha, in the end I look like a jerk:D
English is not my native language so sometimes I may misinterpret the meanings.
Peace.

Twilight1
06-07-2010, 04:52 PM
And as for the statements that divorce is so common so it's not that big of a deal, it happens all the time, blah blah blah. Disagree once again. Put your kid first and think about their future. Do everything you can, get counceling, stop acting like a child and stop fighting. Have some morality. Think of the financial burdens divorces puts on a child, the court dates, the child support disputes, making the kid see mom or dad's new spouse or gf/bf, the drama goes on and on even if you are divorced. There's an unstability that occurs when you have to visit one family one weekend and another the other weekend. Then some have to choose even when over 18 whether or not to spend hollidays with one parent or the other. Divorce stays with a child even into adulthood. Basically don't have a child if you can't handel it like an adult.

Coming from someone who's parents' never should have married in the first place (and yes I know that means I wouldn't be here if they hadn't), I completely and wholeheartedly disagree. My parents stayed together for years. Were utterly miserable, grew bitter and jaded and caused my sister and I many years of shytty relationships before we found our respective spouses and worked through our our own issues. And even then, the fear of commitment was HUGE! I would have preferred my parents got divorced as a kid, so then they maybe would have moved on to happier healthier times and my sister and I would have seen that. The whole stay together for the kids thing is worse IMHO. Break up, amicably, and be there for your kids.

I wish David and Jamie happiness in their own separate lives. They were destined to be together for the time they were and now I wish them luck as they move forward.

Ajax
06-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Coming from someone who's parents' never should have married in the first place (and yes I know that means I wouldn't be here if they hadn't), I completely and wholeheartedly disagree. My parents stayed together for years. Were utterly miserable, grew bitter and jaded and caused my sister and I many years of shytty relationships before we found our respective spouses and worked through our our own issues. And even then, the fear of commitment was HUGE! I would have preferred my parents got divorced as a kid, so then they maybe would have moved on to happier healthier times and my sister and I would have seen that. The whole stay together for the kids thing is worse IMHO. Break up, amicably, and be there for your kids.

I agree totally. My parents never had a loving relationship, in fact my dad pretty much hated my mom and my mom stayed in the relationship for my sake. They finally got divorced when I was 26, after years of us all living in the same house but them not talking and me serving as the in-between, or of screaming hour-long fights. Trust me, I would have been much happier not to go through any of that!

In the case of S&P at least their child is very young. The only memory he will have of his parents it of them divorced, so as long as each gives the kid their unconditional love and they can act cordially towards one another when everyone's togehter, this is much much better for the child. IMHO!

Frau Muller
06-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Just saw this because have been so swamped at work....

WHAT????? Holy crap. First Tipper and Al...now this? :eek:

overedge
06-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Hmmm. The Gores announce their separation....just before Jamie and David announce theirs. And Jamie is a spokesperson for Burt's Bees which is all about....*saving the environment*. Coincidence or not? You decide :EVILLE:

mapleleafsk8fan
06-07-2010, 08:11 PM
It's sad to see them divorce, as they always seemed such a good match.

Their "Come Away With Me" program, which was right before they got married, was always one of my fav's, you could see their love in how they looked at each other in that program.

On a side note...through all the drama, no one has complained about the title of the thread, referring to them as "Gold Medallists!" :P

Sabrine Tornston
06-07-2010, 09:13 PM
On a side note...through all the drama, no one has complained about the title of the thread, referring to them as "Gold Medallists!" :P
Well, it's not like it says "Olympic Champions". ;)

Andora
06-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Their "Come Away With Me" program, which was right before they got married, was always one of my fav's, you could see their love in how they looked at each other in that program.

Really? Different strokes-- that program bored me witless. :P In fact, I really, really enjoyed their Scream program on CSOI this year. Maybe a (very small) upside of the divorce is an added dimension to their skating? ;)

mapleleafsk8fan
06-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Really? Different strokes-- that program bored me witless. :P In fact, I really, really enjoyed their Scream program on CSOI this year. Maybe a (very small) upside of the divorce is an added dimension to their skating? ;)

LOL! I guess CAWM has some personal meaning for me as well. I wish I could have seen Scream, but CSOI didn't come anywhere near to where I live.
Glad they can still skate well, considering their personal issues.

The Observer
06-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Just saw this because have been so swamped at work....

I think the reason people are surprised by these two divorces is because these couples were portrayed to be perfect fairytale couples.

In reality, no couple is perfect, and there are things going on that we don't know about. But a lot of people invest hope in certain couples and it can be risky, because then they feel let down when they break up.

I've noticed on a number of websites that people are saying they are devastated that these marriages broke up. That's why it's important not to get drawn into the misleading media image of some of these couples in the first place.

Doubletoe
06-08-2010, 12:28 AM
I agree totally. My parents never had a loving relationship, in fact my dad pretty much hated my mom and my mom stayed in the relationship for my sake. They finally got divorced when I was 26, after years of us all living in the same house but them not talking and me serving as the in-between, or of screaming hour-long fights. Trust me, I would have been much happier not to go through any of that!

In the case of S&P at least their child is very young. The only memory he will have of his parents it of them divorced, so as long as each gives the kid their unconditional love and they can act cordially towards one another when everyone's togehter, this is much much better for the child. IMHO!

Exactly. It's not the divorce itself that causes the child to suffer, it's the way the divorced parents react to the divorce. My parents got divorced and wouldn't even speak to each other, and that was very painful for me. In contrast, I married a divorced man and his arrangement with his ex was completely different. They talk every day, they attend the kids' functions together, etc., and they take turns staying with the kids at their house (the mom's primary residence) rather than shuffling the kids back and forth between two homes. The kids are very well-adjusted and happy as a result.

In contrast, before their divorce, they lived in separate bedrooms and were either avoiding each other or screaming at each other at any given time. Had they stayed together, the kids would have been constantly in the crossfire and would have never had an example of a healthy, happy marriage (which they now do, since both parents have harmonious relationships with their new partners). We may not know if that example will shape how they conduct their own relationships in the future, but at least they have seen first hand that it is *possible* for people to be happily married, not just pretending in public. Had their parents stayed together, they would not have had a chance to see that possibility.

Iceman
06-08-2010, 05:15 AM
Has any male pairs skater, who made it to or near the top, had as many skating partners as David's four?

Aussie Willy
06-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Jamie is now a moth? Well I suppose if she's been many other animals (cow, dog, snake, etc) it sort of makes sense. Frankly, I don't really have any opinion on the divorce either way as I'm not in that relationship with them. If I was however, Jamie would not be invited into the bedroom with David and I.
You are just so picky, aren't you?:drama: