PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finals - May 25 and 26 (All Mediocre Things Must Come To An End)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45

PrincessLeppard
09-04-2010, 02:05 PM
And yet Melissa Etheridge's "Come To My Window" with a female pronoun got (and still gets) lots of airplay on radio.

That's because lesbianism is perceived as "hot," while two guys together is "squicky." :rolleyes:

I never even noticed that about Etheridge's song. Shows how much I pay attention to her. :shuffle:

Allskate
09-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Ding dong, the witch is officially gone (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100904/ap_en_mu/us_tv_american_idol_dioguardi).

That's good news. Now they just have to tell us who is actually going to be a judge.

I just don't think Sleepwalker is a particularly good song. My vote is for Fever or Music Again for the next single.

cailuj365
09-04-2010, 05:50 PM
I like Sleepwalker more than Already Gone, if only because there's a cool guitar solo in the former. I didn't know Ryan Tedder was even aware of the concept of electric guitars. Otherwise, the two songs are about equal to me. Adam has a modified and kickass live rendition too, but they don't play live versions on the radio and they could very well edit out the guitar solo too.

...but even so, it's still the best radio single choice. I like it better than IIHY, tbh.

New Zealand is getting a new single, but they're not saying what it is yet. I'm guessing Australia and Canada will follow considering how well Adam has done there. If it's not Sleepwalker or Fever, I will be shocked.

Music Again is a good album song, but it would bomb as a single, I think. It's just so 80s, and not in a good way, more like in a kitschy way.

I can't remember who tweeted this but I did read somewhere that someone got official confirmation from FOX that J.Lo was in as a judge.

Allskate
09-04-2010, 06:19 PM
...but even so, it's still the best radio single choice. I like it better than IIHY, tbh.

I prefer Already Gone and I thought Tedder already was ripping himself off there. Sleepwalker may not be quite as blatant, but it seems so already done.

Music Again is a good album song, but it would bomb as a single, I think. It's just so 80s, and not in a good way, more like in a kitschy way.

Bulletproof from La Roux has an eighties vibe and it did really well. At least it would be a little different and would not be seen as a Ryan Tedder song or a Pink song. Fever still would be my first choice. Why choose to sign Adam and then be so conservative in singles choices. I'm not saying they need to go as far as the AMA performance, but I think their singles choices have been lame since then.

I can't remember who tweeted this but I did read somewhere that someone got official confirmation from FOX that J.Lo was in as a judge.

There have been lots of reports supposedly confirming both J.Lo and Tyler, but I don't think there has been any official word from Idol or Fox.

PrincessLeppard
09-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Bulletproof from La Roux has an eighties vibe and it did really well.

The first time I heard that song, I was wondering why I didn't know it. I knew all the dance-pop songs from the 80s and was totally confused. I wass :eek: when I found out it was new. I like it, though. :)

My sister calls "Music Again" a Rick Springfield song (it reminds me a bit of "Human Touch"), but it's still an awesome song and everyone dances to it at the show.

cailuj365
09-04-2010, 10:06 PM
I prefer Already Gone and I thought Tedder already was ripping himself off there. Sleepwalker may not be quite as blatant, but it seems so already done.

Bulletproof from La Roux has an eighties vibe and it did really well. At least it would be a little different and would not be seen as a Ryan Tedder song or a Pink song. Fever still would be my first choice. Why choose to sign Adam and then be so conservative in singles choices. I'm not saying they need to go as far as the AMA performance, but I think their singles choices have been lame since then.

And have Fever just be seen as another Gaga song? To be honest, I really don't think many people even know who writes which songs. Unless someone goes to look it up, they just enjoy the song (or not) and associate it with whoever releases it.

I had vastly different reactions when I listened to Bulletproof and Music Again for the first time. Bulletproof, which I love, is 80s in the good way and sounds a lot more current than Music Again, which has some of corniest lyrics and has this really dated instrumentation at parts. It's kind of charming, but just kind of silly too. The beat in Bulletproof is also really good.

Ryan Tedder does repeatedly rip himself off...but people seem to buy his songs like candy, so does it really matter? I thought we were done with the Ryan Tedder ballad sound for awhile too, but then "Impossible" came out and went Top 10. It's not by Ryan Tedder, but it might as well have been. I like Adam's album a lot, but there's only about like 4 or 5 songs on there that I think the Top 40 radio audience would want to listen to and would then buy. Why waste money trying to convince radio to play something that doesn't seem like a good Top 40 match to begin with? And then kill the momentum going into a second album?

Speaking of not good Top 40 matches, I think Kris' second single has officially flopped. I really do not know why Jive decided to choose "The Truth" when they were a lot of other good, catchy, and upbeat tracks to choose from. Releasing the music video so late seemed to be a mistake too. I really don't get why they made some of those decisions.

There have been lots of reports supposedly confirming both J.Lo and Tyler, but I don't think there has been any official word from Idol or Fox.

Yeah, I know, just saying what someone tweeted. I wish I could remember who it was. I think it was some news blog or whatever. Last I heard though, J.Lo was out, so the fact that she's "back in" was news to me.

Allskate
09-05-2010, 12:23 AM
And have Fever just be seen as another Gaga song?

I don't think people would see it as just another Gaga song, and they wouldn't think of it the same way people have begun thinking of Tedder as just churning out a bunch of similar songs. AFAIK, Gaga isn't known for writing for a bunch of singers and giving them all similar sounds and making them seem like record label clones that are just part of the label machine. To the extent people associated the song with Gaga, it would be seen as a good thing. And, at least, Music Again is different, even if you in particular don't think it's different in a good way. (I think a lot of people would think it was fun and catchy and like it, and I think it would start off well in Europe and then catch on here, much the way Gaga and La Roux did, only easier since Adam already is known here and has had decent success with two songs.)

