PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finals - May 25 and 26 (All Mediocre Things Must Come To An End)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Murdoch
08-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Years ago they talked DebORAH Gibson (that still makes me laugh - Debbie - Debbie Gibson!)

rfisher
08-12-2010, 07:58 PM
All their prospects must have fallen through since Fox was all prepared to make the big announcement two weeks ago, and now it'll be sometime in the future. :lol: Maybe the rats sense a sinking ship.

Murdoch
08-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Enter the possibility of Shania Twain...

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2010/08/12/15006476.html

PeterG
08-13-2010, 12:55 AM
I can't imagine that they could get Shania Twain. You need somebody past their prime (at least as far as the judge representing the artist).

Shania's last studio CD (2002's "Up!") has sold over 11 million copies in the U.S. and over 20 million worldwide. Since then, she's only releasesed a Greatest Hits album (4 times platinum in the U.S. and up to 15 million copies sold worldwide), so the public will be really hungry for a new release, which, if she tours, could keep her busy for two or more years.

I don't see any Up!-side (sorry...) for her to take a judging gig on American Idol unless they offer her more money than Simon, Paula, Randy and Kara combined.

BigB08822
08-23-2010, 03:26 AM
I am currently waiting patiently for an Ebay auction to get closer to the end so I can bid on 2 tickets to see Adam Lambert in New Orleans in a few weeks. I had no idea he was coming! New Orleans was not on his original tour list and I think I even saw an updated tour schedule that didn't have it so either I completely missed it or he has been adding dates periodically. I wish I knew sooner because there are only crap seats left on TicketBastard. If I can win this Ebay auction I will be happy, there is only 1 bid so far and the price is lower than it would cost on TM and with free shipping. I really would like to go but I wont sit at the very back for the same price as those sitting at the front.

Allskate
08-23-2010, 03:43 AM
Brian, if you don't get those seats from e-bay, then keep checking with ticketmaster the week leading up to the show. They sometimes end up releasing good seats the week of the show.

Peter, Shania may think being on tv every week for four months will help her with her singing career, especially if it has been eight years since her last big CD. There's no reason she can't record while judging and then promote and tour the other part of the year. I think I would prefer her to J-Lo. I would think that Tyler would be a loose cannon that Fox would not want on live tv, but it sounds like they want him.

It's sounding more and more like Crystal may really not release her album until next year. In an new interview, it's clear that she's in the very early stages of planning the album. She hasn't done any of the co-writing yet, and she says that the songs she's been writing lately are most appropriate for country, but she doesn't think her label wants her to do country. (I could see her doing alt country, but would prefer that she lean more towards pop/rock with folk influences. I could see her playing on radio stations along with songs by the likes of Sheryl Crow, Melissa Etherdige, and Ray LaMontegne.)

Casey's in the opposite situation. He is signed with Sony Nashville, but is making clear that it isn't going to be traditional country. He says it will be a mix of country, rock, and blues. But, it's not clear whether he means all those influences will be in each song or if he means that the CD will have some country songs, some blues songs, and some rock songs. He won't release his album until next year, but he's in the process of working on picking producers and co-writers.

BigB08822
08-23-2010, 04:22 AM
I won the Ebay auction! I got 2 tickets that looks quite decent for a good $20 cheaper than it would have been on TM after fees. :)

cailuj365
08-23-2010, 04:55 AM
Oooh, yay, this thread is alive again!

Yay, I'm glad you won, Brian! I hope you have a good time. :) I don't remember when they added New Orleans, but I think it was one of the later additions.

I'm a little jealous of the concertgoers for the second half of Adam's tour. 1) Orianthi is no longer on the tour, so less waiting time. And 2) He has a new encore, "20th Century Boy" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdOQV4pdX5I) (starts 3:15), one of my favorite songs ever and a glam rock classic. And you never know, end up in the first row and you may even get a kiss. ;) I think that may be my favorite performance from Adam. Perfect song for him, insane rock vocals, guitar shredding, gratuitous kissing with random boy and girl fans, clothes nearly ripped off, and writhing on the stage to end it all! :smokin: Can you imagine if that happened on American Idol? :eek: :lol:

In other news, Adam has an official fan club website (http://adamlambertfans.com/) now. You have to pay to access it after September 1. I think he's going to release an acoustic EP soon too. Not sure when though. Australian fans get a live concert DVD too, I hear. I honestly hope that gets released to American fans too. I can't imagine why they wouldn't.

Kris Allen's music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8y4Ajauu-Y) for his second single, "The Truth," was released on Monday. I think it's really pretty. I like it!
Archie released his music video for "Something 'Bout Love" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhRvd0bzIoE) too recently. It's cute. I like it too. :)

RCA just announced that Lee's album is coming out November 16. For some reason, I thought that they were trying to release Lee's album in October, but I must be remembering wrong or things are taking more time. An October release date would probably be too difficult with the time constraints.

I'm surprised that Crystal's album may be coming out next year. I think a lot of the album work comes in September/October, so it could still get released before the year is done. Whatever works for her though. I'd prefer it to not be country either. I'm kind of interested in Casey's album. Ever since you posted those links, Allskate... :cool: I think he'll find better success in country than Danny Gokey did. It seems more of a natural fit for him, and as a result, he seems more marketable for it.

Allskate
08-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Congrats Brian! Let us know how you enjoy the show.

