PDA

View Full Version : Do you sleep with the windows open?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

shells
06-01-2010, 01:51 AM
I like sleeping with the windows open and will till it gets too hot.

Though, last weekend I discovered that thanks to annoying neighbours who put their garbage out early we have a ton of raccoons around. I woke up in the middle of the night to a rustling outside on my deck and discovered that a couple of raccoons had raided someone's garbage and brought it up onto my deck to have a feast. One of them seemed to be showing too much interest in the window (probably because my cat was there staring out at it), so now I have to make sure that any of the windows that can be accessed from the deck have to be closed. Sadly, that is half of my windows. :(

mmscfdcsu
06-01-2010, 01:57 AM
Fall, Winter, and Spring I sleep with windows and balcony doors wide open. Yes I do have screens. Summer, I have everything shut up and the air conditioning on. I love the fresh air, but I cannot sleep if it is over 50-55 degrees at night.

silverstars
06-01-2010, 02:07 AM
When I'm in NYC, no. I've had street-facing rooms for the past three years, which is a thousand times better than the air-shaft, but is also incredibly loud when you live right off of Broadway.

When I'm home in suburbia, though, I absolutely love leaving the windows open on a warm (not hot) summer night. I love the fresh air and the breeze coming through the open window.

Bostonfan
06-01-2010, 02:09 AM
I hate turning on my A.C., but my threshold is about 70 degrees. Otherwise, I do open the window in my room during the tiny period of time that it doesn't get too cold or too hot at night.

Aussie Willy
06-01-2010, 02:10 AM
But, I will worry about you having a stuck window and that you might have to get out through it. :) I guess you could always break it if you had to.
I will deal with that if it came to it.

Rex
06-01-2010, 02:23 AM
My building uses steam heat, and sometimes, even in the depth of winter, it can get intolerably hot. So my windows are pretty much open year round.

GarrAarghHrumph
06-01-2010, 02:23 AM
I live on a very busy street, so no, I do not sleep with the windows open. In fact, we've put in new modern (double glazed) windows, plus added insulation to the exterior wall (there had been none), and now, with the windows closed, I sleep like a baby.

cruisin
06-01-2010, 02:25 AM
I will deal with that if it came to it.

Nice, let me worry :lol:

I'm teasing you. But my daughter had to live in an apartment in someone's house for a while. And her window was stuck shut for a while, it gave me nightmares. So, I do worry about things like that :). Of course I worry about most everything, it's probably what I do best :D.

Veronika
06-01-2010, 02:39 AM
never, I don't like the outdoors or murderers

:rofl:

I used to sleep with the windows open, but now it's too loud for me. We have a bird problem, plus there are railroad tracks less than a mile from our apartment.

Moto Guzzi
06-01-2010, 02:48 AM
No, I have too many allergies. The oak tree next door would do me in.

BigB08822
06-01-2010, 03:06 AM
I live in Southern Louisiana, so NO! Perhaps you could for the 2 weeks in the fall and spring when the temp is just right and there is no humidity. It is then too cold or too hot and almost always TOO WET. A lot of people have their homes nearly ruined after hurricanes because they open their windows and leave them open at night and too much moisture gets into the house from the humidity, wall paper will just fall off the wall and furniture and flooring can be ruined.

pat c
06-01-2010, 04:07 AM
Yes, in the spring, summer and fall, unless it gets too hot to sleep.

IceAlisa
06-01-2010, 04:25 AM
I like to open the windows for a few hours before we go to sleep but close them for the night--way too cold year around here plus too noisy in the morning. Birds start chirping at 4:30 or so, even before sunrise. Loudly.

jeffisjeff
06-01-2010, 04:34 AM
We do when we can (temperature is right). We put the fan in the bedroom window until bedtime, then close the window in the bedroom but keep the master bathroom window open through the night. The bathroom is at the back of the house, while the bedroom is at the front. So keeping the bathroom window open and closing the bedroom window provides more privacy. I love having windows open, much prefer it to AC, but wish I could somehow keep the windows open and the curtains closed. :lol:

mkats
06-01-2010, 04:58 AM
I like to open the windows for a few hours before we go to sleep but close them for the night--way too cold year around here plus too noisy in the morning. Birds start chirping at 4:30 or so, even before sunrise. Loudly.

:lol: That reminds me of how we used to keep our windows open all the time in the spring/summer/fall at college because there was no AC in the dorm buildings. One morning I was already up early when this crow landed right on our windowsill and started cawing away - the roomie sat up, yelled "Shut up, bird!" and promptly fell over and went back to sleep.