PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Winter Youth Olympic Games Qualification System for Figure Skating

Pages : [1] 2

Sylvia
06-01-2010, 09:23 PM
The Qualification System of the 1st Winter Youth Olympic Games in Innsbruck, Austria, January 13-22, 2012 has been published on the ISU site (Figure Skating is pp. 1-3): http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,4844-128590-19728-18885-307591-3787-4771-layout160-129898-news-item,00.html

Excerpts:

ATHLETE ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible for the 2012 Youth Olympic Games, athletes must have been born between 1 January 1996 and 31 December 1997.
Exception: Male skaters in Pairs and Ice Dance may have been born between 1 January 1994 and 31 December 1997.

B. Qualification System
PERFORMANCE & CONTINENTAL REPRESENTATION
1. The maximum numbers of entries for the Youth Olympic Games is sixteen (16) for Ladies and Men, ten (10) for Pairs and twelve (12) for Ice Dance. The entries by name will be made by the respective NOC.

2. On the basis of the 2011 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, Members who have reached in the final result places 1, 2 and 3 may enter two (2) competitors/couples in the respective event; other Members can only enter one (1) competitor/couple per event.

3. The entry quota will be determined according to the result of the immediately preceding World Junior Figure Skating Championships and the ranking of the ISU Junior Grand Prix Series of that season.

4. Twelve (12) entries in Men and Ladies category, seven (7) in Pairs and nine (9) in Ice Dance will be determined through the ranking order of the World Junior Figure Skating Championships of the year immediately preceding the YOG. The medallist countries as referred to in paragraph 2 above will have two (2) entries in the event of the medallists, each other Member only has one (1) entry.

5. The remaining open entries available (four (4) for Men and Ladies, three (3) for Pairs and ice Dance), will be filled by the Members in order of their placements at the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating of the same season. Members already qualified cannot be represented with an additional entry. No Member, except the medallist countries at the Junior World Championships, can enter with more than one (1) competitor/couple in each event.
There will also be a Team Trophy -- "a mixed country Team event, consisting of eight (8) mixed NOC Teams."

Clay
06-01-2010, 11:13 PM
I am anxious to see how this event will play out. Will it be more prestigious than world juniors, but less the Worlds/Olympics?
It may comes right after US Nationals.

I also wonder how the world will look at a "new" Olympics. The Goodwill Games never really gained the popularity (or anywhere close) to the Olympics, but this is an IOC event

Sylvia
06-01-2010, 11:19 PM
It may comes right after US Nationals.
Just checked -- you're right! 2012 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA are scheduled for January 22-29.

skatefan
06-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info Sylvia.

It's a little disappointing that there will be so few entries. I wonder why/how the numbers were arrived at considering the usual warm up group numbers.
If I read the info correctly, it appears that an unqualified host nation skater will bump off the last correctly qualified skater rather than be an 'extra'. That doesn't seem very fair.

euterpe
06-03-2010, 05:17 AM
If this event is the week before US Nationals 2012, that presents a dilemma for US Pairs.

natsukie325
06-04-2010, 02:10 PM
ATHLETE ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible for the 2012 Youth Olympic Games, athletes must have been born between 1 January 1996 and 31 December 1997.
Exception: Male skaters in Pairs and Ice Dance may have been born between 1 January 1994 and 31 December 1997

I'm afraid eligible skaters are really limited. They must be 16 to 18 years old when the YOG is held. Is it possible for the many countries to send internationally competitive skaters, especially in men's field? Why did they range skaters age so narrow?

They also intend to have team event. How many country can make up a team of these ages? At least Japan can't, I guess.

skatefan
06-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm afraid eligible skaters are really limited. They must be 16 to 18 years old when the YOG is held.
Yes for the male pairs/dance skaters, and for singles the oldest skaters would be 16 (born 01.01.96), the youngest 14 (born 31.12.97) - I think the birth dates correspond with the European Youth Olympic requirements and I wonder whether this event will still go ahead? (12th-19th February 2011 in Liberec)

Ziggy
06-16-2010, 01:36 AM
10 Pairs, 12 Ice Dance teams and 16 Ladies/Men and that's Juniors.

What a total joke. :rolleyes:

gkelly
06-16-2010, 02:24 AM
I'm afraid eligible skaters are really limited. They must be 16 to 18 years old when the YOG is held.

Yes for the male pairs/dance skaters, and for singles the oldest skaters would be 16 (born 01.01.96), the youngest 14 (born 31.12.97)

If this is going to be an every-4-years event, alternating with summer games, then it's kind of silly to have a 2-year window of age eligibility; half of all potential participants would never be eligible.

Also, of course, for different sports athletes tend to peak at different ages. For some sports 16-year-olds would be far ready to participate in world-level senior competition at all, with perhaps the occasional fluke once every decade or two. A separate youth event, especially if it includes the full four-year age range of 14-18, for these sports can be a nice introduction to high-level Olympic-style competition, perhaps many years before they would have a hope of competing at the Olympics.

