PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finals - May 25 and 26 (All Mediocre Things Must Come To An End)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

cailuj365
07-31-2010, 04:17 AM
My favorite version was the radio acoustic versions she was doing last fall.

:swoon: Yeah, that version was gorgeous.

PrincessLeppard
08-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Just got back from the Adam show in Vegas. It was excellent, which it should've been, since it took him over an hour to come on stage after the zzzzzzz of Orianthi. The show seems much better paced now.

My only gripe is the last song....Whole Lotta Love. The slowed down arrangement just didn't work for me, and it was kind of a weird way to end the show.

Allskate
08-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Just got back from the Adam show in Vegas.

Were you in the pool? :D

PrincessLeppard
08-01-2010, 06:54 PM
We were! You only had to wade in, so I didn't blind anyone with my pasty white skin. :D

Oh, and I have to add that Adam was especially sparkly and glittery last night. :swoon:

Allskate
08-01-2010, 08:25 PM
We were! You only had to wade in, so I didn't blind anyone with my pasty white skin. :D

That sounds like so much fun! I'd love to watch a concert from a wading pool on a warm summer's night.

cailuj365
08-03-2010, 04:39 AM
Glad you had fun, PrincessLeppard!

I can't imagine Orianthi being any more dull than she was when I saw her that night, but she's getting a lot of positive reviews from the press. :huh:

Allskate
08-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Crap. Nigel reportedly is being considered as a judge for Idol:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/08/03/american-idol-nigel-lythgoe-as-judge/

Blech. I honestly think I would prefer Jessica Simpson. Or even Kara!

I can't imagine Orianthi being any more dull than she was when I saw her that night, but she's getting a lot of positive reviews from the press. :huh:

I wonder if Orianthi realizes she's been taking her career in the wrong direction recently and should just be rocking out on her guitar. Allison said in an interview that she and Orianthi had talked about working together and bringing back some harder music.

Cheylana
08-04-2010, 01:16 AM
I was a fan of Allison on Idol but was rather disappointed in her performance on SYTYCD. Didn't care for the song all that much, although the chorus was kind of catchy. She just seemed to be sort of stomping around and mumbling. I mean it wasn't horrid or anything ... but I don't think that particular performance will gain her any new fans.

Yeah, I was disappointed too, she really had the marbles-in-the-mouth thing going.

jenny12
08-04-2010, 02:26 AM
Crap. Nigel reportedly is being considered as a judge for Idol:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/08/03/american-idol-nigel-lythgoe-as-judge/

Blech. I honestly think I would prefer Jessica Simpson. Or even Kara!

I agree. I find him unbelievable obnoxious and phony (it's embarrassing to watch him "moved" by a performance). I'd definitely prefer Jessica Simpson or Kara. They might be vapid, but I prefer that to Nigel's ickiness.

Allskate
08-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Well, this is different. According to Crystal, she's not actually going to record her album until the tour is over. She's going to be writing with Melissa Etheridge, Linda Perry, and Michael Franti once they're all done touring this summer. But, she says that most of the album is going to be from material she wrote before Idol.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1345089824?bctid=374661800001

(You have to skip past all the diabetes discussion to hear what she has to say about the album).

This is very different from how it's been done with Idol singers in the past. I wonder if they just realize that some of their own writers aren't all that great or if they're just impressed with Crystal's songwriting. The tour is ending earlier this year, but I still think it will be hard for her to get the album out by December if she's not starting to actually record until after the tour.

In the meantime, Casey says he has a band ready to go and he says he plans to do an album that is Texas blues, Texas rock, and Texas country. But still no official word on a recording contract. I'm kind of hoping he doesn't have one yet, because it probably would be with Sony Nashville and I don't think they'd have him make the kind of album I would like. But, it really does sound like a deal is pretty much done.

Kruss
08-04-2010, 07:11 PM
I wonder if the shakeup involving 19E parting ways with Sony/RCA has anything to do with both Crystal's news as well as Casey's.

Allskate
08-04-2010, 09:02 PM
I wonder if the shakeup involving 19E parting ways with Sony/RCA has anything to do with both Crystal's news as well as Casey's.

Because the folks at 19 are shifting their focus? Maybe. But I think it's really the label execs who make the calls on the album content. Besides, even if 19 is going to be changing record companies, they still want to make money from the Idols who have been signed to the Sony labels. I doubt they're suddenly not going to care what Kelly and Carrie do. From the few songs I've heard from Crystal, she's a better songwriter than most. So, they may just have decided to use her songs instead of spending more resources on A&R.

As for Casey, it took awhile for Sony Nashville to work out the contract with Danny last season. His contract hadn't been announced at this time last year. Plus, if may have taken awhile for them to work out what kind of album it would be. There also have been mention of his "band," so I'm wondering if he's looking to sign an entire band and not just himself. I don't think it really has much to do with next year's change to different labels.

PeterG
08-04-2010, 09:26 PM
It might work in Crystal's favour if she releases her CD in the new year. She will not battle any big pre-Christmas releases, so her CD will debut higher on the charts. Plus her single might do better released in February or March when radio is more hungry for something new.

All of the Idols have released their debut albums in November or December, right? Never any other months? Maybe it's time to try a new gameplan. :40beers:

cailuj365
08-04-2010, 10:51 PM
I think the change to Universal Music Group will be good...they have some major artists at Interscope.

I doubt that Crystal is changing record labels. I don't think it's possible to get out of a contract that easily. I think she can get her album out by Christmas though, especially if she already has most of the material written for it already. It may get lost in the Christmas shuffle though, and January sales are never very good. Maybe it is good to wait until February.

Allskate
08-05-2010, 12:16 AM
It might work in Crystal's favour if she releases her CD in the new year. She will not battle any big pre-Christmas releases, so her CD will debut higher on the charts. Plus her single might do better released in February or March when radio is more hungry for something new.

Good point about the single, but she probably will have lower sales figures even if she debuts higher on the charts -- she will have missed out on all the Christmas gift sales. If the label has all the musical tracks done by the time she finishes the tour and she can just spend a couple of weeks recording the vocals at the beginning of September, she might make it time for December. She's already going to know the lyrics and have the phrasing down, so recording should go quicky on most of the songs.

It's just those few songs with Michael Franti and Melissa Etheridge that will be harder to complete in time and might not make the album if the label is insistent on getting the album out this year. (Presumably she could work with Linda Perry this month since Perry isn't on tour.)

Anyway, I really like who she's working with on co-writes and I like what I've heard of her own songwriting, so I'm looking forward to hearing this album.