PDA

View Full Version : College football 2010: Summer means not having to pretend to attend class

Pages : [1] 2

Beefcake
05-26-2010, 01:23 AM
So we've reached that dull time of the sports year. Unless it's a Summer Olympics year, wherein there qualifications drama aplenty, nothing much is going on unless you like watching baseball, golf, or NASCAR.

Well, at least there's World Cup Soccer (nee Football) this summer to entertain the rest of the world and a few of we Noams.

Good time to talk about US Football, no? Yes!

SUMMER SINNIN':

College scene is tense with impending penalties for USC. scoll down the comments section for an eye-opener listing of transgressions under Pete Caroll (latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/05/usc-football-lane-kiffin-recruiting-deanthony-thomas-victor-blackwell-max-wittek-commitment-ncaa-.html)

The violations would result in the "death penalty" for mere mortal programs. But will the axe fall on the Trojans? No, they'll get a slap on the wrist, and get to keep the 2004 national title that is apparently in danger of being vacated. The fact that USC was emphatically dominant that season has me agreeing that a forfeiture would be wrong. However, big penalities/restrictions for the next few years ARE WARRANTED.

Oklahoma is also knee-deep in possible penalties.

Trouble - and violations - follow Michigan's coach Rodriguez like the gays follow Kathy Griffin. Just two seasons into his tenure at Big Blue, the university is self-sanctioning for RiRod's RiDiculouslness (msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/michigan-football-sanctions-itself-052510) Horrible decision to hire this careless dunderhead!

I'm torn! As a Big Tenner, I'm pissed off. But as an Ohio State fan, I'm a bit "bwahahaha". :shuffle:

SUMMER COURTIN':

The Big Ten expansion is on, baby! (www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2010-05-25-texas-notre-dame-expansion_N.htm) We've got some behind-the-sences courting -- you can just smell the bouquets and chocolates being sent down to Texas and up to South Bend. We've got some skirt-lifting by some gals ready and more-than-willing to jump into the arms of the stronger suitor (Missouri, Nebraska).

We've got pundits and "experts" making their calls. Will it be 1 team, 3 teams, 5 teams? (www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-05-18-big-ten-expansion-scenarios_N.htm?csp=obinsite)

I predict a Texas, Missouri, and Rutgers or [insert NY market inceasing prospect here] class of [2012?] ... to be announced around the holiday/bowl season this year. Resulting in a 14-school/team "Big 10". :lol: Maybe a renaming is due too for the league?

Why bother the expense and trouble of expanding if you're going to just grab one school, or add "two" plains states universities (Nebraska, Missouri) ... when one of those will capture the (smallish) television market out there?

Notre Dame of course is the big prize; but, I agree with most in that ND will just continue along the mundane course it's chosen ... yeh, the one that is decades outdated, and does not work in today's world. Good luck with that, Notre Dame!

SUMMER HYPIN':

Alabama, Ohio State, Boise State, Miami, Florida, TCU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Virginia Tech ... Sporting News' top 12 (in order). Tough Tough Tough Big Ten schedule for Ohio State and the conference's other BCS contenders to maneuver, though. Ala the SEC most of this decade, the B10 teams may be too tough for an undefeated to arise come December. And of course Alabama isn't going away. Nor the other "usual suspects", nor Boise State -- which plays one good team, so win that and their in the title discussion.

Whew, out of time to discuss predictions for the season. More later.

Beefcake
06-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Well, I'll just talk to myself then. :P

HUGE week in college football ...

1. Oregon's would-be Heisman candidate Masoli is BOOTED from college (collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/09/update-masoli-gets-booted-from-oregon/) "Masoli Ducks up again", said one football blogger.

According to the Eugene Register-Guard, Masoli was pulled over by Springfield police Monday night and hit the citation trifecta: possessing less than one ounce of marijuana, driving with a suspended license and failure to stop at a driveway or a sidewalk.

Way to go, Einstein, way to throw away gazillions of dollars and an education (for what it's worth at Oregon).

2. Notre Dame is confirmed to be in talks with the Big 10 ... possibly finally joining the conference. :respec: Many feel that ND joining the B10 may be the only way to avoid a huge chain reaction that will result in the end of the Big 12 Conference, and perhaps the Big East as well.

3. Nebraska thinks it's joining the Big 10? as early as :eek: Friday (collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/09/more-reports-have-huskers-to-big-ten-as-early-as-friday/) Wow.

