PDA

View Full Version : Strange Things You Do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

Castlerock
05-30-2010, 04:42 AM
I make words out of people's regular licence plates. For example, if it says ACRD 801, I would think accordian, or acredit. BCSE 059 would be because. Apparently it's a Capricorn thing! But it drives me nuts when I am driving.

Or trying to figure out people's vanity plates.

cruisin
05-30-2010, 03:21 PM
I wish they were espadrilles! These can be dressy. No, it was more along the lines of this: http://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/0/6/1060658-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg?

And dirty.

Ah, sneakers, tennis shoes. Maybe the woman had just seen the most recent version of "Father of the Bride". In the newer version Father (Steve Martin) owns a sneaker factory and has a fancy pair of white sneakers made for his daughter the bride. She is thrilled with them and wears them with her wedding dress. It was charming in the movie, maybe your guest thought - I can do that!

Maybe people need to be fairly specific on their invitations. My niece is getting married in September. My SIL keeps telling people that it is not formal. But, it is being held in a very ritzy country club, and I know my brother and his wife will get "dressed". So, while I understand their idea of casual means no tux required, I don't know if everyone will get that. Anyway, I rarely get a chance to "dress up" so for me it's fun to wear a pretty dress.

taf2002
05-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Maybe I'm a "wedding snob" because I was raised by a mother who didn't believe in saving things for "best". We used the good china & silver for ordinary Sunday dinner & we dressed up at the drop of a hat. After all, if a wedding isn't an occasion for dressing up, what is? And I'm not talking about fancy clothes. I'm talking about all your clothes being clean (with no grass or mud stains) & ironed, and by dressing in your best within your means. IOW, making an effort.

TygerLily
05-30-2010, 08:23 PM
uh - I think the bus driver was trying to get the bus quiet. This granddaughter of a farmer has never heard about a cow who doesn't moo.Hmmm, it's true that I *am* gullible.

I grew up in a farming community (and trained cows for a couple of disastrous 4-H years) and had never heard of this kind of cow, either, but he implied this was a rare breed. It was on Ile d'Orleans or somewhere else close to Quebec City, but I can't find anything online to corroborate this story. Your "shut up the annoying kid" theory is definitely plausible!

SoNaoWat?
05-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Continuing the thread drift toward the wedding topic- here's my .02:

The point of a wedding is to be there to witness the joining of a couple in marriage. It's not a fashion show, it's not a cattle sale, and it's not a one-upmanship contest. You're there to watch 2 people get married, and what you wear shouldn't be that big a deal. If you don't have much money, but you somehow get invited to a wedding where most people will be wearing full suits and evening dresses, then the best you can do is your church clothes- a dress or skirt, blouse, and pumps or nice sandals. (OTOH, people are dressing up less for church nowadays too, so there goes that guideline!)

I also think that if people want to get married in the park and have their friends and family bring lawn chairs and follow with a potluck reception, more power to 'em. Every wedding I've ever been to has been in the church where either the bride or groom or their parents attended regularly. Except for one, there have been only cake, punch, mints and nuts at the receptions, which have been in the kitchens/fellowship halls of the churches where the weddings were. (The exception- the wedding was at a church and the reception was a dinner and dance, including alcohol, at the Elks' Lodge.) Yeah, I'm from the South, and I don't get invited to 'rich people' weddings! :)

For what it's worth, if I ever get married again, with any luck it will be on a beach at sunset somewhere and I'll be wearing a white sundress and my guests will be wearing khaki cargo shorts and hawaiian shirts! And we'll all be barefoot, even the officiant.

Back on thread topic- when I use eggs out of a carton, I have to take them from the ends, so that the remaining eggs are all in the middle.

SoNaoWat?
05-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Oops- forgot my own sister's second wedding, which was at a wedding cottage out in the country. It was the only one I've been to that wasn't in a church. I just tried to count- I think I've been to 16 or 17 weddings in my life. (ETA- 19, including my own)

Lionhart
05-31-2010, 03:43 AM
I have done this several times:

I will lock a door to an office, my house, or I will lock my car and walk a far distance away from it. I will then start to second guess whether or not I locked the door or car, and I will go all the way back to make sure. Ugh!!

numbers123
05-31-2010, 04:45 AM
I have been known to lock a door or car, and pull on the handle/knob several times to make sure that it is locked.

I have a walking program for the Wii. I refuse to stop walking mid song. I have to wait until the end of a song to quit the program. It drives me crazy to know that I didn't finish the song, because I then get that song stuck in my brain until the next walk program. :yikes:

made_in_canada
05-31-2010, 06:48 AM
I'm the same way. Any time I have a mild curiosity about something, I wikipedia the hell out of it. And then I end up spending hours on wikipedia because I keep seeing links that I want to check out when reading about the topics. I do the same thing when I watch TV shows and movies - after watching a movie I always go to the Internet Movie Database to see who the actors were and any trivia about it. Maybe filming locations...

