PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finals - May 25 and 26 (All Mediocre Things Must Come To An End)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Kruss
07-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Nope, I don't see them as stunts. I see them as Adam being Adam. He's a theater performer who sings very well (except the screeches which I'll never be a fan of). He's performing as he wants to, and he and his fans love it which is cool. Like I said, it's just not my cuppa.

And I agree that Allison is not at the point where she could headline. I just would like to see her in concert at some point, but I'm not going to pay a lot of $$ just to see an opening act. IMO, TPTB have mishandled her career as well, trying to make a pop princess out of her when she's truly a rock musician. But she's young, and I think she has every opportunity for making a career out of this. I hope so, anyway. Meanwhile, I'm glad she's getting exposure on a tour - any tour.

Allskate
07-22-2010, 07:26 PM
IMO, TPTB have mishandled her career as well, trying to make a pop princess out of her when she's truly a rock musician.

They've done the same thing with Orianthi only worse. If you look at her older performances,they're nothing like "According to Him." Orianthi's voice isn't nearly as good as Allison's, but I've seen youtube videos of her with Carlos Santana and others of her doing some blues, and she is a very talented guitarist, who could put together a good rock band.

Allison's debut album wasn't as pop princessy as I feared. And she is good at doing rock ballads. I think the problem is not just that they tried to mix in pop, but that it's just hard to market a teenager who sounds like she does. She would have had an easier road if she had waited a few years, IMO. But, I'm really glad that Adam is getting her more exposure by having her open for him. And I'm hoping that, in the future, her label will let her rock out a little more.

cailuj365
07-22-2010, 07:45 PM
When Crystal mentioned that Michael Franti was one of the people she's love to work with, I definitely didn't think that was likely to happen. In addition to having a different style, he just doesn't seem the type who would work with an Idol. But, it turns out that he really likes her and has agreed to work with her. So, maybe they'll come up with a great uptempo songs that will work for radio.

That's for sure! The ability to draw in audiences probably varies by location. He's sold out two shows in San Francisco. He probably couldn't do that everywhere.

Cool, I hope things work out for Crystal's album. Is there word on the release date yet? I remember Lee's is supposed to be in October or something earlier than November at least. I wonder if Crystal will follow suit. Also, you may have mentioned this earlier, but did Casey ever get signed?

Yeah, in addition to San Francisco, Adam sold out two shows in NYC and Tokyo, Japan. He has two shows in the LA/Orange County region (venue capacity: 8500) and Atlanta as well, both of which has one show sold out. The second show in LA seems nearly sold out as well. He has two shows in Honolulu (haha, cool!) too. They haven't gone on sale yet though. Those cities make sense to me as the ones to put on two shows (save for Honolulu, but maybe they wanted to have a little vacay? haha). Of the handful of shows that aren't sold out, about half are in the non-urban Southern regions. This...is not surprising. :lol:

Adam is one of the few tours that's doing well. Most of the other concerts playing in Vegas have gone to two-for-one tickets. My sister called to get us tickets to Adam's show there, and it's not, and is nearly sold out. :cheer2:
So I'm going.

Also pondering the Des Moines show on September 3rd....

Vegas was one of the shows that was initially sold out and then released more tickets. That venue seems interesting. I saw pictures, and the stage and the audience are separated by a pool?? (And on getting more tickets....dooooo ittttt......you know you wanna. :P)

Nope, I don't see them as stunts. I see them as Adam being Adam. He's a theater performer who sings very well (except the screeches which I'll never be a fan of). He's performing as he wants to, and he and his fans love it which is cool. Like I said, it's just not my cuppa.

And I agree that Allison is not at the point where she could headline. I just would like to see her in concert at some point, but I'm not going to pay a lot of $$ just to see an opening act. IMO, TPTB have mishandled her career as well, trying to make a pop princess out of her when she's truly a rock musician. But she's young, and I think she has every opportunity for making a career out of this. I hope so, anyway. Meanwhile, I'm glad she's getting exposure on a tour - any tour.

Oh good. :) I'm glad we're on the same page here.

Oh, Orianthi. She's not on the same label as Allison, but they do have the same management company. I think her "According to You" was the only radio-friendly song from her album. She released a new song as her second single. IIRC (and it's really quite hard to remember actually...:P), the other songs in her set were much more blues/hard rock. It must be weird for her early fans. It would like the definition of "selling out" to me.