But, dunno. If the B10 gets Notre Dame, it might be finished with expansion. When ya got Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and Notre Dame, ya got nationwide interest for every game ... and ya got marketing and branding $ galore. But if they get Nebraska, I'm hoping that Missouri or preferably even Texas as the 14th to even up the conference's prospective East-West divisions.

4. USC's penalties will likely be announced tomorrow (Thursday, June 10). :watch: Impact TBD!

5. Enormously talented dunce Dorsey's quest to play at U of Michigan has reached an end. Nope! (collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/09/five-star-recruit-dorsey-released-from-michigan-loi/) Of course UM coach Rodriquez is rumored to be furious at his school's standing firm an disallowing the bending of the rules for a star athlete. THE OUTRAGE! :rolleyes:

It's called "academic standards," folks. Not to worry, Dorsey is looking at entry to Louisville or Florida State (where being a student is really not a reqiurement, so booyah).

Theatregirl1122
06-10-2010, 12:25 AM
The big 10 stopping with ND seems like the only way that the Big East won't fall apart. The conference is run by people who only care about basketball. They won't make the moves necessary to hold the conference together. If a big move does happen, they will be left in the dust and any teams that didn't manage to get out will be left without a bcs bid.

For some reason I thought that the B10 had a rule that they could only add from adjacent states. If they are thinking about texas though, then that must have been a hallucination.

Beefcake
06-10-2010, 12:33 AM
^ I was just hoping big, re: Texas! Texas was never seriously considered in B10 Land (geographically and mindset "not" a match, plus travel nightmares, and perhaps "too-killer" conference competition). Nor has Texas - with the nation's richest athletic department - expressed desire. The Big 10's largess along with the largest fan base is its biggest "attaction" ... Texas needs neither, really.

But with the writing on the wall for the Big 12, Texas, along with five other B12 schools, is expected to bolt to the Pac-10 if/when Nebraska (and ostensibly Missouri) get Big 10 invitations. Update: Nebrasksa is indeed "in" with the B10, according to reports this afternoon. Whee, now the fun really begins! :watch:

Syracuse is the eastern school getting much buzz about joining the Big 10. Folks say that if B10 gets Notre Dame, with its nationwide fan base (ergo the coveted NY audience is fairly captured), then Syracuse is not needed. Or maybe, assuming Nebraska is in, the B10 says "we don't need Missouri," and goes ahead with Syracuse whether or not ND bites. Stay tuned, I suppose!

numbers123
06-10-2010, 12:46 AM
^ I was just hoping big, re: Texas! Texas was never seriously considered in B10 Land (geographically and mindset "not" a match, plus travel nightmares, and perhaps "too-killer" conference competition). Nor has Texas - with the nation's richest athletic department - expressed desire. The Big 10's largess along with the largest fan base is its biggest "attaction" ... Texas needs neither, really.

But with the writing on the wall for the Big 12, Texas, along with five other B12 schools, is expected to bolt to the Pac-10 if/when Nebraska (and ostensibly Missouri) get Big 10 invitations. Update: Nebrasksa is indeed "in" with the B10, according to reports this afternoon. Whee, now the fun really begins! :watch:

Texas, TT, OU, OSU, Texas A & M and Colorado were rumored to be joining the PAC 10. If Missouri and Nebraska leave for the B10, that leaves KSU, Kansas, Iowa State and Baylor out in the rumble.

Mr. Osborne isn't saying much - other than there will be a decision soon. I had heard rumors of NU and MU going to the B10 2 months or more ago. ETA: the regents don't meet until Friday and there is an item on the agenda. I don't know that an announcement will be made before that. On the agenda for ~ 1 pm.

reckless
06-10-2010, 01:34 AM
College scene is tense with impending penalties for USC. scoll down the comments section for an eye-opener listing of transgressions under Pete Caroll (latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/05/usc-football-lane-kiffin-recruiting-deanthony-thomas-victor-blackwell-max-wittek-commitment-ncaa-.html)
We'll discuss what the NCAA says once its report is released, but that "eye-opener" list is really a lot of BS. It's been circulating the web for months and contians a lot of false "transgressions."

Just to point out a few. The Mark Sanchez arrest turned out to be because he took a girl home and, when her parents found out, she lied to them and said it was nonconsensual. She later admitted it was consensual and when she told him to stop sex, he did. The false accusation almost derailed Sanchez's career. He was suspended from the team and was temporarily prevente from attending classes. (He was only allowed to take exams separate from other students.)

A similar thing happened to Hershel Dennis, who was accused of sexual assault, but later cleared by the DA. When the accusation was made, he was immediately suspended from the team. (Eric Wright also was never charged with a crime when police found ecstasy in his room, but he was kicked out of school, because even if the ecstasy was his roommate's, Wright should have reported it.)

The list also includes things like an April Fool's prank that Pete Carroll and Lendale White played on the team. They got into a fake argument and Carroll kicked White off the field. White then pretended to get despondent, went to a roof top and threw a dummy off the roof. Whether or not that is in bad taste, it is hardly a transgression.

The "White Nation" facebook page also was a joke. Some black players had jokingly referred to the white linebackers as "White Nation." They created the facebook page -- with deliberate misspellings -- as a joking response. They immediately apologized. Stupid and immature, but hardly a significant transgression.

The Winston Justice assault with a deadly weapon -- he waved a BB gun at someone (not for robbery). The no contest plea was for "exhibition of a replica firearm." He was still suspended for a year.

Other things are equally silly. Matt Leinart violated a NCAA rule because ESPN asked him to do a promo after an interview that said "I'm Matt Leinart and this is ESPN." Dwaye Jarrett's "failing to pay rent" was that Leinart's parents (who had money) wanted him to move into a higher security apartment after he won the Heisman and he wanted his roommate -- Jarrett -- to move with him. They worked out an arrangement whereby Leinart got the nicer room and paid more of the rent than Jarrett, something I think is pretty common when students rent places together. The NCAA decided that was a violation, and Jarrett had to pay 50% of the rent, so Jarrett paid the difference. Frankly, I still that is a silly rule.

FYI, if you really want to look at transgressions, consider the Florida Gators (http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/06/janoris-jenkinscharge-misdemeanor-affray-and-resisting-arrest-without-violence-for-his-role-in-a-may-30-fight-outside-a-down.html). That list is only through June 9. 2009. That list doesn't include Carlos Dunlap's DUI arrest (for which he was suspended only one game -- and then only after public outcry) -- or Gary Brown's arrest for hitting a woman.

Beefcake
06-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Thanks. What about the other ~80 things on that list? :P

Seriously, I believe you, and I know that things will be pumped up and embellished for the shock value and/or to make one's case ... especially in bloggerland. But "where there's smoke", well you know the saying. And that is A LOT of smoke.

UMBS Go Blue
06-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Out of the loop here - what's wrong with the Big 12 to begin with, to warrant 1/3 of the teams leaving for the Big Ten and another 1/3 leaving for the Pac 10? Wouldn't there be 2 super-large, unwieldy conferences taking the place of one super-large, unwieldy conference?

ETA: Hmmm, I guess this partly answers the question - it's about consolidating conferences to maximize TV revenues (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nebraska-20100610,0,248091.column)?

As for USC, from the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-usc-20100610,0,7548894.story):

A two-year bowl ban and a loss of more than 20 football scholarships are among the sanctions that the NCAA has dealt USC, a source with knowledge of the situation said Wednesday.

The NCAA, the governing body for collegiate sports, informed USC of its decision after a four-year investigation regarding allegations centered on former football player Reggie Bush and former basketball player O.J. Mayo. The NCAA could make its decision public as early as today.

ETA: Ooooh, it gets juicier (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/13502886/ncaa-apparently-makes-uscs-nightmare-scenario-a-reality):

The Trojans will receive a two-year postseason ban, the loss of at least 20 scholarships and a possible vacation of victories according to the reports. In play, if the reports are true, are USC's 2004 national championship and Reggie Bush's 2005 Heisman.

A former member of Pete Carroll's staff called the NCAA penalties, "a travesty," asserting that no one at the university knew of Bush's wrongdoing. The former tailback and his parents are alleged to have taken thousands of dollars and improper benefits from would-be agents. With the two-year ban, the NCAA likely has determined that Bush competed while ineligible because he took those benefits.
No I-A program has ever been stripped of a national championship.

A Heisman official said recently that Bush could lose the trophy from 2005 if he is found guilty by the NCAA.

USC's postseason ban is one of the most severe in recent memory in Division I-A football. Auburn in 1993 and Ole Miss in 1994 were given two-year bans by the NCAA.

UMBS Go Blue
06-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Trouble - and violations - follow Michigan's coach Rodriguez like the gays follow Kathy Griffin. Just two seasons into his tenure at Big Blue, the university is self-sanctioning for RiRod's RiDiculouslness (msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/michigan-football-sanctions-itself-052510) Horrible decision to hire this careless dunderhead!

