PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finals - May 25 and 26 (All Mediocre Things Must Come To An End)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45

seafoam
09-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Adam was amazing. Killer vocals and great theatrics to tie it all together. My favorite was Fever. I was hoping he would perform Pick U Up and Mad World but he didn't.

Fever is being released as a single in several markets (New Zealand, Singapore, Phillipines) and probably more to come. Not the U.S., however. Adam talked to someone at the M&G last night, and said emphatically that is wouldn't be released in the States because radio PDs would not play it. All because he sings "There he goes, my baby walks so slow..."

This is...disheartening. But not surprising. I just hope it's a huge hit around the world.

Glad you had a great time :) From the youtube vids, it looks like it was a fantastic show. Love the skull-head staff that he was carrying in the opening medley, and the Mardi Gras masks on the dancers and band, lol.

Allskate
09-13-2010, 08:29 PM
The concert was amazing! Allison was great, she has really improved with her stage presence. I was glad to see her because it may have been my only chance. :(

Adam was amazing. Killer vocals and great theatrics to tie it all together. My favorite was Fever. I was hoping he would perform Pick U Up and Mad World but he didn't.

I'm so glad you go to go! But I'm jealous, too. :lol: I don't know if I'll ever get to see Allison in concert.

cailuj365
09-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Seafoam already mentioned this above, but this was apparently the conversation between the fan and Adam:

So, [a fan] at a M&G today told Adam, all her teenage kids friends love Fever. “Will it ever be a single in the US?” Adam said, “No, It wouldn’t get played.” The fan then asked, “What if it does really well internationally?” Adam said, “No, it doesn’t matter how well it does in other countries. It won’t ever be a single here.” The fan said, “But it’s a great dance song and one of my favorites.” He said, “One of my favorites too.. But that’s just the reality of the way it is.”

:/ Why so pessimistic, Adam? But I do understand. Reality kind of sucks sometimes.

If Adam releases a fourth U.S. single, then there will be five different singles released from the album total. That's pretty good considering the first one didn't do very well and he had a near career-killer at the beginning. :lol:

Yay, glad you had a good time, Brian. :)

PeterG
09-14-2010, 12:14 AM
:/ Why so pessimistic, Adam? But I do understand. Reality kind of sucks sometimes.

Adam didn't write the rules. He just has to play by them...

BigB08822
09-14-2010, 12:29 AM
As much as I love Fever, Sleepwalker "sounds" like a winter hit anyway. So I guess I will go with the impending release of Sleepwalker and not fret too much.

Allskate
09-14-2010, 04:04 AM
cailuj, I'm starting to be convinced of Jive's general ineptitude -- beyond their choices for Kris's singles.

Apparently, Jive is pretending that Archie's first single never existed and sent Elevator out as his "first single" today. Seriously?

I also just don't get Jive's apparent determination to make Crystal do pop and also not use her originals. Are they going to give bubblegum to someone who sings this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6B44dAseVs&feature=player_embedded

(I love that Michael Franti is sitting on the floor beside her when she sings this.)

Here are some of her performances from this weekend:

http://mjsbigblog.com/crystal-bowersox-power-to-the-peaceful-festival-more-videos.htm

I don't think she envisioned spending her life performing pure pop when she wrote Gray Haired Rock Stars:

http://www.crystal-bowersox.net/

ETA: Allison's talking about possibly singing again in Spanish: http://citylinkmix.com/music/allison-iraheta-life-after-american-idol/

cailuj365
09-14-2010, 04:40 AM
Haha, so apparently, you've convinced me and I've started to convince you. What a productive discussion!

I've listened to "Elevator," and it's a worse choice than his first one. It's something that should be a bonus track, a nice little ditty, but not a "lead" single! I understand that Archie co-wrote it and he likes it a lot, but I just don't see this working. And is it just me or does he also need to work on his falsetto? It was pretty weak in the chorus, which surprised me because Archie is someone who I consider to be one of today's better singers, lol.

Wasn't Archie's album supposed to have been released this month too? I heard that one of the reasons why they pushed it back was because the first single wasn't doing well enough to hype the album.

Are you sure that Jive is pushing Crystal to do pure pop? From the list of songwriters you mentioned, it didn't really look like a Top 40 pop record to me.

BigB08822
09-14-2010, 04:49 AM
Maybe Allison can get signed to a label that focuses and has had success with spanish pop singers. They LOVE their pop stars in Mexico. I would miss her music but maybe she could do some English releases and at least she would still be doing what she loves and making money.

Kruss
09-14-2010, 04:51 AM
Meanwhile, David Cook did another great job singing America the Beautiful before the Men's final today at the U.S. Open. He was chacked from the CBS broadcast but was streamed live on the USOpen site, so feast your ears/eyes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPb8j7iia_c).

Allskate
09-14-2010, 06:19 AM
I've listened to "Elevator," and it's a worse choice than his first one. It's something that should be a bonus track, a nice little ditty, but not a "lead" single!

