PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finals - May 25 and 26 (All Mediocre Things Must Come To An End)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45

Allskate
09-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Heh. So, Kelly's team hasn't officially announced that it will be released this year? Darn. Well, that's a different story then.

So, word is that the new single in New Zealand is Fever. I always did like New Zealand. :D

cailuj365
09-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Yes, Allskate! You and I don't have to disagree about this anymore, because New Zealand is getting our mutual favorite FEVER as its next single. :eek: He's coming to them for a show too before his Australia stops. :cheer2: From Adam's website: (http://www.adamofficial.com/nz/news/adam-lambert-coming-new-zealand)

Next up is a new radio single ‘Fever’, and the October 4th release of a limited Tour Edition of the album which features a bonus DVD of live performances and music videos.
It's definitely the catchiest song on the album, and this would be Adam's fourth single in that country with the previous three all doing very well.

Australia, on the other hand, is getting FYE as their third single (http://auspop.blogspot.com/2010/09/next-lambert-single.html) (after WWFM and IIHY) and has already been added to radio stations there. I don't know why Australia isn't just skipping FYE and getting Fever as well.

I'm not sure about Finland, Canada, or the US. IIHY is still climbing in all of those countries. With WWFM still a single in parts of Europe, he has four different singles out there in the world at the same time. lol

In other news, Kris and Allison's publicist, Gina Orr, has left 19 (http://twitter.com/ginaorr/status/23166731947) to start her own company and will manage Crystal. :huh:

Allskate
09-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Australia, on the other hand, is getting FYE as their third single (http://auspop.blogspot.com/2010/09/next-lambert-single.html) (after WWFM and IIHY) and has already been added to radio stations there. I don't know why Australia isn't just skipping FYE and getting Fever as well.

I've always preferred New Zealand to Australia. :D

In other news, Kris and Allison's publicist, Gina Orr, has left 19 (http://twitter.com/ginaorr/status/23166731947) to start her own company and will manage Crystal. :huh:

I saw that. It's probably good for Crystal to have one person who is dedicated to her, and Crystal presumably already feels comfortable with her and likes her or she wouldn't have chosen her as manager. I assume Orr has lots of contacts in radio and tv, which is a good thing. I think the bigger question with regard to Crystal is what Jive is going to do with her album. I'm not sure yet if I can make it, but I'm going to try to see Crystal perform this weekend. I'll be curious to see which songs she chooses to sing. I hope she does some of her originals.

Kruss
09-07-2010, 01:00 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if there are more shakeups at 19/RCA/Sony due to Idol switching from the Sony label to Universal.

AlexDSSF
09-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Some Idol thoughts:

I really don't like The X Factor, and am not excited at all for its American premiere next year. I haven't forgiven Simon Cowell for effectively killing off Pop Idol in Great Britain, and replacing it with his pet project. I think that had the show been handled properly, Pop Idol would still be on the air. Now, it's as if the show never existed. I also feel bad that Will Young, the man whose victory pretty much paved the way for everything Idol (as well as everything X Factor and Got Talent), has been practically shoved off the map. He hasn't been promoted internationally, and I feel that he has the talent to be a world-wide star. I wonder how the likes of Leona Lewis, Joe McWhatever, Olly Murs, Diana Vickers, and Alexandra Burke would have fared in an Idol format. I think that X Factor should be limited to duos and groups and those who otherwise would not have been eligible for Idol, but that's just me.

I haven't really enjoyed Idol since the 2007 season. The past three seasons (2010 included) have been some of the worst television that I have ever seen. The only person that I have truly enjoyed is Adam Lambert. Adam is perhaps THE best male contestant in the show's history, bar none. And who have the past three winners been? Relatively milquetoast white guys with guitars. I never liked David Cook and Lee DeWyze, and Kris Allen was just okay. And as for Crystal Bowersox and David Archuleta, I never liked them either. Crystal wasn't that impressive, and David was too much of a squeaky-clean Mormon boy from Utah whom everyone got wet over. It wasn't always like this, though. The first three seasons were ethnically and musically diverse, and a lot more entertaining.

My hopes for the 2011 season are as follows: that the shows returns to its roots and rediscovers the magic that made it an initial success, that the roster of semifinalists is strong across the board (this means no filler contestants), that ALL musical styles are appreciated (not just the commercially viable ones), that they have better theme nights in the finals (I'd love to see a Madonna night), that they show some semblance of personality (the 2010 season was devoid of ANY personality), and that the winner get a contract worthy of being an Idol.

Also: I don't want to hear any more talk of "being an artist" and "artistry" and "uniqueness" and crap like that. What are they expecting the contestants to do? Come to audition with a portfolio or something outlining who they are as a performer, who they are as a person, and a plan of action for the next five to ten years or so? You cannot force artistry. Let whatever art is in the contestant flow as naturally as possible within the confines of Idol. Not everyone is on the same musical path, you know. And besides, no one is truly unique.

As for the judges, I still like Randy Jackson. I was okay with Kara DioGuardi, but I'm glad that she's out. Ellen DeGeneres had no business being a judge. I never liked Simon Cowell, even though I recognize his contributions to the show. At least Nigel Lythgoe has the experience of being a dancer to help him on SYTYCD, even if he comes off as a major b-word. Simon has only been a producer and songwriter. What does he know directly about singing and performing? I don't know who will join the judging panel, but I hope that whoever it is will add their own flavor to the panel, and hopefully help in reviving the show to some extent.

Allskate
09-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there are more shakeups at 19/RCA/Sony due to Idol switching from the Sony label to Universal.

Yeah. Some of those 19R folks might go over to Universal, but I think some of them might take the opportunity to move on to something else. There's probably going to be more changes at 19E as well as things change at Idol.

Jim Cantiello from MTV has nothing but good things to say about Gina Orr. He posted this at MJ's:

"Gina’s a pro. She has TONS of experience that will serve her well as Crystal’s manager. On a personal level, she’s one of my fave peeps in the industry to deal with. Very accommodating, always honest. Crazy hard-working. (And I’m not the only one at my job who adores her.) I wish her the best and know she’s going to knock it out of the park."

It's always to good to have a manager or publicist that folks in the industry like and respect.

Beefcake
09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Idol fans, I truly feel for you. I could not sit through this (scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-5/steven-tyler-1.jpg) for two, three, four hours a week for X weeks. Some serious freakshow going on with Tyler's mug. I like the guy, but ... not enough to watch him, close-in, in HD.

PrincessLeppard
09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
I don't think he's mentally stable at the moment. I'm shocked he's a serious contender (or already has????) this job.

And, yes, he's skary. :yikes:

Allskate
09-08-2010, 03:02 AM
I don't think he's mentally stable at the moment. I'm shocked he's a serious contender (or already has????) this job.

I know! And wasn't he just in rehab? Maybe they think that he'll be a train wreck and people will tune in to see that.

Joe Perry is really ticked off at Tyler:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/Aerosmith+heads+into+Calgary+amid+band+dispute/3488237/story.html

I'm guessing he won't be tuning in to watch the show:

Asked about his thoughts on American Idol, the hit TV show that has become a threat to his beloved band, Perry pulls no punches.

"It's a reality show designed to get people to watch that station and sell advertising," he says dismissively. "It's one step above (Teenage Mutant) Ninja Turtles.

cailuj365
09-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Aaaaaaand it's official:

Allison Irateta parts ways with Jive Records (http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/09/08/allison-iraheta-jive-records/)

Allskate
09-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Aaaaaaand it's official:

Allison Irateta parts ways with Jive Records (http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/09/08/allison-iraheta-jive-records/)

But she remains signed with 19R. Hmmm. I wonder if they are thinking of moving her to one of the Universal labels.

cailuj365
09-09-2010, 04:45 AM
But she remains signed with 19R. Hmmm. I wonder if they are thinking of moving her to one of the Universal labels.

That'd be good. They have much better radio success than Jive/RCA. With better radio exposure, she'll be more heard, more seen, more known, etc.

Although, I think Allison herself also just doesn't connect very well to the public. Her TV performances have been mediocre and have resulted in almost no sales bump. DWTP didn't even crack Top 1000 on iTunes after the SYTYCD performance, and that's a really solid pop-rock song. Along a similar vein, some of her best performances on Idol still resulted her being in the bottom group.

I think Allison should regroup or something and come back with guns blazing in her early 20s. She's got time. :)

cailuj365
09-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Katy is a totally different story. She is not a big album seller but she can move singles as well as anyone. There was nothing unexpected about Katy's opening numbers for her album, this was expected and they did the right thing with releasing all those singles leading up to the album, it helped her sell more than she would have, IMO.

I was reading some old posts, and I actually think that Katy will almost certainly go platinum eventually. Having multiple multi-platinum singles does make a difference unless your name is Jason DeRulo. Ke$ha is another big "singles" seller who opened with even smaller album numbers than Katy, but after four massive singles, she is very close to reaching platinum now. These days, just getting to gold is an accomplishment.

Something needs to be fixed at Jive. No one is doing well over there. Idol did the right thing by getting the hell out of there. Who would want to sign with them now?

BigB08822
09-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Yes, going gold IS an accomplishment these days. People have to greatly alter their expectations when it comes to album sales these days. Hitting platinum means you are either a HUGE name or you had insanely successful singles and backed it up with lots of promotion. Just for reference, back in 2005 Kelly Clarkson was the biggest name in pop music and Breakaway went on to sell 6 million copies (not all in 2005, of course). These days we see someone with the same type of single success and name recognition truly struggle to break 2 million! This type of drastic decline has only taken 5 years to happen!

cailuj365
09-09-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm aware of how good album sales used to be, but obviously, this is not 2005. In 2010, Katy actually is a big album seller, so I didn't understand your point that she wasn't, unless you were comparing her to 2005 standards. Even though she sold less than 200k the first week, I'm pretty sure that she'll continue to have steady sales and reach platinum eventually. To have a platinum album and several multi-platinum singles is pretty awesome. A purely singles artist to me is someone like Taio Cruz or Jason DeRulo.

The fact is that singles are trumping albums, and iTunes even got rid of the CD in their icon. It's about the hit song these days, not the album. The price of technology.