I'm torn! As a Big Tenner, I'm pissed off. But as an Ohio State fan, I'm a bit "bwahahaha". :shuffle:Well, I'll eat crow as one of many fair-weather Michigan fans who called for Lloyd Carr's head. There was never any question about his integrity, or the integrity of the entire program when he was there, right? At the very least, hindsight is 20/20 when it comes to recognizing the folly of hiring Rodriguez.

BigB08822
06-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Wow, looks like USC is expected to get a 2 year postseason ban. That is much more punishment than I thought they would get, I thought they would lose some scholarships and be on probation. They will be losing scholarships (about 20) but this ban hurts the most, I am sure. Looks like they also have to forfeit some wins in 2004, how will this affect their National title? Didn't they win in 2004?

ETA: Forgot the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5267933

PDilemma
06-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Colorado's going to the Pac-10. The Texas schools will probably follow and Nebraska is expected to announce their move tomorrow. Fun times for the next two years of Big 12 schedules before the moves are actually made.

Theatregirl1122
06-10-2010, 06:46 PM
And there goes the first domino. Now we get to watch how the rest of them fall.

numbers123
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Out of the loop here - what's wrong with the Big 12 to begin with, to warrant 1/3 of the teams leaving for the Big Ten and another 1/3 leaving for the Pac 10? Wouldn't there be 2 super-large, unwieldy conferences taking the place of one super-large, unwieldy conference?

ETA: Hmmm, I guess this partly answers the question - it's about consolidating conferences to maximize TV revenues (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nebraska-20100610,0,248091.column)?

The Big 10 has its own TV network is only one of several financial reasons I have heard about the exodus to the big 10. Since Colorado has jumped ship, the rest of them will follow.

Beefcake
06-10-2010, 10:29 PM
BOOM! (sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/06/10/usc-ncaa/index.html?eref=sihp)

More severe than most had predicted for USC. 30 scholarships lost over the next three seasons with no post-season (HUGE disadvantages), and vacation of a season's worth of wins including a bowl game.

Vacation! :lol: It's usually such a good word. But, anyway, vacating wins really just means subtracting the school's overall wins. Other teams almost never pick up the "win" (see: Bobby Bowden/FSU), and ex-players certainly don't update their bios to reflect a "nothing" in place of those mammoth big wins that will be stricken from the W column at their alma mater.

:watch: The bigger stuff may still be to come ... the possible revoking of the Trojans' National Title and/or Reggie Bush's loss of his Heisman. I'd think the latter is much more likely since the violations are all about Reggie/Reggie's camp.

Since college football isn't a tournament, but rather a "mystical" championship determined by voters, there's a lot of subjectivity muddling up the picture. Wouldn't the NCAA have to order a revote versus outright removal of USC as champion? Wouldn't the "same voters" have to revote for the prospective USC dumpage ... and/or a replacement champion to be named?

The Trojans would possibly win a revote, lots of folks (like me) think. USC was VERY dominant in the season in question, and I doubt if voters would change their votes to the team that they killed in the bowl game ... or to the undefeated Auburn, who won the SEC with a fluke schedule that year.

Aaron W
06-10-2010, 10:50 PM
I wonder if the Pac 10 and Big 10 will maintain their current names regardless of the size each may soon become?

I assume both conferences would be split into two divisions: a west and an east division. In a 12 game regular season, the teams could play 9 conference games (all teams in their division and a random few from the other division) and 3 non-conference games. Then the best team from both divisions would meet in the conference championship game, the 10th conference game of the season, for the conference title. Since it would be the 10th conference game for those two teams, it could make sense to maintain the Pac 10 and Big 10 titles due to the significance of winning that 10th conference game - an automatic spot in a BCS bowl.

As for the divisions, it would seem to make sense to have an east & west division for the Pac 10, with the east consisting mostly of the former Big 12 schools:
Colorado
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Arizona (add-in)
Arizona State (add-in)

West:
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

For the Big Ten:
East:
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue

West:
Northwestern
Illinois
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska

Not sure what they'd do with Notre Dame if by chance the Big Ten was able to lure them to join the conference. It seems Notre Dame has more rivalries with the East (Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue), but if either Maryland or Rutgers were to also join the Big Ten, the East would be full. And I would still think Missouri is a Big Ten possibility (and certainly should be in the West division). Since academic performance is important to the Big Ten schools, is Nebraska really that much better academically that they would be invited, but Missouri wouldn't? Or are they relatively equal on academics and it's just the fame of the Nebraska football program that gives them the edge over Missouri?