PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finals - May 25 and 26 (All Mediocre Things Must Come To An End)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Kruss
07-13-2010, 03:01 AM
:lol: Yeah, yeah. A likely story. BTW, Casey apparently uses five or six guitars in his short set on the Idol tour. Lots of guitar playing. So, if you're going, have your camera ready. I like the guitar he has with the hummingbird on it.

That was so nice that those girls offered to switch places with you during Kris's set. Glad you liked the concert.

Which one is Cale?

Cale is the guy to Kris's right, on guitar and piano.

I am excited to get photos of Casey's guitars, but I'm on the second level so I don't expect close-ups unless I luck out with better tickets closer to the show. I didn't realize Casey had a Hummingbird! Those are gorgeous (by Gibson).

cailuj365
07-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Nice photos, Kruss! You must have a great camera. All of the photos are so clear. I'm still a little miffed that Kris happened to get sick on the day of my AI tour date. I would like to hear him live one day.

I watched a video of Crystal on Leno the other day. She sounded good! Her style is very 90s though.

Adam's website has confirmed that he's has sold 1 million albums worldwide. That means that about a third of his sales have come from overseas. Good for him! He's continuing the Glam Nation tour in Asia and Europe after he's done here. I kind of hope that he changes the name to Glam World at that point...:P

MOIJTO
07-16-2010, 01:30 AM
Hey I finally heard a Kris Allen song, and although I do not like Adam Lamberts new single at all I have to say that Kris Allen's is far worse.

I have a feeling this years winner will end up the same, gosh I don't even remember his name already. :slinkaway

Kruss
07-16-2010, 03:42 AM
Nice photos, Kruss! You must have a great camera. All of the photos are so clear. I'm still a little miffed that Kris happened to get sick on the day of my AI tour date. I would like to hear him live one day.

Thank you very much!! It's a Canon PowerShot 20x, my new baby (to join my other one, a Canon Rebel). Now to do some indoor concert shots - that's going to be much more difficult.

Allskate
07-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Has anyone been to this summer's Idol tour yet? Ten dollar tickets became available yesterday and I passed on them, but now I'm thinking it might be worth ten bucks.

Apparently, Bret Michaels is out of consideration to be the new Idol judge:
http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/07/idol-judge-isaak-connick-trump-.html

I don't think he realistically could have done it since he's scheduled for heart surgery later this year. Chris Isaak and Harry Connick, Jr. are rumored to be in contention. I thought Harry was great as a mentor, but I wonder how he'd be with songs outside of his genre and if they'd try to make him be less technical. I like Chris Isaak's music, but don't have much of a sense of his personality. I never saw the tv show he did. Donald Trump wants the job. If they hire him, I think that would be the end of my Idol watching. I can't stand that guy.

Kruss
07-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Has anyone been to this summer's Idol tour yet? Ten dollar tickets became available yesterday and I passed on them, but now I'm thinking it might be worth ten bucks.

My show got moved from 8/30 to 8/28. I'm going mainly for Casey and Crystal. Lee better wow me, being that he'll be the home-town boy and I'm not too enamored with his performances on the show.

I got all excited to see Alison Iraheta's tour got extended, but then I saw it was extended on Adam's tour. No thanks, I don't want to pay full price for 1/2 a show.

Allskate
07-21-2010, 07:49 PM
I got all excited to see Alison Iraheta's tour got extended, but then I saw it was extended on Adam's tour. No thanks, I don't want to pay full price for 1/2 a show.

When I found out Allison was extended (and heard good things about Adam's show), I tried to get tickets, but it was too late. Sold out.

Kruss
07-21-2010, 09:46 PM
When I found out Allison was extended (and heard good things about Adam's show), I tried to get tickets, but it was too late. Sold out.

That's interesting, because I heard some venues have people trying to give those tickets away. I wonder if seats will become available closer to the show? Check closer to the date, you may find some opening up, depending on where it is. :)

PrincessLeppard
07-22-2010, 12:11 AM
That's interesting, because I heard some venues have people trying to give those tickets away. I wonder if seats will become available closer to the show? Check closer to the date, you may find some opening up, depending on where it is. :)

Adam is one of the few tours that's doing well. Most of the other concerts playing in Vegas have gone to two-for-one tickets. My sister called to get us tickets to Adam's show there, and it's not, and is nearly sold out. :cheer2:
So I'm going.

Also pondering the Des Moines show on September 3rd....

seafoam
07-22-2010, 12:54 AM

Well, I just checked several of the shows I'm interested in on Stubhub, and they're still charging way over face value for good seats. This is for shows happening this week. Maybe they have some last minute discount tickets for nosebleeds or seats in the back forty, but it doesn't seem to be the norm. What I really don't understand is scalpers charging exhorbitant prices for general admission :huh:

I have noticed that there are lots of BOGO and ten dollar specials for other tours--including Idols Live. I spent something like $80 or $90 for a ticket to last year's Idols show on Stubhub--worth every penny, if only for Kradison.

The fact that they just keep adding more dates and booking second shows at some venues makes me think that Adam's tour is probably doing quite well, considering that some big name tours are struggling in this dreary economy. And the audiences are crazy, lol.

He'll be touring in Asia, Europe and Australia from mid-September to December. I'm curious to see how the Manila show will sell--it's a huge venue. He's doing great on radio there, so we shall see.

If you haven't seen him live yet--I hope you get tickets. He's really fantastic live; videos and audio recordings don't do his voice justice. And he's just wickedly entertaining. So happy that Allison will be opening for him the rest of the tour!

BTW, I saw Kris's headlining show in a local venue. He and the band were great :) Lots of energy. Kris and Cale sound so good harmonizing together.