I often say that because of this I may not have extensive knowledge on many things, but I sure as hell know bits about a huge variety of things.

Me too... I hate watching movies without IMDB at the ready. Probably my most used ipod app :D

As far as the wedding thing goes, I don't mind if a wedding is in a park and I have to bring my own chair, as long as the entire wedding matches in formality. Went to one of those weddings and the bride was wearing a pouffy, sequined dress... Before the wedding she kept talking about how casual it would be... :sigh:

cruisin
05-31-2010, 04:38 PM
I have been known to lock a door or car, and pull on the handle/knob several times to make sure that it is locked.

I have a walking program for the Wii. I refuse to stop walking mid song. I have to wait until the end of a song to quit the program. It drives me crazy to know that I didn't finish the song, because I then get that song stuck in my brain until the next walk program. :yikes:

What kind of walking program is for the Wii?

As far as the wedding thing goes, I don't mind if a wedding is in a park and I have to bring my own chair, as long as the entire wedding matches in formality. Went to one of those weddings and the bride was wearing a pouffy, sequined dress... Before the wedding she kept talking about how casual it would be... :sigh:

I think that is really the issue. I don't think it's fair to label anyone a wedding snob or criticize casual weddings. Some cultures and areas have big fancy weddings, even when they can't afford them. Some cultures and areas have more casual weddings, even if they could afford big blow outs. It's about what is right for you. However, I think it is important for the people having the wedding to make it clear, what the dress code is and I think that people attending should respect that. In IceAlisa's case, the wedding was a formal one. It was inappropriate for this woman to wear a gingham sun dress and sneakers. Just as it would be inappropriate for someone to wear a fancy beaded dress to a wedding in a park, where the invite clearly says very casual. The issue is how to describe the dress code. we know what formal means, we know what black tie means. But, what does informal or casual mean? It means different things to different people. Maybe, for wedding purposes, they should have a numerical code. 1 being jeans and a t-shirt, 10 being black tie, and all numbers in between represent a level of dress.

Another thing that I think invites should do is inform people whether they will be having punch and cake or if a full meal/open bar is provided. If you invite people from different cultures or areas, who are used to a certain way weddings are held, they don't know what to expect. For instance, If I am invited to a 5PM wedding and the reception follows, and there is only punch and cake, I would want to know before the wedding so that I could eat before I go.

I also think that if a lot of people are traveling a great distance, and at some expense (staying in hotels, etc.), some sort of food should be provided. I don't care if it's heavy appetizers or a full sit down, but something. That's just my opinion :)

PDilemma
05-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Me too... I hate watching movies without IMDB at the ready. Probably my most used ipod app :D

The potluck wedding in the park I went to...bride was wearing a nice dress (not a traditional wedding dress but white and quite nice) and heels, bridesmaid an even nicer dress, groom, and his plethora of people (like seven on his side and one on hers)--denim shorts, t-shirts and no shoes. And the groom, his son, the pastor and his five random people walked there carrying big banners and called it a "Jesus Parade". And we got "witnessed" to, and were asked to donate to a right-wing PAC in lieu of gifts. I sort of resented being required to provide food and my own table service for all of that.

cruisin
05-31-2010, 06:04 PM
The potluck wedding in the park I went to...bride was wearing a nice dress (not a traditional wedding dress but white and quite nice) and heels, bridesmaid an even nicer dress, groom, and his plethora of people (like seven on his side and one on hers)--denim shorts, t-shirts and no shoes. And the groom, his son, the pastor and his five random people walked there carrying big banners and called it a "Jesus Parade". And we got "witnessed" to, and were asked to donate to a right-wing PAC in lieu of gifts. I sort of resented being required to provide food and my own table service for all of that.

Sounds like "different" wedding :lol:. You need to share more!

Maybe we need a "strangest wedding you've ever been to, in, or given" thread :lol:

PDilemma
05-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Sounds like "different" wedding :lol:. You need to share more!

Maybe we need a "strangest wedding you've ever been to, in, or given" thread :lol:

Oh, I've got more.

numbers123
05-31-2010, 06:56 PM
What kind of walking program is for the Wii?

it is a game called Walk It Out. Although it is dorky and most of the songs (which you have to unlock) are for teens and pre-teens, it is fun for me. And it is a break between hula hooping/the run options on Wii Fitness Plus activities.

cruisin
05-31-2010, 10:55 PM
it is a game called Walk It Out. Although it is dorky and most of the songs (which you have to unlock) are for teens and pre-teens, it is fun for me. And it is a break between hula hooping/the run options on Wii Fitness Plus activities.

How do you walk? On a treadmill, around the room, in place?

PDilemma - give it up now! We need to know! :lol: