PDA

View Full Version : Director of The Hobbit drops out of movie.

Pages : [1] 2

Satellitegirl
05-31-2010, 04:32 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=10786288

Guess there have been so many delays that he can't stay on the project anymore without compromising a lot of other projects. It's too bad, but I understand his reasons.

John 3 17
05-31-2010, 06:24 AM
I've been out of the loop... how come PJ isn't directing? He'd do a perfect job, obviously. And why two films? I think "The Hobbit" would do fine as one film. It's not anywhere as rich as the LOTR trilogy; I was surprised to read that.

Thanks for the info, SG!

-Bridget :)

Wyliefan
06-01-2010, 03:11 AM
If Drood is one of the projects he's leaving to work on, he should've stuck with The Hobbit. I've read both, and Drood was okay, but The Hobbit was much better.

AragornElessar
06-01-2010, 04:24 AM
While that's part of what Wyliefan is touching on in her post, it's not the entire story. We've been hearing for the last two years that MGM's finance problems would throw a very big monkey wrench into returning to Middle-Earth and seems that's not just a rumour anymore. It's also not only TH affected by MGM's money problems. It's also ended up postponing the next Bond/007 movie.

Considering both franchises are for sure money makers and...That gives you a good idea of just how bad things are at MGM.

jayta
06-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I think that they are adding supplementary stuff for the Hobbit movie. Plus 'm sure the production company wanted to make as much money as possible. And there's plenty of stuff in the book to fill two movies.

I just hope that it won't feel like filler.

gkelly
06-01-2010, 03:41 PM
If Drood is one of the projects he's leaving to work on, he should've stuck with The Hobbit. I've read both, and Drood was okay, but The Hobbit was much better.

You read the books, or you read the screenplays?

Wyliefan
06-01-2010, 04:39 PM
The books.

Indra486
06-01-2010, 04:46 PM
PJ did say (even more recently) that if it comes down to saving the project from being dumped, he'll direct it himself.

IceAlisa
06-01-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't care who directs it, I find the series vastly superior to a sleeping pill, both books and the movies. Weird, since I am such a devoted Harry Potter fangirl.

rfisher
06-01-2010, 06:54 PM
I don't care who directs it, I find the series vastly superior to a sleeping pill, both books and the movies. Weird, since I am such a devoted Harry Potter fangirl.

Speaking of, are there any DH Part 1 trailers out yet?

And Emma Watson did a burberry ad. She's gorgeous.

IceAlisa
06-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Haven't seen any but there's this: http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.accesshollywood.com/harry-potter-stars-devastated-series-ends

November 19th!!! :cheer2:

Yes, Emma is very pretty but I still won't buy Burberry.

Wait, there is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7SVlKWFn0&feature=fvw

Satellitegirl
06-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Love the books and movies. Much more detailed than Harry Potter, and therefore can be tedious to some.

Ziggy
06-01-2010, 10:35 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :wall:

Peter Jackson is such a crap, bland, styleless director.

Guillermo Del Toro has an absolutely amazing visual imagination and flair and has directed a number of very interesting films, like "Pan's Labyrinth" which is excellent.

Whilst I hated what Jackson did with LOTR, I was extremely excited about Del Toro's take on "Hobbit." So crushed and dissapointed now. :(

IceAlisa
06-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Love the books and movies. Much more detailed than Harry Potter, and therefore can be tedious to some.

Details I don't mind. It's the utter humorlessness that turns me off.

rfisher
06-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I thought The Hobbit had quite a bit of subtle humor. At least more than LOTR. But then Tolkien was all about war and the raping of the countryside. There's some suggestion of having Alfonso Cuaron direct. I hated his version of PoA.