PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Star Trek series

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Jot the Dot Dot
06-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I grew up on 'Classic' Trek as it's called. Show was innovative for it's time, combining sci-fi with often humanitarian themes. But looking back, it was rather campy. And too many episodes revolved around Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Star Trek TNG was more polished, and had the distinction of very often giving each cast member his/her day. Deep Space Nine was too limited in revolving around one vehicle, in spite of the whole Gem H'Dar line. Voyager was an improvement, especially with the introduction of Seven Of Nine (in her costume, I'd call her 37 of 23 of 36 :lol: ). Enterprize was a series I just couldn't get into. And the Animated series was just too plastic in it's animation.

Your thoughts?

Beefcake
06-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Nerd!

hey, you asked for my thoughts! :P

nerdycool
06-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I haven't seen TOG or Voyager at all, though they're all on my Netflix list. But my favorite would be TNG, followed by Enterprise and then DS9. Each one takes me a while to get into, but I always end up loving them.

skatesindreams
06-02-2010, 05:13 PM
TNG did a wonderful job of expanding on the themes of the original series.
I couldn't help but be interested. I live close to KSC, and the series' have been a part of my life since they began!

nubka
06-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Whoo hoo!!! Captain Kirk all the way, baby!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Bev Johnston
06-02-2010, 05:26 PM
I made fun of TNG when it first started, but I got slowly sucked in and it became one of my favorite shows of all time. They have nightly marathons on BBC America lately!

I've never seen Enterpise. I don't think it was shown in my area, or else it was at a weird time. Save for a few episodes, I couldn't get into drama and political intrigue of DS9. I loved Voyager, but I probably missed half the series. I really need to see the whole series again!

Does anyone else think of the Cardassians whenever you see or hear anything about the Kardashians?

Stormy
06-02-2010, 05:54 PM
TNG, followed by DS9. I've seen every single episode of TNG at least 5-10 times or more.

Skate Talker
06-02-2010, 05:58 PM
I picked Voyageur though it was a close call between that and the original. TNG was just to sanitized for my liking and too much about. I liked the return to the pioneering spirit in Voyageur - out there on their own with no help from the mighty Federation, lots of action. TNG was run by committee in comparison. Also I liked how they brought it full circle and finished it off. (Actually they kind of did that 2 other times but "changed" their fate by remedying something they had done.)

DS9 was wayyyyyy too mystical-religion-based for me. The Enterprise series was interesting but never became must-see tv for me and is hard to watch in re-runs due to the attack on earth and the subsequent story line that made single episodes incomplete and somewhat pointless if not seen in strict order - sort of what it might be like seeing a month of soap opera in random order. Too bad because I really liked this cast of characters and the actors - never became all that it could be afaiac.

attyfan
06-02-2010, 06:06 PM
I liked TNG and DS9. BTW, Capt Picard is now "Sir Jean-Luc":

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37466438/ns/today-entertainment/

AYS
06-02-2010, 06:20 PM
I had to vote for TNG, it's so great, but would tie it with the original if I could, because...it was the original and I loved it! But TNG was awesome and so much less cheesy and had Jean Luc Picard :swoon: and Data.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-02-2010, 06:34 PM
I think most people will pick the TNG because it what most people actually grew up with and was most likely the most successful of the series. However, I find it so wooden and stilted. I love the Original Series because they had personality.

If I was on a starship, I rather have Kirk as my captain because at least it'll look like we're having some fun.

GarrAarghHrumph
06-02-2010, 06:49 PM
You forgot DS9 for your poll!

My fave is TNG, because of the characters. But I also really liked Enterprise... and often feel I am the only one who does. :lol:

Bostonfan
06-02-2010, 07:21 PM
I was just marveling at an episode of TNG last night, "The Drumhead". One of those rare bottle shows (meaning everything took place on the ship and no "new words and new civilizations" were featured) that was simply brilliant. They had a slow start no doubt, but as an avid fan of the original that sniffed at the idea of TNG when it first came out, they grabbed me by Season 3 and surpassed the original IMO.

I remember the season cliffhanger for "Best of Both Worlds" when Riker gave the order to fire on Picard/Locutus - right before the "To be continued" came on. I remember yelling, "NOOOOOOO!!!!" That summer waiting for the next season to start in the Fall was my version of "Who shot J.R.?".

Kruss
06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
I was such a fan of the original show that I refused to watch TNG for the first 5 years. Then my sister got me into it (she had taped them all), and during one summer I caught up on 5 seasons of the show. (I guess that's a cheat; I only had to endure Season 6's cliffhanger. LOL)

Here's something that will kick over some sacred cows: I know Roddenberry was brilliant in his concept of the shows, but I have to say that the more he let go of having a hand with TNG, the better it got. The first season or two were for the most part very campy (like the original show), with several notable episodes as the exception.

But then the series really took off in my opinion. The writers were amazing; they had a way of making us believe that this stuff was real and could really happen. "Yesterday's Enterprise" (the one where they encountered the Enterprise-D) was a brilliant example of this.

And with that, my geek has officially fallen out.

DiscoDollie
06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
I rarely post, but this thread pulls me out of my lurkerdom :p Let me add my vote to TNG as my favorite. It's a show that I can watch over and over and it never seems to get old. My sis and I watched it as kids and we get a whole different perspective out of it when we watch it again as adults.

I remember thinking the original series was so dated, and I feel a little sad that people 10-ish years younger than me probably feel the same way about TNG. They don't know what they're missing! :D