In sports such as ladies' figure skating, even with the current senior age limits, the most talented athletes can be world-class senior medal contenders at 16 and probably shouldn't be competing in a junior event.

If the winter youth games were held the same year as the standard winter games, it could be a consolation prize for those who don't meet the age minimums, e.g., Kim and Asada in 2006. But with the offset of 2 years and the 2-year age gap, it doesn't even serve that purpose. If there had been a 2004 Youth Winter Games, they would have been too young, and by 2008 they would have been too old and were medaling at the senior level already.

So it just seems kind of silly and not very prestigious to have a multisport event held every few years with very narrow age limits.

And then of course we know that narrow age ranges have an even harsher effect on eligibility of pair and dance teams, which can have a variety of age gaps including more than 4 years difference (esp. in pairs) or less than a year difference or girl older than boy (in dance).

So age ranges that make sense for solo sports in which all talented teenagers are juniors, or popular large-team sports (hockey for the winter games) in which many countries can field full teams at each age cohort, do not make sense for sports where some athletes reach their full peak during the junior age range or where there are limited choices of appropriate teammates even before taking age into account.

There's no point in pretending that these age limits would make for meaningful Olympic-caliber junior-level competition for all sports. It might be fun for those who are lucky enough to compete, but the field should not be considered representative of the best each sport will have to offer at the Olympics 2 or 6 years in the future.

For skating, it would have to be considered be less prestigious than Junior Worlds just because of the narrowed field. A fluff event. And narrowing the junior age range for other ISU junior events to match this fluff event would only lessen the value of those events, not increase the prestige of skating in the YOG.

Meanwhile, fewer opportunities at the junior level would discourage many skaters from sticking with the sport long enough to become world-class seniors.

Ziggy
06-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Great post Gkelly, especially the examples of Kim and Asada who would have been too young for one Youth Olympics and too old for the next because of the age limits being so narrow. :rolleyes:

iseil
06-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Yes for the male pairs/dance skaters, and for singles the oldest skaters would be 16 (born 01.01.96), the youngest 14 (born 31.12.97) - I think the birth dates correspond with the European Youth Olympic requirements and I wonder whether this event will still go ahead? (12th-19th February 2011 in Liberec)

AFAIK the EYOF event will be continued. Since we do not have something like European Junior Championships it is quite good to have this event. Also for the other sports (fe skiing) it is an important youth event.

iseil
06-16-2010, 09:41 AM
If this is going to be an every-4-years event, alternating with summer games, then it's kind of silly to have a 2-year window of age eligibility; half of all potential participants would never be eligible.

AFAIK it is going to be a 2-years event - so the it won´t happen that somebody is never the right age.

iseil
06-16-2010, 09:48 AM
10 Pairs, 12 Ice Dance teams and 16 Ladies/Men and that's Juniors.

What a total joke. :rolleyes:

I totaly agree! Especialy with cutting down Paris and Dance. There are not going to be too many pairs at this age anyway. I think this event would be a great motivation for some countries to support pair skating and dance more if they have a good chance to participate in YOG. Also just 16 singel spots? O Come on. I think at least 24 would be a good number. It is an IOC event for good sake. There should not be any problems with cost cutting. :duh:

Asli
06-16-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't understand why the number of competitors is not a multiple of the warm-up group size. It should be a multiple of 6 for singles, of 5 for dance and of 4 for pairs, in order to optimize the time spent per competitor.

skatefan
06-16-2010, 10:00 AM
http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_1275.pdf

Organising the 1st Winter Youth Olympic Games in 2012

Participants
Approximately 1,000 athletes and 500 officials will be associated with the
YOG, and all participating NOCs will have their representatives
in the educational workshops and cultural programmes at
the Games.

The age groups participating in a sport or discipline will vary between
14 and 18 years, as defined together with the relevant International
Federation (IF). In principle, there will be one specific two-year
age group (e.g. 14/15, 15/16, 16/17 or 17/18) participating in a
sport or discipline.

Format

The periodicity of the YOG is that of an Olympiad, i.e. every four
years, with the first edition of the Winter Youth Olympic Games
starting in 2012. The Winter YOG will last a maximum of 10 days,
and will be held at a time of year that fits in with the sporting and
climatic calendars.

From this it appears that the summer and winter Youth Olympic Games will alternate so there is an event every two years as is the case with the Olympic Games. But each winter youth event will be four years apart as will each summer event.

So the European Youth Olympic Festival could continue to be held every two years and that would pick up the athletes who would otherwise miss out on the four-yearly event - but of course this is only for European athletes, so maybe other world regions will run a comparative event. A few years ago there was a figure skating event at the Australian Youth Olympic Festival but for some reason it wasn't held again last year.