PDA

View Full Version : Strange Things You Do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

LilJen
05-30-2010, 12:56 AM
If I see an animal that seems like it's somewhat tame....like a duck or goose...I'll honk or quack at them. Same with sheep or goats. I dunno why, I guess I'm trying to get them to know I won't hurt them. lol (side note...there's a male and female duck that waddle around the lawn outside my apartment and they're so friggin cute. they walk up to me like "got any bread?" and look at me)

Inevitably if I'm passing by an animal while driving/riding in the car, I moo/bark/oink/neigh/whatever. I don't know why I do this, I really don't.

taf2002
05-30-2010, 12:57 AM
I guess I'm a wedding snob as well. I have never, ever been to a wedding where people were not dressed up - men in suits (with ties), women in dresses. The only wedding I ever went to that was not in a beautiful formal setting was one I went to DC for (I talked about it in another thread) where my friend got married in the Mormon Tabernacle and none of us could go in. But that whole wedding was :eek:. I'm Italian and Italians also have big fancy weddings.

I think weddings can be very different depending on where you live. I know that weddings in the north east tend to be very big and formal. I've heard that they tend to be less formal in the south. In some areas it's common to just serve cake/desert at receptions. in the north east they're full cocktail hours, sit down dinners, extensive desert/cordial tables.

Count me in as a wedding snob. I've only been to one wedding where people weren't dressed up. Yes, some weddings down here (Texas) only serve cake & punch but the people are dressed for a wedding.

IceAlisa
05-30-2010, 01:08 AM
everytime we have a thread that drifts to the wedding theme, there are wedding snobs that appear.

I would always dress in a nice dress or slacks for a wedding, but not everyone does and if the invitation isn't specific on what would be considered improper attire then you should expect that people have their own dress code rules.

I am fairly certain that many of you would be insulted to be invited to a wedding of my family members - it wouldn't require formal evening wear, wouldn't allow you to have a full open bar or an elegant sit down meal. And right now I am sunburnt so am irritable and really not willing to hear how trashy I am because of that.

It's not about evening wear and an elegant sit down meal. It's about shoes that are at the very least clean and may be a step up from what you wear for a milk run to the corner store. As I've said, beautiful weddings do not have to cost a lot.

PDilemma
05-30-2010, 01:14 AM
And you don't have to spend a lot to have a beautiful wedding as my good friend had demonstrated last summer. Their wedding cost within 5 grand which is amazingly cheap for North Cal and it was gorgeous. And the food was amazing. It required a lot of creativity and research but it was one of the most memorable weddings I've been to.

We are one week from our first anniversary. Our wedding was about 5 grand total and we had a full buffet and real dishes and silverware. You can do it. I think the temptation to the paper and plastic comes when you see how much caterers charge for dishes--around here it was like $1 per piece of silverware, $3 per plate, $1.50 per water glass and so on....then they add a dishwashing fee and a transporting fee and it really adds up. We did a local country club with catering on site and there were no extra charges for plates. They even got linen napkins in our wedding colors for no extra charge.

I was at a wedding in the park bring your own chair affair once as well. And the reception that followed was pot luck. The invitation instructed people what to bring by the alphabetical last name system.

IceAlisa
05-30-2010, 01:16 AM
Happy anniversary coming up, PDilemma! :cheer2:

cruisin
05-30-2010, 02:27 AM
everytime we have a thread that drifts to the wedding theme, there are wedding snobs that appear.

I would always dress in a nice dress or slacks for a wedding, but not everyone does and if the invitation isn't specific on what would be considered improper attire then you should expect that people have their own dress code rules.

I am fairly certain that many of you would be insulted to be invited to a wedding of my family members - it wouldn't require formal evening wear, wouldn't allow you to have a full open bar or an elegant sit down meal. And right now I am sunburnt so am irritable and really not willing to hear how trashy I am because of that.

Why would you think that :eek:! As I said people do things differently in different areas and different cultures. I said I've never been to a wedding that wasn't more formal, that doesn't mean I'd be insulted or put off by going to a more casual one. And I genuinely hope that no one said anything that would make you feel that they thought you are trashy because of the kind of weddings you're used to. If I said anything that would make you feel that way, I am genuinely sorry.

IceAlisa, do you mean espadrilles? - The linen shoes?

TygerLily
05-30-2010, 02:31 AM
Inevitably if I'm passing by an animal while driving/riding in the car, I moo/bark/oink/neigh/whatever. I don't know why I do this, I really don't.I did this when we passed a field of cows on a class trip once. The bus driver then announced that this was a special breed of cows that don't moo. :o

numbers123
05-30-2010, 02:37 AM
uh - I think the bus driver was trying to get the bus quiet. This granddaughter of a farmer has never heard about a cow who doesn't moo.

screech
05-30-2010, 03:08 AM
Another weird thing I do is if I'm contemplating doing (or the outcome of) something, I'll think to myself things like 'if I go without scratching any itches for x minutes then I will z or z will be the outcome.'

IceAlisa
05-30-2010, 03:09 AM
IceAlisa, do you mean espadrilles? - The linen shoes?

I wish they were espadrilles! These can be dressy. No, it was more along the lines of this: http://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/0/6/1060658-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg?

And dirty.

my little pony
05-30-2010, 03:12 AM
I wish they were espadrilles! These can be dressy. No, it was more along the lines of this: http://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/0/6/1060658-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg?

I wouldnt wear those if FEMA tossed them to me while I sat on my roof in a flood

IceAlisa
05-30-2010, 03:18 AM
I wouldnt wear those if FEMA tossed them to me while I sat on my roof in a flood

Imagine these but clearly having had better, brighter days, paired with a faded old cotton gingham dress (http://www.polyvore.com/green_gingham_dress_madras_size/thing?id=17800913). On a woman in her 40s. At a wedding. Where half the guests are Russian. :duh:

I have nothing against a gingham dress in general. Especially if it's cute and is worn at a BBQ or a kids' birthday in a park.

numbers123
05-30-2010, 03:18 AM

And dirty.

Sometimes people have to wear a certain shoe because it is the one that fits, doesn't cause pain or other reason. I know that when I have had some feet conditions or back pain, I have had to wear unfortunate shoe choices. (please don't let PL know :P)

wearing them dirt might be an entirely dfferent thing.

what does being Russian have to do with anything? How would she know what Russians would consider appropriate dress - did you send out a dress code?

IceAlisa
05-30-2010, 03:27 AM
what does being Russian have to do with anything? How would she know what Russians would consider appropriate dress - did you send out a dress code?

:shuffle: Yes, a a dress code was indicated as mentioned on the previous page.

Also, I've seen the same woman wear strappy wedge sandals on another occasion and I sincerely doubt there is anything wrong with her feet that proscribed wearing clean, decent looking shoes to a special occasion.
In fact, one of my SIL and MIL both have foot problems and each managed to find a pair of attractive (even if low-heeled) shoes.

michiruwater
05-30-2010, 03:43 AM
I'm the same way. Any time I have a mild curiosity about something, I wikipedia the hell out of it.

This is how I learned about sex :shuffle: I was 10 and sick of people beating around the bush so I went on Yahoo! and searched the term and read everything I could find.

Two years later mum asked if I needed to have "that talk" and I blithely said, "Nope." :lol