Allskate
07-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Cool, I hope things work out for Crystal's album. Is there word on the release date yet? I remember Lee's is supposed to be in October or something earlier than November at least. I wonder if Crystal will follow suit. Also, you may have mentioned this earlier, but did Casey ever get signed?

I don't think Crystal has mentioned a release date. She says she wants to get it right, so if it's next year, then so be it. But, I doubt her label would be willing to release the album any later than the beginning of December. She did say that she thinks at least some of her own existing originals would be on the album, so I guess that saves some time.

As for Casey, it's widely believed that he has signed with Sony Nashville, but there has been no formal announcement. He definitely went out there to talk to them and said the meeting went well. His mother tweeted that Casey's brother had to audition to work with Casey. (The brother apparently is a talented bass player.) So, this also seems to indicate that there is a label that is in the process of planning the recording for a Casey album. Since he can't sign with any non-19 label before the end of the tour, this would suggest that it's Sony Nashville. I seem to recall that Danny announced his contract fairly late in the tour, so maybe that will happen with Casey, too. I do wonder what the label thinks of his concert set, though. "Don't" is kind of a little bit country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0fdSA7ZN34

But "I Got Mine" definitely is not country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsTLoL-0ggY

And I wouldn't classify "It's All Over Now" as country either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alGp5_rKhbQ&feature=related

I'm hoping that the album will be a combination of country/folk, southern rock, and Texas blues. But, I'm guessing it will be much more like Rascall Flatts meets Keith Urban. :(

PrincessLeppard
07-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Vegas was one of the shows that was initially sold out and then released more tickets. That venue seems interesting. I saw pictures, and the stage and the audience are separated by a pool?? (And on getting more tickets....dooooo ittttt......you know you wanna. :P)

If you want to be in the front, you have to be in the pool. My sister assures me this does not mean treading water, but it does mean being in a bathing suit.

I'm off to run five miles now. :P

I totally agree that Adam's show is nothing like his performance on the AMAs. I think Kruss would be surprised by that. And also by the lack of shrieking. ;)

cailuj365
07-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Don't" is kind of a little bit country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0fdSA7ZN34

But "I Got Mine" definitely is not country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsTLoL-0ggY

And I wouldn't classify "It's All Over Now" as country either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alGp5_rKhbQ&feature=related

I'm hoping that the album will be a combination of country/folk, southern rock, and Texas blues. But, I'm guessing it will be much more like Rascall Flatts meets Keith Urban. :(

Oooh, "I Got Mine" is kinda sexy...:smokin: I kind of get this pretty-white-boy version of Lenny Kravitz from that. I am not opposed to this. ;) It's obvious that he's much more a guitarist than a singer though. Without the guitar skills, he probably wouldn't be as interesting. I'm guessing he doesn't perform without it.

If you want to be in the front, you have to be in the pool. My sister assures me this does not mean treading water, but it does mean being in a bathing suit.

I'm off to run five miles now. :P

I totally agree that Adam's show is nothing like his performance on the AMAs. I think Kruss would be surprised by that. And also by the lack of shrieking. ;)

:eek: LOL! That sounds awesome if you're still in shape and can look good in a bikini, but oh man, if not... :scream: Oh dear. Maybe the gay boys of Vegas will come out and entertain Adam in their swim trunks? I feel like that would be a win for all parties.

I can totally understand why people think Adam screeches and shrieks. I used to think that too! All of the Idol performances had that kind of shriek sound to me (albeit a very technically challenging and smooth shriek). But in an actual live venue, his voice is soooo smooth and really, really effortless. It's not a shriek at all, just high!

ETA: Hopefully, this link is accessible, but if anyone's curious about the statistics from Adam's sales and # of tickets available, a very dedicated fan put together this amazing chart: GlamNation Tour ticket sales (http://pics.livejournal.com/satanicfloret/pic/0001ygsh).

Allskate
07-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I think Kruss would be surprised by that. And also by the lack of shrieking. ;)

Lack of shrieking by Adam or by the fans? ;)

One of the reasons I'm ambivalent about seeing the Idol concert is because of shrieking tweens.