I haven't heard the entire song, but the snippets were annoying. I'd change the radio station. :lol:

Are you sure that Jive is pushing Crystal to do pure pop? From the list of songwriters you mentioned, it didn't really look like a Top 40 pop record to me.

Well I don't know what "pure pop" is, but I think pretty darn poppy. :lol: Not folk pop. And not her stuff made more pop. Linda Perry probably was Jive's choice. But, I'm pretty sure Michael Franti and Melissa Etheridge were Crystal's choices, and I'm not at all sure that Jive is on board for that. Crystal has tweeted a message asking her fans if they would hate her if she did a pop song. This weekend, she asked fans to tell Jive they want her to record originals, so I'm not sure that Franti and Etheridge are really going to end up on the album. I'm pretty sure that much of what Crystal is saying is not what Jive wants. (I really doubt that Frankie May is going to make the album with her.) She pretty much admitted that Jive wanted a different direction that she did. I think that's a major reason why she will not be releasing an album this year. Jive does pop, and I'm not sure they know what to do with Crystal or want to put in the effort to find out what is best.

I'm just bummed after spending a lot of time listening to Crystal's beautiful music and thinking that she may have to record a bunch of crap she doesn't even like and probably won't do particularly well. I'm not sure Crystal really knows how to sing that well when she's really out of her zone.

But, I do still believe that Jive could not have done a whole lot more for Jordin or Archie.

cailuj365
09-14-2010, 05:18 PM
But, I do still believe that Jive could not have done a whole lot more for Jordin or Archie.

:lol: You had to throw that in there, didn't you?

Yeah, seems like Crystal was having problems with Jive. Not really surprised. Although Linda Perry has been writing a lot of pop ballads recently, let's not forget that she was in 4 Non-Blondes and did "What's Up," which is exactly what I picture Crystal image as.

I don't think Crystal would produce a Top 40 pop record (as in Kelly's or Adam's singles). She doesn't have appeal really in that area. Her image is all wrong for it. If that's what Jive is trying to do, it's going to flop from the beginning. I look at her as a younger Melissa Etheridge type of musician. The problem for Jive is that it's just not that commercial.

Allskate
09-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah, seems like Crystal was having problems with Jive. Not really surprised. Although Linda Perry has been writing a lot of pop ballads recently, let's not forget that she was in 4 Non-Blondes and did "What's Up," which is exactly what I picture Crystal image as.

Definitely. The issue is what the label wants them to produce.

I don't think Crystal would produce a Top 40 pop record (as in Kelly's or Adam's singles). She doesn't have appeal really in that area. Her image is all wrong for it. If that's what Jive is trying to do, it's going to flop from the beginning. I look at her as a younger Melissa Etheridge type of musician. The problem for Jive is that it's just not that commercial.

I'm not sure she's even Melissa Etheridge, who rocks out a lot more than Crystal does. I do think that Crystal could be commerical even doing a folk/rock/pop thing. It just wouldn't be for top 40 radio. They'd be targeting different types of radio stations and audiences. It's hard to think of Crystal's music that way because she's only done these songs with guitar and maybe bass. People are mostly listening to demos when they hear her previous music. But, add some drums and change up the arrangement a little more, and I could at least see songs like Put Your Guitar Down, Gray Haired Rock Stars, On the Run, Kiss You, Sandman, and Sunflower Sunshine making the album. Have her write with Perry, Franti, and Etheridge, and she certainly could come up with some folk/pop that would make radio alongside the likes of Jason Mraz, Colbie Caillat, Jack Johnson, Ray LaMontagne, the Avett Brothers, and Mumford & Sons. And some of these folks are doing quite well in terms of concert sales. I just can't see Crysta on radio with Usher, Rhianna, and Ke$ha, but Jive may just not know how to create and market the kind of music Crystal should be making and wants to make.

cailuj365
09-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Hahaha, I just realized that I pictured Crystal as two different people. I think you know what I mean though.

She's definitely an AAA-type of artist, but that's not what commercial means for Jive who only understand pop and rhythmic/hip hop. They probably don't even know which producers would be good for her type of music.

I think she should just go with her originals too. It would save time and money and it's something that she wants. I could picture Archie and Jordin as pop people, because they have the look for it. I know Archie's a little awkward, but he has the cute teenager look going for him. Unless they give Crystal a total style change though, it just wouldn't work, and image is half the battle on pop radio. I don't think anything is going to come of it if Jive tries to go down that path.

Aaron W
09-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Looks like JLo will become one of the new judges on AI. She reportedly has a contract worth $12 million.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/15/1825272/jennifer-lopez-12-million-for.html

Kruss
09-16-2010, 01:52 AM
Slezak's latest article:

'American Idol' MySpace auditions: Brace for 'Achy Breaky Heart,' 'Mickey,' 'Copacabana,' and 'Your Body's Callin' (http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/09/15/american-idol-myspace-auditions/)

Some of those songs. :eek: