PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finals - May 25 and 26 (All Mediocre Things Must Come To An End)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45

Allskate
08-30-2010, 11:20 PM
I think Crystal is wise in wanting to wait until the Spring. Jive made the same mistake last year with Allison. They rushed her album (which, IMO, is the best Idol debut album of all!) but the content wasn't the problem. The timing was all wrong with releases from Kris and Adam. Her single was sent to radio way to close to the holiday freeze and never got a good shot. Without a single, how will a debut album go anywhere? Crystal should wait until the Spring, IMO.

I agree that Allison's debut album is great. But, I'm not convinced that she would have gotten radio play even if they had waited. She didn't get much radio play with any of her singles. They're just having problems marketing her.

With Crystal, it's hard to say what would be best. On the one hand, it's a great idea to seize the moment and take advantage of holidays purchasing. OTOH, is she hasn't even started recording, she not only might be without a single to push before radio starts playing holiday music, but also might not put together the best album. This is especially true if they haven't even settled on a direction for the album yet. But, it could be that they're just planning on recording over twenty songs in a variety of styles and then choosing the direction based on those songs. They don't even have to have nailed down the album direction before they release the single if they record a really great song that they think would work as a single. There are singers that could be marketed as country or alt country that release singles on non-country radio. Carrie Underwood has done it. So have Lady Antebellum and Taylor Swift. From listening to the Avett Brothers on the radio, I had no idea that they had bluegrass roots. I can see Crystal taking an approach like The Avett Brothers, Sheryl Crow, Patty Griffin, The Drive-by Truckers/Jason Isbell, etc. and doing kind of a fusion of folk, country, and pop and rock. Will she be huge like Kelly or Carrie? No, but she could do as well as Elliott or Kellie.

BigB08822
08-31-2010, 05:47 AM
Does anyone know if Allison is still opening for Adam on tour? I thought she was because I read an article saying her run was extended through the end of September but on the radio they did a local commercial for the upcoming concert and only mentioned Orianthi. I could care less about Orianthi and I absolutely love Allison! I hope they got it wrong in the commercial!

Allskate
08-31-2010, 07:28 AM
Brian, according to her web site, Allison will be on tour with Adam through New Orleans.

cailuj365
08-31-2010, 02:06 PM
That's actually very strange, because I think Orianthi has left the tour at this point. Allison is the only opening act now.

BigB08822
08-31-2010, 05:24 PM
I sure hope you are all right! My local radio stations hasn't a clue most of the time so I would not be surprised to find out they didn't know what they were talking about. I was just worried that maybe a sudden conflict came up with Allison's schedule and Orianthi had to fill in for her or something.

Kruss
09-01-2010, 04:57 AM
If anyone is interested, my pix from the Idol tour show this past Saturday (Chicago) are up: http://www.flickr.com/photos/songkat/sets/72157624833151756/

(Sorry about the watermark, but I had to do that for all my photography.)

I was on the second level, so I was pleased with how some of them came out with the 20x zoom and uncertain lighting. Casey, Crystal and Lee presented a challenge because they never stopped moving. But I got 'em anyway.

Allskate
09-02-2010, 05:39 PM
So, I heard on the radio this morning that Crystal is going to be performing at a music festival near me that has Michael Franti as the headliner. Maybe they'll sneak in a songwriting session while they're together.

When they mentioned her as one of the performers, one of the DJs responded "Who?" (Most of the Idols don't fit the station's format and I don't think they follow the show.) So, I think this festival will be a good chance for her to get exposure to people who aren't at all familiar with her and won't first learn about her in the context of Idol.

Kruss
09-04-2010, 04:13 AM
Ding dong, the witch is officially gone (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100904/ap_en_mu/us_tv_american_idol_dioguardi).

BigB08822
09-04-2010, 04:31 AM
I still don't understand how they are going to do the audition rounds since the judges are STILL not decided and all but one of the cities have completed auditions. Are they going to go back and redo the auditions when the judges are finalized, and use that footage? They can call back in the goofs and the ones who made it through. I can't see any other option without them totally reformatting how they air the initial auditions.

For the record, I think the judges have been chosen for quite a long time now but this is all part of the publicity machine. This has been planned from the beginning, IMO.

Kruss
09-04-2010, 04:37 AM
I still don't understand how they are going to do the audition rounds since the judges are STILL not decided and all but one of the cities have completed auditions. Are they going to go back and redo the auditions when the judges are finalized, and use that footage? They can call back in the goofs and the ones who made it through. I can't see any other option without them totally reformatting how they air the initial auditions.

For the record, I think the judges have been chosen for quite a long time now but this is all part of the publicity machine. This has been planned from the beginning, IMO.

There are several audition rounds that whittles the crowd down to maybe 100 or so, and those are the ones the big judges face. But the show edits it as if the first round is in front of the big judges.

BigB08822
09-04-2010, 04:53 AM
There are several audition rounds that whittles the crowd down to maybe 100 or so, and those are the ones the big judges face. But the show edits it as if the first round is in front of the big judges.

Ok, the way I understood it was that only a few select people ever make it in front of the judges but that it still happened when the cities were hosting auditions. I never knew they came back to the city or filmed in LA and made it seem like they were in Dallas (for example).

Sally1214
09-04-2010, 07:24 AM
I also skip Sleepwalker. It is such a typical Ryan Tedder track with way too much repetition in the chorus. (ex: I wanna see your Halo Halo Halo, Halo Halo Haloooooo, I'm already gone, already gone, already goooonnne, Love is like a battlefield, battlefield, battlefield....)

Hmmmm ...... "halo, halo, halo, haloooooooa," "I'm already gone, already gone, already goooone," and "Love is like battlefield, battlefield, battlefield" ...... all HUGE hits.

By all means, skip it if you want, but I predict "Sleepwalker" will be Adam's next single and has a really great shot at surpassing the success of "Whataya Want From Me" to become his most successful single from his debut album. (I'm with Jay Leno on this one).

I also LOVE "Fever." It's AWESOME ... best on the cd, IMO. But, then there's the "he" pronoun in the first lyric line ... and ... (sigh) .... there IS this issue of homophobia in America and DJs who won't play such (gasp) lyrics ... so, I don't think it'll be a single. And what a freakin' shame that is.

BigB08822
09-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Hmmmm ...... "halo, halo, halo, haloooooooa," "I'm already gone, already gone, already goooone," and "Love is like battlefield, battlefield, battlefield" ...... all HUGE hits.

Of course they are huge hits. I didn't make any remark about their success and as a huge Kelly Clarkson fan I adore Already Gone! I'm just saying it is getting quite repetitive and he needs to change it up a bit! Sleepwalker, for me, is not as good of a song as any of those three, anyway, not even close.

Kruss
09-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Ok, the way I understood it was that only a few select people ever make it in front of the judges but that it still happened when the cities were hosting auditions. I never knew they came back to the city or filmed in LA and made it seem like they were in Dallas (for example).

The contestants who make it through the initial rounds have to go back to the city/venue they auditioned in for the big judges' round. The clips are edited for the show to make it seem like it's the same day. When we see the venues filled with tens of thousands of people for the audition, that is in the spring, but the actual auditions in front of the big judges take place in the fall. That's why there's still (a little bit of) time for them to name the new judges before the final audition rounds begin later this month.

When David Cook auditioned in the spring of 2007 in Omaha, he was dressed very differently than when he went back a few months later in the early fall to audition in front of the big judges. What we saw on TV (the red streak in his hair, the sweater vest) was his final audition in front of Simon, Paula and Randy.

After the first round when David made it through but his brother Andrew didn't (the video is erroneously labeled as "right after David got his golden ticket to Hollywood) - this actually happened in the spring. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0sbTZjvJUw&feature=related)

Interview after the audition with the big judges (this video is erroneously labeled as "1st audition", but it took place on October 6, 2007). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeLd75PXTCQ&feature=related)

Kruss
09-04-2010, 01:47 PM
But, then there's the "he" pronoun in the first lyric line ... and ... (sigh) .... there IS this issue of homophobia in America and DJs who won't play such (gasp) lyrics ... so, I don't think it'll be a single. And what a freakin' shame that is.

And yet Melissa Etheridge's "Come To My Window" with a female pronoun got (and still gets) lots of airplay on radio.