Oooh, "I Got Mine" is kinda sexy...:smokin: I kind of get this pretty-white-boy version of Lenny Kravitz from that. I am not opposed to this. ;) It's obvious that he's much more a guitarist than a singer though. Without the guitar skills, he probably wouldn't be as interesting. I'm guessing he doesn't perform without it.

Yeah, his singing isn't bad (definitely better than on the tv show), but his guitar playing definitely is his biggest strength. Plus, I personally love seeing a guy really get into his guitar playing and performing, and Casey is at his hottest IMO when he's in his element rocking out on the guitar. Some of the stuff he did during his hometown visit (which they never showed on tv) was really great.

Casey said that Sinatra week was the first time he ever sang without a guitar and he's never going to do it again. :lol:

PrincessLeppard
07-23-2010, 02:23 AM
Lack of shrieking by Adam or by the fans? ;)

One of the reasons I'm ambivalent about seeing the Idol concert is because of shrieking tweens.

By Adam. :P

Um, I saw the tour with the Davids and was surrounded by Archie fans. I don't think my ears have ever recovered. :scream:

eta: cal, I'm hoping for lots of scantily clad pretty boys. Gay or straight. It's all good. :grope:

cailuj365
07-24-2010, 08:19 PM
The nice thing about my concert was that I was seated and flanked by two calm grandmas on my left and a middle-aged couple on my right. All of the crazy, screaming fans were smooshed together in the bottom two pits. :D

PrincessLeppard, the Vegas show sold out yesterday. You and your sister got tickets just in the nick of time!

cailuj365
07-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Whoa, Allison and Orianthi are going to be on SYTYCD this Thursday! They're doing "Don't Waste The Pretty." This is an amazing opportunity for her, but I don't know if it will result in much sales as there has been so little exposure to the song before this. Good to see that 19 is still working for her though.

Allskate
07-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Whoa, Allison and Orianthi are going to be on SYTYCD this Thursday! They're doing "Don't Waste The Pretty." This is an amazing opportunity for her, but I don't know if it will result in much sales as there has been so little exposure to the song before this. Good to see that 19 is still working for her though.

That's awesome! At least there will be one good thing about this week's results show.

cailuj365
07-30-2010, 04:51 AM
Allison and Orianthi's performance on SYTYCD (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7979666/21146497)

Wow, she looks so tan! I liked some parts of that performance and didn't like others. She needs to learn how to control that hand of hers, lol. What did you guys think?

Sally1214
07-30-2010, 05:17 AM
I was a fan of Allison on Idol but was rather disappointed in her performance on SYTYCD. Didn't care for the song all that much, although the chorus was kind of catchy. She just seemed to be sort of stomping around and mumbling. I mean it wasn't horrid or anything ... but I don't think that particular performance will gain her any new fans.

She was actually shown up by Orianthi with her stellar guitar playing. I didn't realize until tonight how really, really pretty Orianthi is.

cailuj365
07-31-2010, 01:36 AM
I was a fan of Allison on Idol but was rather disappointed in her performance on SYTYCD. Didn't care for the song all that much, although the chorus was kind of catchy. She just seemed to be sort of stomping around and mumbling. I mean it wasn't horrid or anything ... but I don't think that particular performance will gain her any new fans.

She was actually shown up by Orianthi with her stellar guitar playing. I didn't realize until tonight how really, really pretty Orianthi is.

Yeah, I have to say that it was pretty hard to understand what she was saying. Her voice also seemed fresher when I saw her live in NYC. Granted, that was over a month ago, and she's been touring all this time. Her backup singer's voice sounded cleaner to me though. I don't remember the spazzy hand movements on Idol. It's really distracting. I feel like if she had done them on the show, one of the judges would have definitely said something. I love the song though. Although, I actually prefer the original over the Orianthi version!

Allskate
07-31-2010, 01:40 AM
Allison has always had the spastic hand thing going on.

But, I do have to admit that I think this is the worst performance of DWTP I've heard from her. It's not even as good as the recorded version with Orianthi. I don't know whose idea this particular arrangement was, but it wasn't a good one. She was harder to understand than usual because she wasn't singing entire lines. For a lot of the chorus, it was just one or two words and then sometimes finished by background singers. My favorite version was the radio acoustic versions she was doing last fall.