In any event, I don't pretend to understand the singles choices for either Adam or Kris. I thought The Truth was a phenomenally stupid choice made even stupider by reworking it to include Pat Monahan on the vocals.

Any word on when David Cook or Kelly Clarkson will release albums?

Kruss
09-05-2010, 05:11 AM

David's album will come out in early 2011, he's still working on it. :sekret: say it's going more slowly because he's taking his time to get this one right, he's got more control over this one. :D

BigB08822
09-05-2010, 05:18 AM

I know Kelly is planning on releasing by the end of the year. However, a lot of us think that is seemingly less and less likely as her single should be out about now if that was the case. I guess it remains to be seen but I am thinking a release early in 2011 is more and more likely.

cailuj365
09-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I really don't think Music Again can be hit in Europe or the U.S. Let's just leave it at that.

Hmm, I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means, but Allison was taken off Jive's artist roster on their website this morning: http://www.jiverecords.com/artists :(

Allskate
09-05-2010, 04:50 PM
David's album will come out in early 2011, he's still working on it. :sekret: say it's going more slowly because he's taking his time to get this one right, he's got more control over this one. :D

I'm skeptical about the amount of control he will have, but am glad he's able to spend more time on this album.

I know Kelly is planning on releasing by the end of the year. However, a lot of us think that is seemingly less and less likely as her single should be out about now if that was the case. I guess it remains to be seen but I am thinking a release early in 2011 is more and more likely.

I don't think her single needs to be out already in order for her album to be released this year. In a time when people tend to just download singles instead of buying albums, it's not a good idea to release singles too far ahead of the album or else too many people already have just bought the single or are tired of it already. There has been speculation that Katy Perry sabotaged her album sales by releasing California Gurls too early.

Hmm, I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means, but Allison was taken off Jive's artist roster on their website this morning: http://www.jiverecords.com/artists :(

I wouldn't be surprised if she's been dropped. :( She just hasn't sold very well. I think they've struggled to market her. It might be a good thing for her to spend a few years growing as a person and artist, maybe form a band, and then release an album as an adult.

cailuj365
09-05-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't think her single needs to be out already in order for her album to be released this year. In a time when people tend to just download singles instead of buying albums, it's not a good idea to release singles too far ahead of the album or else too many people already have just bought the single or are tired of it already. There has been speculation that Katy Perry sabotaged her album sales by releasing California Gurls too early.

I think Kelly has some time left to still release a single, but I do think a good lead single is absolutely necessary to create buzz and awareness that a new album is dropping. Katy should have released her album when California Gurls was still going strong instead of waiting for Teenage Dream, but if she had released her album before people had heard of California Gurls, her sales would have been way worse. I do think Katy's album will go platinum eventually though.

I wouldn't be surprised if she's been dropped. :( She just hasn't sold very well. I think they've struggled to market her. It might be a good thing for her to spend a few years growing as a person and artist, maybe form a band, and then release an album as an adult.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised either, but it just sucks if it happened while she was still on tour and having a good time.

BigB08822
09-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Kelly is still an album seller, though. She still needs a big lead single. Her last album sold almost 300,000 in its first week and that was for a March release. I don't think her single should be out NOW but usually there would be buzz or rumors and we have had nothing. There is still time, but it is quickly running out. I am also just going by what the label has always done for Kelly.

Katy is a totally different story. She is not a big album seller but she can move singles as well as anyone. There was nothing unexpected about Katy's opening numbers for her album, this was expected and they did the right thing with releasing all those singles leading up to the album, it helped her sell more than she would have, IMO.

I guess Allison has been dropped. :( I hope this doesn't mean anything bad for the Adam Lambert show. I hope she is still going to open, I assume her contract is through a certain time. I just keep remembering that radio commercial that still used Orianthi's name. :eek: This isn't totally bad for Allison. She had a great album if anyone had just listened to it (I know plenty of us did) but she needs more time to mature. I think she should work hard and write a lot and in a few years I think she could make an amazing re-entry to the business.

Allskate
09-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Katy is a totally different story. She is not a big album seller but she can move singles as well as anyone. There was nothing unexpected about Katy's opening numbers for her album, this was expected and they did the right thing with releasing all those singles leading up to the album, it helped her sell more than she would have, IMO.

She sold more singles of "Teenage Dream" than she sold albums the week of the album release,and she already had sold a bunch of those Teenage Dream singles before that. To me, that's a sign that her singles are taking away from album sales. California Gurls had been out so long that most people who wanted it would have bought it already.

ITA that Kelly needs a single out to make sure people know she has an album coming out, but I don't think she needs it out three months in advance. Because of her track record, I think the radio adds should be pretty quick. I just heard KT Tuntall's new single for the first time today and her CD comes out in a month. I think that's a good amount of time -- 4 to 6 weeks. (I'm not sure the song is all that great, though.) I think it might have been good for Sara Bareilles to release her album a couple of weeks ago. I just heard the Santana and Robert Plant singles for the first time last week and their albums are coming out this month, but they're the time of artists whose fans buy albums, so they just need people to know about the album, not even to love the singles. Anyway, if Kelly has said that she is releasing her album this year, I think it's very likely. I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

As for Allison, I don't think the record label deal has anything to do with the tour. It would be bad to promote a show with Allison and then not have her be there; some people who bought tickets would be really ticked off. I feel bad for her that things haven't worked out with the album, but it's just hard to market a teenager who has her look and sound. Jordin is much more of the teen pop idol type.

BigB08822
09-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Well Kelly's albums have never come out on time. So even though she has said it was coming out this year, past releases indicate it will be out later than announced. Of course, it is also important to note that she hasn't given anything "official" but has just said what they were aiming for and planning on. So if it doesn't come out this year, it isn't like they lied to us or anything.