PDA

View Full Version : Director of The Hobbit drops out of movie.

Pages : 1 [2]

IceAlisa
06-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I love Alfonso Cuaron and PoA. No one does teenage angst better.

rfisher
06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Well, I grant the angst was there. :lol: I just didn't like the departure from the books, but then every movie except the first has disappointed me in that regard. :shuffle:

I did like PJ's LOTR. For some reason, his script editing didn't bother me. In fact, his amplification of the female roles, in particular Arwen, were quite good. Well, I was yelling at the screen when Frodo and Sam were hauled back to Gondor by Faramir, but that was the only time I threw stuff.

IceAlisa
06-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Well, I grant the angst was there. :lol: I just didn't like the departure from the books, but then every movie except the first has disappointed me in that regard. :shuffle:

I think departure from the canon is inevitable. If they'd only thought of doing it in several parts before... :(

John 3 17
06-02-2010, 04:58 AM
I think departure from the canon is inevitable. If they'd only thought of doing it in several parts before... :(

Then it wouldn't have been LOTR, now would it?

Love the books and the movies by PJ. I'm usually very, very particular about my favorite books being made into movies (Chronicles of Narnia are my favorite books ever and I detest, loathe, etc the movies). I was shocked by how very much I loved them. My only beef was making Aragorn such a doubter in himself. In the book, he really is already very king-like and quite comfortable with his destiny. Very self-assured. Hated that PJ made him question himself. Aragorn is one of the most important figures in the series so that was a shame. Oh, and the part with Sam abandoning Frodo due to Gollum's lies; that really ticked me off. I fast-forward that part whenever I watch the DVD. Otherwise, loved just about everything and would be thrilled if PJ winds up directing.

-Bridget :)

jayta
06-02-2010, 05:30 AM
I think PJ did an excellent job visually and storyline wise with LOTR. I won't say I didn't hate the departures of the book and characters though. It pissed me off. But it didn't take away from the stunning trilogy he made. Seriously the cast was awesome. Especially Viggo as Aragorn. I can't say I was overly enthused by the casting of EW as Frodo and Sean Astin as Sam, but I'm a little picky about the fact that Frodo and Sam were completely the wrong ages.

However they brought the trilogy to life.

I don't think I'd mind seeing PJ's version of The Hobbit, as there wouldn't be major departures to the feel of the LOTR trilogy. However I would be kind of fun to see how the feel would change with the change of directors. I have to say that The Hobbit definitely has a different feel than LOTR. I think that was why I never read LOTR for the longest time as a kid because I loved The Hobbit and didn't want to move on to new characters.

I"m glad I read them though. I seriously feel like they are on my Top 10 books to read ever.

Ziggy
06-02-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't see anything in LOTR that couldn't have been done by any other random blockbuster director.

IceAlisa
06-02-2010, 06:34 PM

I am sorry for the confusion: rfisher and I were talking about Harry Potter. Don't mean to hijack the thread. :shuffle:

Wyliefan
06-02-2010, 07:10 PM

Love the books and the movies by PJ. I'm usually very, very particular about my favorite books being made into movies (Chronicles of Narnia are my favorite books ever and I detest, loathe, etc the movies). I was shocked by how very much I loved them. My only beef was making Aragorn such a doubter in himself. In the book, he really is already very king-like and quite comfortable with his destiny. Very self-assured. Hated that PJ made him question himself. Aragorn is one of the most important figures in the series so that was a shame. Oh, and the part with Sam abandoning Frodo due to Gollum's lies; that really ticked me off. I fast-forward that part whenever I watch the DVD. Otherwise, loved just about everything and would be thrilled if PJ winds up directing.

Every modern adaptation apparently has to have at least one wildly out-of-character scene for at least one main character. :rolleyes: Talk about throwing things -- I practically have a screaming fit every time I see the scene where Amy starts whaling on Arthur in Little Dorrit, even though it's a really good adaptation on the whole. Yet another reason why the FF button was invented.

Indra486
06-03-2010, 12:52 AM
There's no guarantee that PJ will do it. He said it would be the last resort and they are still looking for directors. I read this somewhere else but this person felt PJ shouldn't do it because his career needs more than just hobbits and wizards. Thinking about it, I do agree. I heard he is in the talks to do Mortal Engines, a steampunk novel series. I kind of hope he would get going on that.

John 3 17
06-03-2010, 01:06 AM
I am sorry for the confusion: rfisher and I were talking about Harry Potter. Don't mean to hijack the thread. :shuffle:

Aha; I misunderstood since I'm not into HP and didn't realize you all were talking about that ;)

-Bridget

John 3 17
06-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Every modern adaptation apparently has to have at least one wildly out-of-character scene for at least one main character. :rolleyes: Talk about throwing things -- I practically have a screaming fit every time I see the scene where Amy starts whaling on Arthur in Little Dorrit, even though it's a really good adaptation on the whole. Yet another reason why the FF button was invented.

I always feel such dramatic changes are an insult to the author and proof of the movie industry's conceit that they can do it better. If a book is popular enough to warrant a film adaptation, then it shouldn't need core changes. Condensing and editting is fine and expected; but changing the personality of a character is unnecassary. If it's not in the name of saving time, I don't like it ;)

-Bridget

Sylvia
06-03-2010, 04:14 AM
From The Dominion Post of New Zealand (June 1): Sir Peter Jackson says he may step in (http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/national/3760135/Sir-Peter-Jackson-says-he-may-step-in/)

Satellitegirl
06-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Peter Jackson did well with the movies IMO, not so much with a "style" but with the people he chose to work with, and the people he chose for the cast. That cast got along so great and had such great chemistry that it really made the movies come together. There weren't any drastic stand out "whoopty doo" stars in it. You saw the characters rather than the actor. Miranda Otto was awesome as Eowyn. Bernard Hill was wonderful as King Theoden (Rohan is my favorite part of the movies). Viggo was terrific as Aragorn. and on and on. Then Howard Shore's score for the movie....unbelievably beautiful. Lighting of the Beacons scene = best scored scene in a movie IMO. The CGI was really well done. The scenes with Gandalf and the Hobbits superb.

Love these movies(probably why I have theatrical versions, extended versions, saved magazines...one of which I ordered directly from New Zealand etc...) and they'll always hold a special place for me. Peter Jackson did a wonderful job. You can never make movies exactly like the books, it's a matter of interpreting as a director what will play well to extreme fans and the general public. Just think of all the people that were turned on to read the books and experience that, because of these movies.

Satellitegirl
06-25-2010, 09:57 PM
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/06/25/peter-jackson-in-negotiations-for-the-hobbit/ *crosses fingers* :)