Allskate
07-22-2010, 01:08 AM
I think Adam was very smart to do smaller venues, especially in this economy. The Idol tour is booked in huge venues. (The one here seats 22,000). The venue Adam is playing seats just 2200. From what I've seen, Live Nation's ten buck specials generally aren't for the smaller venues and they are only for the nosebleed and lawn seats. I guess they figure they'll practically give tickets away for those seats and at least make money off of parking, merchandise, and concessions.

Kruss
07-22-2010, 03:50 AM
I'm not saying Adam is doing poorly, I'm just saying often good seats come up right before the show, sometimes the day of. Just tried giving you an option. I've heard many different stories of the success of the tour, so I suppose it varies. Some places are sold out, some places that people insisted had sold out in reality had a ton of empty seats to where the audience was asked to move way up to fill seats. So each venue and situation is going to be different, but that's the same for many concerts, not just Adam. I think it's probably more a sign of how concerts in general are faring.

As for trying out Adam's show, nope, not my cuppa. I was a very early Adam fan, but I am more about music and vocals instead of theatrics, so it's not really a show I'm interested in. I'm also not into any of his music - I've disliked all his singles, they are not my style. Loved his voice in the early stages of AI, but the more over-the-top he became, the more he lost me. Someone with a voice like that should just sing, IMO. I am not entertained by his stage antics. It's just a matter of different tastes. :)

For what it's worth, Adam is doing many of the same venues David Cook played in. They're great venues that a lot of people really enjoyed, so I'm sure his audience is having fun at these stops.

cailuj365
07-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Yes, it's true that many venues will suddenly release 20 or so tickets on the day of the show, even if the show had been sold out for weeks in advance. Perhaps if you're lucky, Allskate, you could snag one of those tickets. I just find it a little risky.

Scalpers - oh, excuse me, "fans" - buy tickets to hot concerts in huge quantities during pre-sales or regular sales and of course, charge ridiculous prices. I bought my Nokia tickets for $75 each on Stubhub, because I was shut out on three separate days for the pre-sale and sale. (They were all sold within seconds! So ridiculous!) I considered that a steal, though! Considering I had to buy $120 tickets for a back section to see the AI arena tour last year that only featured about 20 minutes of Adam, I thought that $75 was well worth it.

Do all of the Stubhub tickets go? No, of course not, because some of the sellers charg. $200 for a ticket that another seller is selling for $50. I have no idea why they find it logical to go for that much money, especially at the end. Some of Adam's concert dates have completely sold out Stubhub tickets as well, which is cool.

The main point, though, is that nearly all tickets - if not 100% - are sold to someone at the full price set by management/venue, which means that the they and Adam can collect revenue from it. Contrast this to Jordin's concert whose venues were giving away tickets for $1 or the 2 for 1 deals at some large venue tours. I do think it was wise for Adam to go for smaller and less common venues. It keeps the cost down. On the other hand, I think he could easily have sold out slightly larger venues too. In any case, "Adam Lambert - SOLD OUT!" looks a lot better than "Christina Aguilera - CANCELLED." :/

Edit: Hmm, I haven't heard of venues asking for people to come down to fill the seats. Perhaps that large arena in Toronto though. I think it holds about 15,000 including lawn seating. I think about 8-10,000 people attended, which is still very good for an artist who only had one single at the time. (IIHY has just gone Top 10 there.)

Allskate
07-22-2010, 06:19 PM
When Crystal mentioned that Michael Franti was one of the people she's love to work with, I definitely didn't think that was likely to happen. In addition to having a different style, he just doesn't seem the type who would work with an Idol. But, it turns out that he really likes her and has agreed to work with her. So, maybe they'll come up with a great uptempo songs that will work for radio.

I do think it was wise for Adam to go for smaller and less common venues. It keeps the cost down. On the other hand, I think he could easily have sold out slightly larger venues too. In any case, "Adam Lambert - SOLD OUT!" looks a lot better than "Christina Aguilera - CANCELLED." :/

That's for sure! The ability to draw in audiences probably varies by location. He's sold out two shows in San Francisco. He probably couldn't do that everywhere.

I'll probably not see Adam and Allison in concert. I don't want to go by myself and my one Idol-loving friend isn't the type to make last minute plans. She wants to go to the Idol concert, but I'm not sure I'd be into that. Maybe if ten dollar tickets become available again.

cailuj365
07-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Kruss, if you don't enjoy Adam's music or personality, then I agree that this concert is most likely not for you. However, I hope that people aren't misjudging the "theatrics" during his show as stunts. His AMA performance was mostly stunts, but this show isn't. Not during any point in the show did I feel like something took away from the music or his voice. His presence is so commanding that it's hard to look away or be distracted by something else. I know that he's got these cheesy images going on in the background, but I don't even remember seeing them. His theatricality is more a part of his personality, IMO. I think there's a difference between that and an artist who starts gushing blood everywhere (I'm looking at you, Gaga) or brandishing guns in the background (hey there, Rihanna). The small kisses to his bassist have come few and far between on this tour actually. Some choreographed and improvised dancing and ornate costumes are about as theatrical as the concert gets. Also, the entire middle section is just Adam. At one point, he sits down on the stairs with his guitarist and just sings. If you prefer watching a concert of just that though, then this is not that concert.

On the topic of Allison...let's be real here. There's no way that she could headline her own tour at this point. It's probably hard getting her onto somebody else's tour too. Her fanbase from Idol is small and she doesn't have any hits. :/ I'm so glad that she's been extended for the rest of the tour though. Goodness, if it was just Orianthi opening, what a DRAG that would be!