Perfect song for him, insane rock vocals, guitar shredding, gratuitous kissing with random boy and girl fans, clothes nearly ripped off, and writhing on the stage to end it all! :smokin: Can you imagine if that happened on American Idol? :eek: :lol:

At least it would drive up buzz and be a lot more interesting than this past season!

Thanks for all the updates. I've been on vacation and out of the AI loop. I'd love an acoustic EP from Adam. I always preferred his more restrained performances on Idol. I'd be surprised if they limited the DVD to Australia. It would just get pirated here if they did that.

I'll have to check out Kris' new video.

I think that Lee did say at one point that the release date would be October, but that never sounded very realistic to me.

I'm surprised that Crystal's album may be coming out next year. I think a lot of the album work comes in September/October, so it could still get released before the year is done.

I really thought that it would come out this year, but if they don't even know the basic direction for the album yet and haven't written several of the key songs, it seems less likely.

I'm kind of interested in Casey's album. Ever since you posted those links, Allskate... :cool: I think he'll find better success in country than Danny Gokey did. It seems more of a natural fit for him, and as a result, he seems more marketable for it.

Yeah, the Casey on Idol is a totally different guy than the Casey on tour and in the home town visits. That could be a problem for him since most people have not seen him at his best or doing much rock or blues. I doubt I'd be very interested in Casey's album if I had seen only what he did on Idol. I do think that he will have no problem being accepted in country. He started off doing country-- unless you count his very first performance, which was Malaguena! He played guitar and mandolin on his mother's country album. He knows country very well. He tweets a song of the day and a number of them are country, though some are more alt country like Lucinda Williams or Patty Griffin. But, he really loves rock and blues. I think if he uses Texas as his theme, he can appeal to a broad audience. Texas blues like Stevie Ray. Some southern rock. And then some Texas country, kind of like Ryan Bingham, to appeal to those who like songs like "Don't." He seems to really be stressing that it's not going to be traditional country, so I'm cautiously optiminstic that I might like it. I love rocking blues and there's a little bit of alt country I like. So, I think I could end up liking a fair portion of the album. We'll have to see what direction they take him in.

BigB08822
08-23-2010, 05:53 PM
I just can not see Crystal's album coming out this year if they are still trying to write songs. Kelly's album is hoping for a late release this year and she has been recording like the crazy the last month or two. We are still unsure if her album will make it and she is much further along in the process. Crystal would probably benefit from coming out after the rush of releases that happen in the fourth quarter. This is something I wished they did with Allison who got lost in the shuffle last year.

cailuj365
08-24-2010, 03:44 AM
This may seem like a stupid question, but does Casey write his own songs?

Allskate
08-24-2010, 05:57 AM
This may seem like a stupid question, but does Casey write his own songs?

I don't think it's a stupid question. He does write some of his own songs, but there's not much of them online. There's an old myspace page with a few songs he recorded with an old band:

http://www.myspace.com/caseyjamesandcrossover

I'm not sure how representative it is of what he is doing now because these were recorded back in 2002.

According to an interview from a few days ago, his label already has started lining up some co-writers to work with him.

Kruss
08-30-2010, 02:51 AM
My highlights/lowlights of the Idol show in Chicago last night.

Highlights:

Vocals were much better than I expected, probably due to the aid of ear monitors for the singers (I harped on that during the season), and the absence of nerves while competing. I think the singers had a lot of fun during their individual sets. Katie surprised me with sold rock vocals, Casey's fabulous guitar skills were spotlighted during his set for which I'm grateful (and his singing was really good as well), and Mike's clear, controlled tones were absolutely gorgeous. While I got tired of Siobhan's frequent screaming during the season, her first one of her set (during Paint It Black) gave me chills. As many have said, Aaron's a perfect shoe-in for country/pop-country. He was impressive.

Lowlights:

With experience, I think/hope these kids will learn a bit more about performing. Many don't know yet how to play to the absolute back and top of the venue, so it seemed like only those in front of the stage on the main floor (maybe the first 1/2 of the arena) were the main audience. Tim was the first one who really acknowledged the entire arena, and a few others did so as well. But they all need to take that up a notch.

They also need to learn how to connect to their lyrics. I think the ones who did it the best were Mike and Crystal. Perhaps it's because these aren't their own songs they're singing? If so, I don't know if that's a great reason. Any singer should be able to connect if they take in what those lyrics really mean.

Many know I had a hard time with Lee winning based purely on his vocal talent. I think he definitely did a better job last night, but with no connection to lyrics and a very lazy style of singing, I think he's more of a musician than a singer. Not because he can't, because he HAS a voice. He just chooses to not use it to its fullest ability, and admitted in interviews he's more interested in getting the song out than sounding good every time. The big production of an arena concert may have helped him sound much better last night than on the show, but time will tell as he moves into his smaller first tour, especially without all the production and with much smaller crowds and venues.

Overall, I expected to like only 2 or 3 of the performers, and I ended up liking all of them.

taf2002
08-30-2010, 02:57 AM
I've been filling up my MP3 during the last week. Amazon had some free downloads so I put Lee's "Princess" on my song list. It has now been deleted. I found it to be really forgettable & boring.

OTOH, I paid for Adam "Whaddaya Want From Me" which is really good. I need some recommendations for what else I should download from him & others.

PrincessLeppard
08-30-2010, 03:03 AM
My favorite song on Adam's CD is "Fever." Words can not explain how much I love that song. And it's amazing live.

I also really like Music Again and Aftermath. :)